“Surprised by the high standard”

DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre
Ranked #20 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Having read the reviews, I was somewhat concerned about what to expect. I had booked in advance for a Friday and Saturday night through the central booking facility in Florida and was offered a very good deal. As there was a local deal for the event which I attended, I should have booked directly with the hotel, but both deals were much the same.
The check-in was smooth and well done. Our classic room faced onto the outside. The décor could have been a more cheerful colour as the windows were of modest size and made the room dull. The bed was enormous and very comfortable. The room and bathroom were immaculate and the tea and coffee facilities were kept well topped up.
We were thoroughly satisfied with the buffet breakfast with its comprehensive selection of breakfast food ranging through from full cooked to continental. As we ate out on both evenings, we did not sample the hotel’s dinners or bar.
The car parking is free, a nice bonus so near the centre of Aberdeen.
Overall a good hotel and we would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Make sure you book a room which faces outside and not into the central atrium.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Dear Guest,
“Surprised by the high standard”
Thank you very much for your feedback, the team work hard to ensure that you the guest enjoy your stay with us, the classic rooms are a great size and are bigger than your average room size, we are in the process of working through the classic rooms, currently updating all the rooms with new furniture and wonderful TVs, giving our guest what they have become to expect from us. I was delighted to hear such a positive review as this really shows the team that all their hard work is paying off. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future to the Doubletree by Hilton, Aberdeen City.
Regards
John Karwl-Jackes

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre

Reviewed June 12, 2012

We just stayed two nights at this hotel and couldn't find much wrong with it all. We were a little hesitant to book at first due to the bad reviews on this sight but we went ahead anyway and were well rewarded. We arrived around 11am on the Saturday morning and were allowed to check-in straight away which was great. The cookie is a nice touch too. The hotel is convenient to the city and you can park for free. There is also a selection of shops/restaurants nearby and of course the beach. We stayed in a classic room which - size-wise- was adequate but I'd love to see the premier and platinum rooms. However the room was clean which is very important. We would have liked a fridge in our room. We used the pool and found all the area around there clean - although the jacuzzi could do with a bit of an update! Our only real criticism would be that the bar seemed to be very expensive - but it is a hotel after all. We would definitely stay here again.

Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

Dear Guest
“A good stay” I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us and I will take your comments on board and work with the team to look at them individually. The hotel is in a great location offering so much to see and do. You mentioned you would like to see the Premier and Platinum club rooms please make me aware of your next visit and I will only be too happy to show you around. Both other room types offer the guest more space offering you a lounge area to relax or perhaps have dinner and watch a movie. The Platinum club is a wonderful product with a separate reception desk and some of the rooms having wonderful views to the beach and the sea. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kind regards

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.
Outstanding in every way.
Stayed here from Thurs-Sun.
We stayed in the Platinum suites section of the hotel which is situated at the rear. Surprised by the last couple of bad reviews. Certainly doesn't reflect our experience in any way. Great Scottish breakfast. Massive bed. Good size room. Good service. Friendly staff. Not much more I can say.
We will have no hesitation in using this hotel again if we visit Aberdeen.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Dear Guest,
I am so pleased you have a wonderful stay in the Platinum Club, I and the team are delighted with your comments concerning the hotel and also past reviews. The platinum club is wonderful for the guest who is looking for that little bit more when travelling. The hotel is working hard presently to ensure our guests receive the best in guest satisfaction and comfort when staying with us,
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Granite City,
Kind Regards

Reviewed June 7, 2012

booked last minute and got a great deal. we got a upgrade room in the platinum section and was delighted. have stayed many times and always a great service. thanks again

1  Thank mr061165
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stopped at this hotel for a night in early May 2012, I had pre booked and was on business in the area, Aberdeen is a regular place I have to visit. I arrived quite late, and checked in.

I needed a shower, walked into the en-suite barefoot and immediately stubbed my foot on a loose tile in the centre of the floor, which started to bleed. Then I realised how dirty the place was and didnt like to wash, choosing to use a small first aid kit which luckily I carry to dress my injury.

I decided to just go to bed, it was now quite late, I looked at the bedding before I got in to find body hairs on the pillow and the bedsheet, looking further they were on both sides of the bed. It was to late to want to move rooms so I slept the night clothed on top of the bed.

This hotel in my experience is dirty, the standard of fittings and finish is poor and tired, and obviously dangerous as I got an injury, the ensuite also smelling of damp and mould.

At the end of the week, they sent me a survey via email, so I filled it in. In reply I got offered a small discount if I went again, I emailed back to say this was not good enough, and have heard nothing, which is no surprise.

I have used all sorts of hotels in the last 25 years of business travel, this is the worst and also the first time I have felt the need to complain. Totally not recommended.

Room Tip: I was apparently by chance in one of the better rooms but would not recommend any.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Tony S
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Words can't describe how bad this place is, I think the reception staff need more training. I also enquirer about the leisure facility's for my daughter and the guy could jot give me any information or prices ???

• Stayed: May 2012
john_karwl_jackes01, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

Dear cb28b,
It is disappointing to hear you were not happy with your stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton, Aberdeen City. Should a guest ever have a challenge, as a General Manager we always prefer to hear about it before you depart this allows us to get the full story, please appreciate it is difficult and frustrating to read a story after the fact.
The team at the hotel work very hard for our guests however I will be working with the front office and leisure club managers to see where we can improve our service delivery. I would like to thank you for bringing any matter to my attention as this is the best way for us to get better.
Kind Regards

Reviewed May 30, 2012

The room was excellent, comfortable bed with quality bed linen. Good choices at breakfast

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple