“Great if you are not paying full price”

DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre
Ranked #19 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Spent 2 nights here for a quick weeked getaway following Hilton Hotels half price weekend offer. Platinum room with breakfast for £67 rather than £135. Due to snow flight diverted and so we arrived around 10pm rather than 7.30pm to fiund that the 4 start hotel had basically closed down for the night. The bar did offer food in a less than inviting area and 2 salads with 2 sodas was £23, to be fair the food was good but £10 for a lot of lettuce leaves was a little OTT. The biggest issue was that on arrival on a freezing cold night the room heating was not on. It was freezing cold and we sat in the room with our coats on till the tiny electric heater started to warm the room up. The bar was no better and we both kept our coats on when eating.
The room itself was nice and a good size, the kettle was missing and when we asked for another it took 30 mins to get one. In that time I had also visited recepotion to get hotwater and complain that we were still waiting.
Next day had breakfast which was superb and found that the hotrel was right next to the beach. Lots of snow overnight so a winter wonderland view.
Did have to laugh at the welcome letter from the area manager which recommended us to the spa. When I booked I did so before checking on spa availability and having booked and paid discovered that 3 weeks in advance you could not get any treatments as there is just one member of staff and she was fully booked. When we got there tried to have look only to find that it was locked up at 3pm on a Saturday.
Spent the day at the Marcliffe Spa where would would have stayed had Hilton not had such an attractive deal.
Sunday's breakfast was not up tot he same standard as Saturday but good none the less.
Hotel made no effort to grit or clear paths and as a result entrance was sheet ce and dangerous. Taxis had a hard time getting in and out as did we when walking.
Overall a nice hotel in good location but seriously over priced at full rate and never in this world a 4 star hotel. The people who award these stars frankly have not got a clue. I reakon hotels can buy the status. At £67 it is value for money. At £135 it is not. Staff were fine but noting outstanding and the delay in getting a new kette typical of other posts for this hotel.
So would recommend but only if getting deal.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Binman62
CraigEwan_8, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I do really appreciate all feedback, it helps us review our business and operational standards.

I was glad to read that overall yo enjoyed your stay and you found the "January Sale" offered you good value. I take your feedback on board about the temperature on arrival into your room and we are currently reviewing how to improve this for future guests.

The hotel has just appointed a new very experienced beauty spa manager who will address the availability issues.

The other operational feedback I have feedback to our operations team and will work on to improve response times.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Craig Ewan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,453)

Reviewed December 22, 2009

Booked a standard room at £105, and asked for a Quiet Room, which it was until about 2130 when the party started immediately downstairs. The music was absolutely Thumping through the floor and would have been impossible to sleep with.

I went down to reception to ifnorm them of their contradiction, and the person on reception could not have been any more accomodating, imeediately apologising and gave me another room . I was pleased to find out this was an executive room and was, as I had asked, very quiet, but I felt for the people who had to put up with the ridiculously loud music which went on past midnight. The hotel should really look are assigning their rooms carefully on party nights like this.

The Difference between the standard and Executive rooms is incredible, and I could not quite believe they both still had CRT TV's in a HIlton!!

Anyway a very comfy and quiet nights sleep ensued and breakfast was nice, but I would not come to this hotel on holiday as it is way too expensive.

1  Thank gazburns

Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate you taking the time to write it. I am glad that you had a good nights sleep after you were reallocated an alternative room. I apologise your first room was allocated over the banqueting suite on a party night. We have carried out addition front office training to prevent this from occuring again. There are three levels of rooms at Doubletree Aberdeen, Classic, Premier and Platinmum. All the Platinum rooms (42) have new flat screen TV's fitted in 2009 and has free HSIA.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed December 11, 2009

The room was fairly standard, not particularly nice but decent nonetheless. The restaurant though, was horrible. I had what I thought would be a carbonara, but actually was a pasta soup with grey milk. The hotel is ok, but for the love of anything, stay away from the restaurant.

1  Thank Schroedinger

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor, I appreciate your feedback.

I am glad you found the hotel bedrooms comfortable and they helped you enjoy your stay. If possible could I ask you to contact our operations manager regarding your feedback to the food you ordered. I am slightly confused as I have checked with our exec chef and the hotel has not had a pasta carbonara dish on any of its menus in over one year.

If you are able to assist us, I would be grateful.

Reviewed December 7, 2009

The double room we booked was small and tired. Bathroom old, smells, and in need of re-furbishment. Breakfast was good, with a decent selection of hot food. Leisure centre seems well appointed, although we did not use it. Overall over-priced for this class of hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
CraigEwan_8, General manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2010

Thank you for your trip advisor feedback. I was glad to read that you found that we have a fully equipped leisure club and the hotel isvery well located. I am glad you enjoyed your Doubletree breakfast. I apologise that you found the hotel tired in areas and overpriced.

Reviewed December 5, 2009

Typical Hilton Doubletree fare, but in my opinion tries harder than the Hilton Aberdeen Treetops Hotel and represents much better value.

There is a Platinum Club Wing which is essentially the Executive floor. This has a separate bar/dining room area from the main hotel. Very attentive service from some lovely eastern European staff.

My room (upgrade HHonors Diamond) was perfect. Large King Bed, well appointed bathroom (Doubletree amenities are better than Hilton!) complete with work area and setee.

High-speed Internet is free for Platinum Club wing guests.

Typical Hilton breakfasts.

Location is excellent for town and for the Dyce industrial areas even in the infamous Aberdeen traffic (take the back roads - 10minutes). Also good for the Altens estates but of course subject to the bridges.

In summary: Good location, good example of a Doubletree Hotel. This is my first choice hotel in Aberdeen.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business

Thank you for your trip advisor feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at Doubletree by Hilton, we do operate high Hilton standards and work hard to try and exceed these. Our Platinum rooms are our top level of room options and really are worth the addition upgrade fee.Included in this is free WIFI and soft drinks and chocolates in the hotel mini bar. I am glad Doubletree is your first choice of hotel in Aberdeen. Our location is excellent for the city, access and as you say easy to get to most places.

Reviewed November 23, 2009

The hotel is situated near the beach, union street and kadonas making is a great location for leisure. the hotel itself is really comfortable with descent rooms, good swimming pool, good breakfast food and computers. the only thing to make it absaloutley perfect would be for the staff to make a tiny bit more assistance to guests then it would definetley have nothing wrong with it. we stay here all the time and really enjoy it and a lot of other reviews are disapointing in my opinion.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank fujaa
Reviewed November 7, 2009

Will be going to Aberdeen again on course & will hound the Boss to put me in the Platinum suites again if the budget permits...!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you had a fantastic stay and found our Platinum rooms to have stunning views and bedroom quality. They do.

I hope to see you back at the hotel in the near future.