“A comfortable stay”

DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre
Ranked #19 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed in the Platinum suites (a separate building out the back of the main hotel with more modern rooms) in October 2012 for 3 nights.
The room was generous although the shower wasn't very powerful.
The hotel and staff were good and no complaints in general.
The only suggestion is to request a room on the upper floors as mine had floor to ceiling windows onto the car park but had no voile/blinds which meant that people could see straight into the room.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor room in the Platinum club section of the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to feed back your thoughts on the hotel. The Platinum Club is a great facility offering wonderful spacious rooms, separate reception desk making check in and out hassle free.
I am so pleased you enjoyed your time with us and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

I was very very pleased. Entered. Checked in. Got two warm cookies. One for.myself n the other one for.my husband. we booked the standard room, however in the notes/comments box I typed in honeymoon, as I went there for two night right after my wedding.
So when I checked in, the staff congratulated us on our wedding and tadaaaa they gave us the premiere club room. We were so surprised and happy by the excellent service by the staff. The breakfast was awesome and perfect.
Very clean. Big room. Value of money more than perfect. Room service and food perfect too. Compliantary drinks in room and two complimentary drinks at the bar. A fridge in the room. Perfect bathroom and toiletries.

• Stayed: October 2012
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Guest,
I am delighted you chose to come and stay with us after your wedding, the team at the hotel try to stay abreast of why are guests are staying with us so on those special occasions we can help to make it even better.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your anniversary,

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Having overlooked this hotel on many occasions we decided to book 1 night in a 2 floor suite in the Platinum Club (1 of only 2 in the hotel). This cost us £139 up front and included breakfast. Arrived at 2pm at the normal reception but didn't realise the platinum club has its own reception, therefore we were given directions. Upon arriving at the correct reception we were told the suit wasn't ready and would be around 15 minutes, which was disappointing. However just 5 minutes later it was all ready. The receptionist was apologetic and very friendly along with being helpful with the questions we had.

After collecting our delicious cookies we made our way up to the room. Upon entering we were blown away by how good it was. The upper floor of the suite has an overhand / balcony so you can see down to the ground floor of the room. There are also double height windows with a lovely view over Aberdeen beach and the ballroom. This was also great in the morning for watching the sun rise. The other surprise of the room was to find it had 2 TV's, one downstairs and one upstairs. The downstairs featured a cosy living area and it's own toilet / sink, and although there wasn't much in the free mini bar it was nice to have something free where other hotels you would be expected to fork out extra. There was also a small box of complimentary chocolates which was a nice touch. The upper floor had its own bathroom and a really comfy bed.

A few criticisms of the room were as follows: the TV upstairs had wires hanging underneath and looked a bit of a mess. The bathroom had a funny smell when we first arrived, although it was spotlessly clean. There were also patch bits of wallpaper in the room and the top half of the double height window was filthy. Also, when leaving the room, the elevator didn't seem to work when going to the ground floor, yet was fine when going up. If these minor issues were sorted it would make a big difference to the overall feel. It didn't stop it being one of the nicest hotel rooms we have stayed in for this price bracket.

We made use of the pool / jacuzzi / sauna and steam room facilities. The changing areas were a little dirty. Upon stepping out into the pool area, one of the sauna rooms was out of order, with ceiling tiles missing above the entrance and cables coming from the ceiling into the room, where there was an out of date notice saying it would be fixed in 2 weeks. This looked really scabby and to me this is probably where the hotel scores lower than average on all previous reviews I've read. The pool area seemed a little scabby, especially the peeling and stained roof tiles, along with safety notices for the Jacuzzi stuck to the windows with sellotape. The steam room inside looked run down and had a funny smell. It was effective though. The sauna room that worked was totally fine. The Jacuzzi was probably the best I've used thus far. The actual pool was a lovely temperature and a decent size, although it could end up quite busy. I feel the overall pool and changing area could do with a refurbishment and it would make a massive difference. Aside from the issues mentioned, the facilities were still very good. I hope when I return again to see improvements made.

We booked a table in the Atrium for dinner, however we realised it was a bit informal so asked to move to one of the restaurants which wasn't an issue. My partner enjoyed her food. I had Cullen Skink to start which was poor, and especially considering the £7 price tag. I had low expectations for the £29 fillet steak, but this more than certainly made up for the starter - this was one of the finest steaks I've eaten. Service was also fast and efficient. Breakfast in the morning was plentiful with something for everyone. 5/5 for this.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay, the suite certainly made it worthwhile and at £139 (up front) including breakfast this seemed a bargain compared to some other "luxury" hotels I've stayed in. I really wanted to give it 4.5/5 and round it up to 5 but feel it has to lose a star due to the improvements that should be made, namely in the pool area and slight attention to detail in the rooms. Service and food were generally excellent though. I'll definitely stay again in the future and most definitely in the two floor suite.

