“Aberdeen Baker Hughes 10km race”

DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre
Ranked #19 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I found this hotel perfectly placed for staying whilst I was preparing to run in the Baker Hughes 10km run. It is situated just beside the start line. This hotel was very clean, breakfast was excellent and the staff very friendly.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
1  Thank Richard B
Hemant M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Dear Richard B, thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.

It is always a pleasure to receive such positive comments, and I’ll make sure that your feedback is passed onto the whole team, who will be pleased to hear that. I hope you achieved a good time in the Baker Hughes 10K race. Thanks again for your feedback and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre

Reviewed May 20, 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a lovely 3 night stay. We arrived on Friday afternoon and were told we were booked into the Platinum Club. This is a seperate building with it's own reception and bar. On arrival we were welcomed with a warm cookie which was very tasty and also given a voucher to get a complimentary drink in the bar later. We were given room 606 which overlooked the sea. The room was lovely and very large, the bathroom was a bit on the small side but was clean. We had a kingsize bed which was really comfy. The tv was about a 42in. In the room there was also a iron and ironing board, a safe and a fridge which had a few complimentary drinks in it and were re filled daily. The only negative about the room was the hairdryer. It reminded me of being abroad and seemed to be a cheaper option. I recommend anyone take their own. The bar in the Platinum Club is quite small and only holds a few brands and no draught beer. I think this is because most people go over to the main bar. It was still nice to have a drink in there and use our voucher. The main bar is nice and the prices of the drinks are what you would expect of a hotel. The prices on the bar menu seem expensive however when we got our meal it was lovely and well worth it. We never had breakfast or ate in the dining room so can not comment on that. I can honestly say that all of the staff were lovely but it seems a shame there isnt more locally employed staff working there. We will definetly be back and thank you for a great stay.

Room Tip: Would recommend the Platinum Club was really quiet
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you Gemma B, for taking the time to share your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to read that you had a lovely weekend stay in our Platinum Club. I will certainly make sure I pass on your comments with the whole team who will be delighted to hear that.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back to the DoubleTree by Hilton, Aberdeen City Centre in the future.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

Arrived Friday 16th of May got a hot cookie on arrival booked in really easy we got a room 254 above front door bit noisy when window was opened had a not bad view, room lovely and clean except a crack in bathroom sink, breakfast was great expect for the sausage's were disgusting, went for a swim sauna and steam room changing room a bit dated but we enjoyed our stay my friend's where in room 236 one window really dark inside and looked out to a side view of the other building. we were in a classic room.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you Mary C, thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in your classic room. I am sorry for the crack in the sink, we are in the process of updating the bathrooms in the classic rooms and room 254 has still to be done. Thanks again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

The hotel can be good or bad having stayed numerous times. The platinum club is nice and the hotel is very good at trying to upgrade diamond guests. It is also quite a relaxing area and only 10 minutes walk from the city centre. However, they have now decided to charge Diamond guests for hot breakfast (and the continental selection is poor and the hot not amazing), The hotel will fall back on saying it is brand standards (basically doing minimum). However no other Hilton follows the same policy and most doubletrees also do the same (eg heathrow reversed it after complaints online). Trouble is the hotel relies on oil people who are on expenses. As an aside they do give a drinks voucher, although there is no exec lounge. Perhaps more frustrating is that the gm who replies on here tried to fob me off with his pa and despite repeated requests, never bothered to reply or make contact! With over 180 nights last year to the Hilton brand - clearly loyalty doesn't worry him. There are good points about the hotel but for a more balanced and less up and down stay, I would recommend the Hilton Garden Inn (and which has excellent reviews on here).

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Hemant M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear bikevail09, thank your for reviewing your recent stay on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoy staying in the Platinum Club when we are able to upgrade you. With regards your feedback about breakfast, we are constantly working to maintain and improve the breakfast experience for our guests, We currently exceed the DoubleTree standard in terms of the number of buffet items offered and I am sorry if this did not meet you expectations. We do appreciate your feedback however, as we are always trying to improve what we do and I hope you will have the chance to stay again.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

With no air con and, in several rooms, not even a window to open, combined with a bed specially designed to make you as hot as possible once you're in it, you will, at best, sleep until 2am when you will wake up hotter than you've ever felt before in your life and will then have no chance of getting back to sleep. Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed here last Friday and Saturday for bed and breakfast. I was a little bit concerned about some of the negative comments I had read on tripadvisor about the hotel, however, as we have stayed here before we chose to ignore these remarks. From the time we checked in until the time we checked out I have to say we could not fault the customer service from the staff. Our standard room was maybe a bit small but the housekeeping staff kept it very clean. At breakfast each morning we were given a very warm welcome, the food was well cooked and plenty of it. This hotel does not charge for car parking. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to Union Street.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hemant M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Dear Tug61, thank you for reviewing your stay on TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and the kind words you say about the staff, I’ll be sure to share this with them. Thanks once again, and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Arrived considerably earlier than the advertised check in time as had things to do during the day and took a chance would be able to check in.

Unfortunately room wasn't ready but the member of staff happily allowed me to complete the paperwork to save time later which was ideal.

The check in was smooth and efficient and being offered a warm cookie whilst checking in was a bit quirky but having been driving for a few hours was actually quite welcome.

The room was clean, comfortable and spacious and could actually see the sea from it and not one of those views where you have to squint between 2 buildings and in the distance there's the briefest glimpse!

The bed was very comfortable.

Breakfast was the standard buffet style, tasty with a very good selection however it suffered from the usual problem - the food never stays particularly hot under the lights. Not sure how that can ever be dealt with as it seems just to be a standard problem wherever hot lights are used.

The leisure centre was clean with a reasonable sized pool.

All the staff I encountered ie reception, dining and leisure centre were extremely polite and helpful.

The interior of the hotel itself is starting to look a bit run down and would maybe benefit from a refurbishment.

It's about 20 minutes from the town centre but ideal for the Esplanade.

The only downside is that the main road outside seems to be used as a local racetrack but not a lot the hotel can do about that.

All in all, was value for money.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Hemant M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear Colin M, thank you for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor. I am pleased to hear that you had a great stay and enjoyed the views of the sea. I will be sure to share your comments regarding the staff with the whole team and they will be delighted to hear that. Thanks again for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.