“modern hotel, central location”

Hilton Garden Inn Aberdeen City Centre
Ranked #4 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Scotland
“modern hotel, central location”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Secure parking used at a cost of £8. Hotel room was modern and very clean. Big selection at buffet breakfast. Very friendly staff. Great location as right in the centre of aberdeen - lots of shops, restuarant etc on the doorstep.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Perrysburg, Ohio
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The HGI in Aberdeen is a very clean and updated hotel. The garage is very convenient if traveling by car. Lots of restaurants and pubs close to the hotel. The staff are great! Very helpful and accommodating!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank smarti718
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We spent one night here and found it to be a pleasant hotel. Our room was very spacious, with a bed that you could adjust to suit you own comfort. Breakfast was good and all staff really friendly and helpful. A couple of wee points, when we arrived there was no space in the hotel parking, but we were directed to a near by car park, about a 5 minute walk away which was fine for us, but something to be aware of. Overall a very nice and reasonable priced hotel.

1 Thank Allyballyp
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Well maybe one minor one which I will come to later.

Firstly, as we stay in Aberdeen, we don't tend to book hotels to stay at. But as we had a theatre night out on our wedding anniversary, we thought we'd treat ourselves. This hotel is only about a 5 minute walk from His Majesty's Theatre.

We decided to take advantage of the parking, even though it cost £8. If we had both taken the bus to the hotel, it would have cost at least that.

Checked in slightly early without issue. Girl on reception was extremely helpful and friendly.

The room was lovely. A super kingside bed, really comfortable (shame it didn't fit in the suitcase), the bathroom was spotless, housing a bath and separate shower cubicle.

We ordered room service for our meal - more down to me having a broken wrist an not able to handle cutlery properly! The call to book this was great, very friendly staff yet again.

Having returned from the theatre, wanting a drink, we found there was no actual bar. This is due to a new Nick Nairn restaurant area being incorporated into the hotel. There was some work on going, but caused no disruption to us. We were guided through to the restaurant area where we were able to have a drink. Aaah, so here's the complaint..... No Morgans Spiced rum. See, it's minor, no biggy, but as it's our first choice of nip, we had to decide what we wanted instead.

All in all, a very pleasant stay in a very friendly hotel. There was no lack of staff and everyone we dealt with was very friendly.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank F00tballFan1903
Kianga
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed one night at this hotel and was very pleased with everything. The staff were delightful, beds extremely comfortable and shower excellent. The breakfast was delicious and the hotel was in a great position. It was very good value for money and I would be very happy to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank MaryKianga
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed here for business in June 2013, and can quite happily say that my stay was excellent.

Arriving in Aberdeen at 8am, the hotel were quite happy for me to leave my luggage at reception whilst I went to work for the day, then check in when the room was ready in the afternoon. The check in staff were absolutely lovely. One thing that was really helpful was that, on checking in, the girl serving me saw that I had a HHonors account, and added this to my booking without me knowing my number and not having received my card yet. I was thankful for this, having not been able to add my number or access my booking online having booked through our work travel agent.

The room was very modern, with the King bed absolutely huge and horrendously comfortable, although I ended up getting overwhelmed trying to adjust it as I'd never had to think about how soft I like the bed - I generally just put up and shut up... The room had a nice sized seating area and full length windows overlooking the flats opposite. Perhaps not the best view, but that's the city for you! There was an iron and ironing board in the wardrobe which seemed to be newish and clean. No scorch marks on the ironing board cover. The bathroom was nice too, the rain shower got up to a good temperature and the water pressure was brilliant. There was a bath too, although I didn't use it.

The hotel has free internet which is a massive plus in theory. I found that the wifi was really good in the morning, but painfully slow in the evening to the extent that it was actually faster to use the mobile internet through my phone. This is understandable and I guess it is the problem with providing free wifi - everyone uses it. A nominal charge (even just £1 a day) may ease this congestion as many casual users who just use it if it is there would be put off by a paywall, even if it is very cheap. Then again this would take away a big marketing bonus point for the hotel, so I totally understand the decision. Just don't start charging the extortionate £10 an hour you see in some hotels!

The breakfast was very good, it is a buffet which has the full range of hot breakfast items and you can also have omelettes cooked to order which is a fantastic touch. The range of cold continental food wasn't fantastic but this didn't bother me. £9.95 for the breakfast is quite steep, particularly if you just end up having bread and cheese, but it is in line with what other hotels charge.

I didn't use the bar or restaurant in the evenings as I like to get out and at least see a bit of town and get some fresh air when working away, but of what I saw the food looked pretty good. The staff made an excellent recommendation for the Indian restaurant round the corner which I would return to if I stay here again.

There is also a gym which is free to use, or I noticed online that you can get a gym bag with equipment to work out in your room, if that's your thing! The gym seemed pretty well equipped for a hotel gym, and if I return I will bring my shorts!

My one beef was with the check out process. Trying to check out at 8am on a Friday was quite a painful experience - there was only one person on reception at the time, and several people trying to check out. Some type of fast check out process would go down well, I feel, or the hotel could consider extra staffing at this particular popular time.

Overall I think this hotel was excellent. The midweek prices were rather expensive, but that is Aberdeen for you. I would probably not stay here again for leisure if I were paying, but if travelling for work then the convenience, service and comfort are perfect. I notice there are some good weekend deals so would consider taking advantage of these for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Alastair H
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Had a 5 day break here. Although this is a modern hotel, it has it's problems. The biggest is the air conditioning. It re-sets itself every day, so if you set it when you leave in the morning it is different when you return.
We were on the 4th floor, and rooms 9, 10, 16, 17 suffer from the rumble of the air-con on the roof. This produces a 'drone' that permeates the rooms & corridor, as well as some annoying 'buzzing' lights outside the rooms. The Wi-fi is very bad on this floor too.....it keeps dropping off.
The staff are very helpful and the whole place is very clean. The breakfasts are standard hotel fare, but are of we'll presented. The prices in the bar and restaurants are not too expensive and I can recommend the 'Cullen Skink' soup.

Room Tip: Away from the lifts and at the back of the hotel as there is the quiet square of a residential block...