Room Tip: One of the 2 x two floor suites in the Platinum Club

Dear Guest,
Let me begin by saying thank you for taking the time to write such a well written account of your stay.
I would like to mention some of the points you raised if that is alright, the sauna which was temporally out of order I am pleased to say that this is now completely up and running, we have given it a complete makeover, new seating and fully relined to create a wonderful relaxing area.
Delighted to read that you experienced the beautiful Platinum Club Duplex Suite, this room gives so much having a fully functional lounge area with stairs leading up to your bedroom. The Duplex suites are very popular and we experience great feedback from guests who stay in them. As you will have read from some of the earlier reports the hotel in general is going through a refurbishment programme, during this process we are making additional changes to help with the look of our rooms and to ensure our guests comfort, the cabling you mentioned is being addressed we have also added more desk height sockets as more and more people these days travel with so many electrical devices.
I can assure you that on your return visit I will be trying for that .5 to make a difference, thank you once again for such a helpful review.
Kind regards

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We had a room in the platinum area of hotel on the ground floor. Room was clean and comfortable. However no blinds or screens on the floor length window and didn't appreciate lack of privacy as people were walking about on the grass outside. Would have liked bathrobes but none in room. Asked at reception and was told none left Explained I would have liked one as room not very private and didn't really want to close the curtains in the afternoon. She did phone housekeeping and enquire but said that laundry company had not returned any clean ones. Bathroom quite poorly lit (probably as a bulb fused above sink). Used the pool which was fine but the sauna had a piece of wood missing from one wall and steam room didn't smell that great. Overall this hotel is in a great location, the platinum rooms are so much nicer than the main part of the hotel, breakfast very good but they should really think about putting up screens on windows of ground floor rooms.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
It is always great to hear your thoughts on how we can improve, blinds on the ground floor rooms? I will definitely look into this. We are always looking at ways to make things better; as I have mentioned previously we are working through the hotel on the refurbishment programme the bedrooms now in the main building have certainly had a makeover. Our Classic room type offers the guests so much more space and comfort, please check out the web site.
Thank you for making your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future,

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I've stayed in this hotel many times, but never reviewed it, and have to say nearly every time my room has been quite good. The room i had this time 227 an inside room, it was clean decor was ok bright and plenty of sockets. the room looked down into the bar and lounge area. Some inside rooms have a window high up which can be opened some don't, depending on which room you get you can get a lot of noises from the gulls squawking outside. When i stay at the double tree i always go for the fish which is always spot on , a glass of wine can be a bit pricey nearly a fiver, you can nip round to asda and get a bottle for that price, and shops aren't that far away. The only thing about the doubletree which i don't like if you have a early checkout on a sunday, no cooked breakfast before 0730 only continental, i've no idea how much a room costs as it's paid for by my employer, an no doubt i will stay here again in the near future.

Room Tip: Certain rooms can noisy in the morning due to the seagulls.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear Guest

I am really pleased you enjoy the hotel and especially the fish which is one of the best sellers. Our menu offers you a variety of choice from Aberdeen Angus Steaks to the DoubleTree Burger.
The challenge you have faced with regards to the breakfast time at the weekend, please in future let me know that you are staying in house and I will ensure the kitchen get you your cooked breakfast before you leave.
Thank you for feeding back on your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back and arranging that breakfast for you.

Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Good service and nice, well-sized rooms. Breakfast was disappointing: usual selection but tasteless sausages, undercooked bacon and fried eggs that had been waiting forever were not good. Still do not understand what, if any, benefits I get as a Diamond card holder, especially in relation to the platinum hotel, whatever that is.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Travel_Duck_UK

Dear Guest,
Hilton Honour Diamond Members are very important to us and the Platinum Club is given as a complimentary upgrade to Diamond Members subject to availability. The Platinum Club offers the guest very spacious luxury rooms in a separate wing of the hotel, with its own reception desk that ensures you are not queuing after a long journey or a hectic day at the office.
The Platinum Breakfast has its own chef that is on duty to cook your eggs to order, so I was disappointed to hear that the eggs you chose from the buffet was not to your expectation.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We stayed in a premier club room. The bedroom was large with a comfortable sofa. Nice king size bed with comfortable pillows. As the hotel is only two storeys high the windows opened fully. There is a fitness centre and pool but I didn't use it on this visit. The bathroom was ok but a little dated. Breakfast could be better - the bacon was undercooked for my liking and the beans and egg congealed.

Dear Guest
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and our Premier Club Rooms, these rooms are wonderfully spacious and having the addition of the sofa gives you that extra space. On your next visit with should any items on the breakfast buffet not be cooked to how you like it please, please ask as the team and I would want you to leave us having finished your stay with a great breakfast.
You must try out the leisure club on your next visit as the pool and gym are a wonderful place to relax having the addition of a steam room, sauna and spa there is something for everyone.