“Average but pleasant”

Ranked #21 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Average but pleasant”
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Very clean, quiet and well appointed room in the Platinum Club which requires exiting the main building of the hotel and crossing to the Club. Very pleasant and efficient desk staff in both the main building and Platinum Club. It was a pity that my swipe card did not work to allow me to re-enter the main building so I had to walk around the front of the hotel to get in. The exterior main entrance is the first impression anyone has of this hotel which is a shame because it rather lets down the rest of the hotel. It is scruffy, poorly kept and is clearly only viewed as the smokers' meeting place. I guessed this because of bulging fag bin and fag ends littering the floor at the main entrance. Spruce up the main entrance Doubletree and create the proper impression for this pleasant hotel!

• Stayed February 2013
Hemant M, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear guest
Thank you for your positive comment on staff, I am delighted that my team looked after you well, its always encouraging for being acknowledged for hard work / job done well, and I will certainly share your comment with all my team. we definitely agree with all you said about platinum club as this is beautiful part of Doubletree by Hilton Aberdeen and in very much in demand by our guests.

Currently we are in the middle of ongoing refurbishment and can assure we have a plan to make a separate area / shelter for our smoker guests.

I am pleased you overall enjoyed your stay at Doubletree by Hilton and I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Regards
Hemant Markanday

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Polish first
East Horsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at a few Hilton Hotels and although there aren't many similar rated hotels in Aberdeen and because it is obviously booked up well in advance, NOTE! Nice friendly welcome, complete with chocolate cookie, I ended up with a premium room over looking the front of the hotel with a sea view. Room was very warm and it was needed due to the fact that it had been snowing hard ,the temperature was dropping still.

When down stairs in the bar, I did think that the rooms with a window over the main bar area might suffer if there was any noise, but all in all I thought the two nights I stayed were good.

The hotel is quite close to the centre of Aberdeen, approx 10 mins walk to Union Street, for all the bars and restaurants. Will be returning again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Good location for city centre with ample free parking. My stay did not however start well ( even with the free cookie) because due to a mix up between the internet booking company and the hotel ( neither admitted responsibility ) they did not have my reservation. They did find me another hotel at the last minute for my first night but it was twenty miles away!
Room upgrade to platinum was some compensation but no free wi fi really? in this day and age?
Tried dinner in the hotel and service was excellent but my main course fish pie was awful utterly tasteless with oatmeal scattered on the top and served with a side salad for 16 quid.
Without doubt the worst attempt at a fish pie I have ever encountered.
Overall very nice rooms and good value (if you don't need wifi) but don't eat there. Lots of good places to eat within 5 minutes walk.

1 Thank chompercharlie
Shoeburyness
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Aberdeen is busy, the oil industry dominates the city and hotel beds are at a premium. The Doubletree by Hilton is well place overlooking the sea and on the face of it is appealling. Nice reception and bar, good first impressions. You will note that around the hotel are well worn posters advising of a refurbishment of bedrooms. They are not recent posters and rooms are shabby, tired and basic. I stayed this week along with seven colleagues and we all had poor experiences. For £150 per room per night I did not expect broken lights, wardrobe door jammed open and broken, chipboard bedroom furniture broken and extensively chipped, poor work space and cracked wash basin. Housekeeping was poor and breakfast awful. Eggs to be avoided. The attrium bar echos the sound of chat which is heard in all rooms surrrounding the center area. The beer pumps were out of action on day three, maybe a ploy to limit the thirsty oil workers who are previlent. Avoid.

Room Tip: Face the road not the centre where the bar is. And in the section where the air crew are placed.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

laurencekirk
Reviewed March 15, 2013

we were upgraded to platinum club for a small fee, but still felt as though we were in cattle class. room lovely though, breakfast excellent, but chamber maid was the only one who actually behaved as if she was being paid to make us feel welcome. if customer service is not on your list of priorities, then this will be an enjoyable stay; facilities are great.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel, booked by the company at short notice. This was my fourth stay at the same hotel in its different guises over the years.

Reading other reviews of the hotel, it is clear that those who stay in the Platinum rooms have by far the better opinions, and I'd agree with their views. This time I stayed in a Classic room, which is comfortable but by no means modern nor luxurious. I'd echo the views of several fellow travellers; the heating is awful and despite leaving the heating on 24 hours a day, I had to sleep almost fully clothed to prevent freezinf to death. This really has to be resolved - don't stay in the winter!

Further, it's about time that British hotels understand what a 4-star hotel should look like; its not acceptable these days to have to pay a further GBP10 per day for internet, there should be adequate storage for clothes, apart from a wardrobe, there should be a modern bathroom etc etc. Hilton - learn from your hotels overseas and make the changes! Finally, please stop claiming to have satellite TV and then provide 1* channels - you need to differentiate yourself from the other hotels in the city, and provide CNN, Bllomberg, CNBC, and more sport channels. It's now a global industry, with guests from far afield.

Otherwise, my stay was very good, especially the bar and reception staff who were very attentive and helpful. Contrary to many, I quite enjoyed breakfast and the bar dinners, which I had on 3 occasions.

All in all, I would probably stay here again, but not before trying some of the other alternatives - by comparison to the Carmelite and the Hilton Treetops, which I stayed in recently, this was the best, but there is room for improvement.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We stayed at the hotel last weekend because we were attending a family wedding. We booked a our room through Expedia because we found a cheaper rate than the hotel could offer, despite the hotel no doubt charging the newlyweds thousands of pounds for hosting their wedding.
The room was comfortable and clean but small and certainly not the standard of other 4 star hotels we have stayed in. The room had a dangerous trip hazard as you enter the wardrobe and bathroom areas so beware!! I tripped and smacked my head off the inside the cupboard which meant I attended the wedding with a bruised forehead.
The bar prices were high (e.g.£5 for a single vodka and coke) so if you are attending a wedding make sure you take lots of money.
Despite fleecing us all night the hotel couldn't offer us a post function drink in a Residents Bar....because they do not have one. I guess there may be a Residents Bar in Platinum Room Area but I see this as another ploy to squeeze even more money from guests.
The breakfast was also pretty average.

G Forbes