“Excellent pizzas and tapas dishes”
Review of Josephine's

Josephine's
Ranked #338 of 675 Restaurants in Aberdeen
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Delicious tapas in a friendly laid back atmosphere. BYOB restaurant. £3 corkage per head. No spirits allowed.
Helsinki, Finland
“Excellent pizzas and tapas dishes”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Josefine's is a bit of a hidden gem. The food is always delicious and very well priced. The BYOB policy makes Josefine's a good place for parties or a get together with friends. Check out the specials on the blackboard!

• Visited June 2012

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Josephine's - Perfect for a catch up with friends!”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Josephine’s in a restaurant on Holburn Street, Aberdeen, which has been open for just over 10 years. It serves Italian tapas and has a BYOB (bring your own bottle) policy creating a very relaxed atmosphere.

Decor:

It has to be said, Josephine’s is not the most appealing restaurant if based on looks alone. It is amongst a set of terraced shops and businesses and doesn’t stand out at all. The exterior looks run down and consists of a large window with stickers detailing the name and type of restaurant. This window is also usually steamed up during open hours so doesn’t “invite” you like most restaurants would. The inside decor in Josephine’s seems quite dated although I feel it almost suits the relaxed atmosphere of the restaurant.

Food & Drink:

I LOVE the food in Josephine’s. I am always a fan of tapas anyway as I feel it is a great way to eat amongst friends. It is traditionally Italian/Spanish tapas with dishes like scallops, prawn pil pil and potatoes bravas amongst many others. The tapas dishes are around £6 each and I feel that this is completely reasonable for the size of the dish. Everything I have tried in Josephine’s has been perfectly cooked, seasoned and presented; I have never felt let down. As it is BYOB, I have never drank anything from the bar in Josephine’s. The corkage fee to take your own alcohol is only £3 and so it is a much cheaper option than most restaurants where a glass of wine is the same price as a bottle in a supermarket.

Atmosphere:

I feel it’s important to stress that there is a very relaxed atmosphere within Josephine’s. The manager is not dressed as you would typically find in a restaurant, but I have always found him to be friendly and professional. He also seems to know his menu inside out which is always appreciated when trying to decide what to have! As it is BYOB it can sometimes get a bit rowdy however most of the time it is filled with tables of friends chatting and laughing. I always find there is a relaxed buzz in the restaurant accompanied by relaxed classic rock playing in the background. In my experience I have always found that the staff don’t pester you or hurry you out the door and so the evening can really be enjoyed.

Overall:

I love going to Josephine’s for a catch up with friends as I feel it has the perfect atmosphere. If you are looking for tasty food without the fuss then this is definitely the perfect option!

• Visited December 2012
“Awful Place”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I never write reviews, but felt obliged after my experience at this restaurant. I Cannot understand the "great" reviews for this awful place. I was there for a Hen Night, and from the moment we arrived we were treated with contempt. rushed to our seats, forced to order straight away, no manners, very rude and no friendly comments from the Owner/Manager who was very scruffy in apperance also, and the toilets were a disgrace. The food itself was alright but after we had finished our meal, we overheard the Owner/Manager say " take their glasses away, and we will get them out". A nasty man, who spoilt the evening for a few in our party, who ought to be shown how to treat his customers. A horrible little restaurant witha horrible little owner/manager, and I for one will never darken their door again. Please avoid at ALL costs!

• Visited January 2013
6 Thank not g
“Food to die for!”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I don't understand all the bad reviews!!?? We have been there 3 times and have never had a problem. The food is fantastic, the service was great and the atmosphere was sociable. The owner was a great laugh also, if you can banter with your customers your then you're doing something right.

The BYOB is not a scam, £3 for corkage is nothing for taking as much drink as you want and if you take soft drink you pay nothing for it.

The chalk board is works well as he goes through it in detail, even tells how it's cooked.

The place is always busy, so it can't be that bad can it?

“Perfect!”
Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Visited here at the weekend for a friends birthday, excellent central location and great atmosphere! Bring your own drink and pay corkage of £3 which means the meal is quite cheap. Tapas was lovely, as were the pizzas. Will definitely visit here again and recommend to friends!