“Best Sushi in Aberdeen!”
Review of Yorokobi by CJ

Yorokobi by CJ
Ranked #33 of 770 Restaurants in Aberdeen
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Korean
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Having a reputation for its scrumptious food. All of us at Yorokobi by CJ Restaurant employ a motto saying: "care for guests with warm hospitality", and we commit ourselves to ever enhancing our expertise and service, and providing authentic Japanese & Korean cuisine.Our chefs personally chooses the ingredients, disregarding anything less than the best so that they can produce our delicious dishes and the restaurant is one of just a few in Scotland which serve such premium quality Japanese & Korean food. We also have an excellent selection of fine sakes and wines.
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We've eaten here many times and love the quality and taste of the food. Whether its sushi, rolls, or hot food, it's all excellent. You'd be crazy not to try this place.

Date of visit: January 2013

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I went to the restaurants with 3 friends. The service was very fast. We ordered 7 dished but showed up only 6 which were almost more than enough for 4 of us. Assorted sushi plate was very good. Rolls were very delicious. Other dishes were also very good. Deserts were okay. Cheese cake was not fresh. Chocolate cake was good. We spent £90 plus £10 tip. Definitely we will go back again.

Date of visit: April 2013
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We were here on Wednesday 3 April for dinner. We shared a prawn crunch roll which was excellent. Our mains were Je-yook hokum (chilli pork belly) which we had with egg fried rice delicious as were the Yaki soba fried noodles with chicken. Service was efficient, polite and friendly. An all round great dining experience.

Date of visit: April 2013
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Small and cosy restaurant. The intimate atmosphere took me back to the way oriental restaurants used to be. Dined here recently with friends and food and service were great. It was my first visit here and will definately go back.

Date of visit: March 2013
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Yorokobi by CJ

A classy establishment,

On the strength of positive Trip Advisor reviews and a glance at the menu online, we decided to try Yorokobi by CJ for Sushi (Maki). We did not make reservations, but arrived promptly for the dinner opening (1730) on the hopes that they could squeeze the two of us in. Sure enough, we were offered a table for two, provided we could be finished by 1845. Notwithstanding the quantity of other empty tables, we presumed it was a popular establishment with a number of reservations for 1900, and so we did our part to order and eat with reasonable dispatch. To the restaurant's credit, they did their part to serve our meal in good time, even accommodating our mid-meal order of dumplings.

We shared an enjoyable, well-prepared, and well-presented meal; though I cannot say it was the best sushi I have ever eaten, it was definitely first-class. We shared three selections from the Early Bird Menu: the Dragon Roll, the Smoked Salmon Special, and the Crunch Roll. All three were expertly prepared and presented, though the mustard sauce with the Dragon and Crunch Rolls surprised us.

Perhaps we have conservative palates, but the mustard sauce just hit the wrong tone for us: it seemed cheap and artificial compared to the somewhat delicate and natural flavours of the maki. It may well be that the mustard was specially crafted, but the combination seemed dissonant to us. This was particularly unfortunate with the Crunch Roll, as it had a very pleasant texture but was (not surprisingly) a tad dry and so we looked to the sauce to provide a complimentary note.

I cannot speak too highly, however, about the wasabi cream sauce that accompanied the Special Salmon Roll. It was a pure delight; even my dining companion (who is decidedly not a wasabi fan) enjoyed it greatly.

The four chicken dumplings were a nice impromptu addition to our meal. They were as expected, and did not last long.

In terms of service, I would say... absent minded. Though our water rapidly ran out, there was no offer to refill (though water was brought reasonably promptly when I eventually asked for a refill). Though we finished quite rapidly, and asked for the bill early (so as to give the staff a little more time to prepare the table for the next round of patrons), it took some time for the bill to actually arrive.

More irksome was that fact that the bill, at least on the first go round, did not reflect the early bird price for our dinner When I mentioned the discrepancy, the waitress first claimed that I was thinking of the Lunch price. I then politely drew her attention to the menu, which specifies in large, friendly letters “Lunch and Early Bird”, and then in small print notes that “Early Bird” means “5 PM to 7 PM”. I chose not to remind her that she was the one who (reasonably) insisted at the start that we clear the table by 1845. To her credit, at this she took the bill away, rectified the totals, and we were on our way. (I also think there may have been an error in the PoS Software, as the timestamp on the receipt was off by about 45 minutes.)

All in all, a nice meal, in a nice space, with a couple of minor hiccups. While we would eat in again, particularly as “Early Birds”, I'm more tempted to try take-out next time. Either way, I trust that the quality of the dishes will be high and the prices fairly reasonable.

Date of visit: March 2013