“Filthy steamroom”

Ranked #20 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Filthy steamroom”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed at the Doubletree for one night with my wife & young son while visiting Aberdeen Jazz Festival. Staff are pleasant, cookies on arrival a nice touch but Wi-fi charges a bit of a rip-off (free in Atrium area only). Room was clean but decor very dated (1990's thow back).
Booked hotel as 'Spa' facilities available. Decided to visit swimming pool / steam room etc & was shocked at the poor condition. Steam room grout between tiles filthy! Tile surface completely worn to underlying ceramic through years of use. Changing area worn & shabby.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hemant M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your feedback of your recent stay with us
At Doubletree by Hilton we take all feedback very seriously and constructively and constantly use this feedback to improve our standards and services.

I am glad you enjoyed Doubletree cookies and had friendly service from my team.
Although internet is chargeable in bedrooms like most of the hotels of similar standards / brand do, it’s free in the public areas for all our guests. However complimentary for gold and diamond Hilton honours members, should you wish to join please visit http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/join.do

I am pleased to advise we are currently undergoing refurbishment / upgrading the hotel bedrooms and corridor areas and expect these works to be completed shortly.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope you will consider the hotel in the future for your accommodation needs.

Kind regards,
Hemant Markanday

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Today my friend and I went to the hotel in the hope of having some lunch. I had heard about the revamp of their public areas and thought it would be nice to have a look. Well, we arrived and the lobby was almost empty apart from two ladies having drinks. One member of staff walked by us followed by a manager ( Indian man I think) we sat down and had a look through the menu (which the ladies at the table next to us handed to us) we sat for 5 minutes and were completely ignored as the staff disappeared. We finally decided to leave as this kind of service is unacceptable. As we got up and proceeded to walk out the manager reappeared and just looked at us, didn't say a word and just walked away again!! This is supposed to be a 4 star hotel?? Not impressed at all.

• Stayed March 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for your recent visit at Doubletree by Hilton and sharing your feedback with us.

I have shared your comment with my team including managers and would like to thank you for taking the time to complete your review and making me aware of your experience

Best regards
Hemant Markanday

Travelers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Very clean, quiet and well appointed room in the Platinum Club which requires exiting the main building of the hotel and crossing to the Club. Very pleasant and efficient desk staff in both the main building and Platinum Club. It was a pity that my swipe card did not work to allow me to re-enter the main building so I had to walk around the front of the hotel to get in. The exterior main entrance is the first impression anyone has of this hotel which is a shame because it rather lets down the rest of the hotel. It is scruffy, poorly kept and is clearly only viewed as the smokers' meeting place. I guessed this because of bulging fag bin and fag ends littering the floor at the main entrance. Spruce up the main entrance Doubletree and create the proper impression for this pleasant hotel!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear guest
Thank you for your positive comment on staff, I am delighted that my team looked after you well, its always encouraging for being acknowledged for hard work / job done well, and I will certainly share your comment with all my team. we definitely agree with all you said about platinum club as this is beautiful part of Doubletree by Hilton Aberdeen and in very much in demand by our guests.

Currently we are in the middle of ongoing refurbishment and can assure we have a plan to make a separate area / shelter for our smoker guests.

I am pleased you overall enjoyed your stay at Doubletree by Hilton and I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Regards
East Horsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at a few Hilton Hotels and although there aren't many similar rated hotels in Aberdeen and because it is obviously booked up well in advance, NOTE! Nice friendly welcome, complete with chocolate cookie, I ended up with a premium room over looking the front of the hotel with a sea view. Room was very warm and it was needed due to the fact that it had been snowing hard ,the temperature was dropping still.

When down stairs in the bar, I did think that the rooms with a window over the main bar area might suffer if there was any noise, but all in all I thought the two nights I stayed were good.

The hotel is quite close to the centre of Aberdeen, approx 10 mins walk to Union Street, for all the bars and restaurants. Will be returning again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Good location for city centre with ample free parking. My stay did not however start well ( even with the free cookie) because due to a mix up between the internet booking company and the hotel ( neither admitted responsibility ) they did not have my reservation. They did find me another hotel at the last minute for my first night but it was twenty miles away!
Room upgrade to platinum was some compensation but no free wi fi really? in this day and age?
Tried dinner in the hotel and service was excellent but my main course fish pie was awful utterly tasteless with oatmeal scattered on the top and served with a side salad for 16 quid.
Without doubt the worst attempt at a fish pie I have ever encountered.
Overall very nice rooms and good value (if you don't need wifi) but don't eat there. Lots of good places to eat within 5 minutes walk.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank chompercharlie
Shoeburyness
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Aberdeen is busy, the oil industry dominates the city and hotel beds are at a premium. The Doubletree by Hilton is well place overlooking the sea and on the face of it is appealling. Nice reception and bar, good first impressions. You will note that around the hotel are well worn posters advising of a refurbishment of bedrooms. They are not recent posters and rooms are shabby, tired and basic. I stayed this week along with seven colleagues and we all had poor experiences. For £150 per room per night I did not expect broken lights, wardrobe door jammed open and broken, chipboard bedroom furniture broken and extensively chipped, poor work space and cracked wash basin. Housekeeping was poor and breakfast awful. Eggs to be avoided. The attrium bar echos the sound of chat which is heard in all rooms surrrounding the center area. The beer pumps were out of action on day three, maybe a ploy to limit the thirsty oil workers who are previlent. Avoid.

Room Tip: Face the road not the centre where the bar is. And in the section where the air crew are placed.