“I like it...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
New York City, New York
“I like it...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

each person likes or dislikes a hotel for different reasons. For me, I want the hotel to be quiet, cool in the summer, pleasant in the winter and it has to be clean and comfortable. If it has a good location it is even better!
This hotel ticks all MY points. Stayed in both the older rooms and the Platinum ones and I must agree with previous review; the older rooms are a bit outdated. BUT the platinum ones are really comfortable; yes the windows open, comfortable bed, decent bathroom.
Staff is friendly and ready to help

I love this hotel as well, because it is near the beaches. I like to run outdoors and it is so convenient to do so. Even if you like just to go out for a walk, it gives you all kind of opportunities. The city with all of its shops is just 15 minutes walk away from the hotel but just 5 minutes away is a huge entertainment complex with loads of restaurants, a small shopping centre and a cineplex.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gavin C, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear terrencets

Many thanks for your review, and I'm very pleased to hear that you like our Hotel. You mentioned many positives and I have to agree that we are in an ideal location. We do also have a friendly team, and they will be delighted to hear your comments. Regarding the Classic bedrooms, the refurbishment of these rooms is almost complete, and I hope you will notice a difference next time you stay.

Best regards

Gavin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Polish first
aberdeen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed here on 28 to 31 December in the Platinum Club (room 601).

The hotel is always very friendly and remember you (from wait staff to front desk). Nothing is too much trouble.

Rooms are excellent and it is nice waking up to sea view.

Only downside is breakfast which never looks very appealing. It is not a usual Hilton breakfast (i,e, cheapest sausages).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
Walking along the beach is a great experience here in Aberdeen and I am pleased you managed to get the chance to do that.
I will pass on your kind words to the team as they work hard for your recognition. The platinum Club serves up a great breakfast, having its own chef working the buffet and cooking eggs to order really helps to ensure the guest receives what they are looking for, I will pass on your thoughts regarding the sausages however these are a brand standard yet if you can kindly let me know what you have had and where we will certainly look at other options.
Thank you for your constructive advice.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

I have been a member of the Breakers gym at this hotel for a year and am sad to say I have seen it steadily deteriorate over that time.
The TVs on the machines hardly ever work and there was period recently in which several machines were out-of-order (fixed now thankfully). The Jacuzzi has been out of action for so long that another one could have been bought and installed in a shorter time frame! The lockers are in short supply as it appears people are leaving their stuff in them upon leaving. The soap supply in in the showers is rarely replaced and the fixed temperature push button taps are awful. The club's front desk staff are always pleasant and helpful but it seems that comments made to them are not passed on or acted on. I wrote to the Manager about 5 weeks ago outlining my concerns but have yet to receive a reply.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Steve S
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Steve S,
Listening to our guests and replying to them is a priority which we adopt at the hotel so I am sorry that you have not had a reply to a letter that you sent but to date I have not received anything outlying your concerns.
The Jacuzzi is currently out of action and I am sorry about that however we are waiting for an essential part to be built then shipped to us to resume full working order again. The Jacuzzi was in fact the top of the range when it was purchased and unfortunately parts are not readily available. At some point machines do break and it is disappointing when we cannot fix them there and then however I can assure you that we are working hard to improve and maintain the equipment we have.
Kind regards

John

Travelers are raving about these Aberdeen hotels

Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed 2 nights at this hotel in December 2012 for a business meeting. The room 216, so called refurbished, is small and quite basic. There was a very noisy party downstairs until very late on the second night, and although the room is on the second floor, we could hear everything. I would at least expect the hotel to warn the guest in such event. The room is equiped with a window high up that is impossible to close properly and which makes noise all night when the wind blows outside. It was so noisy I could only sleep a couple of hours... Only positive point is a friendly staff.

Room Tip: not sure I would recommend to anyone to stay there. personally, I will choose another hotel next tim...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank alexivry
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Guest,
First of all I will pass on your positive feedback to the team they are a great bunch of people who are working hard to improve you the guests experience when staying with us. The festive period does sometimes through up its challenges. Are party nights have been a great success with lots of people really enjoying themselves, I have to apologise for your room allocation we have looked daily at our arrivals to try to ensure non party guests are allocated rooms as far away from any noise levels as possible.
Please do make me aware of your next reservation so that I can ensure your stay with us is a more relaxing experience.
Kind Regards
Sooke, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

I've stayed at the hotel on a number of occasions in 2012 and tend to use it as my hotel of choice when in town on business. The Platinum suites are well appointed and generally very well maintained. I tend to go for 1st or 2nd floor with a sea view if possible. For platinum guests, breakfast is served in the same building and not in the main hotel building. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms of the Platinum wing. Plenty of free parking also. The bar is small, but you always have the choice to pop over to the bigger main Atrium bar if you wish. I believe the Atrium (in the main building) is being upgraded in early 2013 which is not a bad idea.

Room Tip: If booking Platinum ask for a room off the ground floor with a sea view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
I would like to begin by thanking you for such a written feedback, I echo all you have said about the Platinum Club as this is a beautiful part of the DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen. You are also correct regarding the refurbishment of the Atrium, the work begins here on the 02nd of January 2013 which is very exciting for the team at the hotel as well as our guests, this is just another of the ways we are showing you we are listening to what you the guest requires us to do to improve your experience when choosing us over all others.
I look forward to welcoming you back at to the hotel in 2013 and I hope that we get the opportunity of showing you the wonderful improvements
Edinburgh, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Stayed here for a night while working in Aberdeen, I was with quite a large group and it appeared that my name was not registered, well after a few phone calls to our agent the hotel gave me a room in their Platinum Suite and very nice it was.
Very clean and comfortable, free wi-fi, a bit of a novelty these days!

Room Tip: Splash for a sea view and you dont get the busy atrium.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Guest,
I am so pleased the team at the hotel worked with your agent to get you into the hotel, The Platinum Rooms are great so it was pleasing to hear you think as much of them as I do (you know what to book on your next visit). You mentioned the Atrium rooms if you are coming back to see us from February onwards please do have a look at the Atrium as you will not recognise it, from the beginning of January it will be closed to let the exciting refurbishment work begin.
Look forward to showing you the new DoubleTree by Hilton, Aberdeen.