“A GREAT INDIAN RESTAURANT - NEEDS CUSTOMERS!”
Review of Ammu's Kitchen - CLOSED

Ammu's Kitchen
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were very impressed with the food on our last visit to Ammu’s Kitchen, so when another Groupon offer came in by email, I decided to purchase the 2 course meal for 4 people for £22, plus Groupon had sent me a £10 voucher, so we were going to be getting 2 course for 4 people for £12!! Even though rice is not included, this is an amazing bargain!

I reserved a table for a Monday evening, and when we arrived there were no other diners at all. During our 90 or so minutes NOBODY else came to eat. This is so sad, as although the outside of this eatery looks pretty dire, the decor inside is lovely, the service is very attentive, and most of all – the food is really, really good! As there are several excellent reviews on here, where is everyone?

We began with 1 ‘usual’ starter – Vegetable Samosas, and three quite different starters – mine was Fish Chilli, (salmon seasoned with garlic, chillies, peppers, onions, ketchup and chilli). The other two were Ammu’s Specials - Devil Chicken which was quite similar to the Salmon, and Chicken 65 which was a drier chicken dish, but all were delicious. The Samosas could have done with a sauce of some kind to accompany them.

For main course I chose the Egyptian Kebab, (which is boneless chicken marinated with ginger, garlic, Indian spices with onion, peppers and mushrooms slow cooked in the Tandoor), and the other dishes were a Chicken Tikka, a Lamb Dopiaza and an Ammu's Kadai chicken. The Dopiaza wasn’t as good as expected, and though in a sauce, my husband felt it was a little dry.

There was a bit of confusion as to whether sauce came with mine, as the menu said it did, but the waiter said it didn’t. I ordered sauce, and then really felt it wasn’t appropriate to my dish, as it was quite an insipid and sweet curry sauce, and actually was unnecessary, as the kebab was so moist.

We ordered just two portions of rice, (as I don’t eat rice), and 2 Naan breads, which was easily ample for the four of us.

The helpings are very generous, so nobody need fear that with an offer/voucher you’ll receive smaller portions. The service is excellent, but of course being dead quiet with no one else eating, you’d expect to be well attended to.

With 2 beers, 2 orange juices and a glass of red wine, plus the cost of just the rice and bread, our bill came to about £25. If you look at the menu, you will see what an absolute bargain the Groupon Voucher is – the £22 for two courses for four is amazing, but with the extra £10 off – unbelievable!!

When offers such as this are available and reviews are favourable I cannot understand why this restaurant is so empty, but I do believe the unkempt outside may be quite off-putting to some potential customers. Maybe a tidy up of the long grass littered with rubbish and the rest of the area around the outside would help in some way to attract diners.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have visited this place twice in last couple of years and both time I was disappointed by the level of service and their manager's money greed. prices are over rated, manager even wanted to charge us for tap water. I wonldn't recommend going there again to anyone. Also felt that we were neglected by serving team during our visit, we had to get up and ask for bill and take the tray to them as we waited half an hour for them to collect our bill tray. Terrible... avoid this place.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

True authentic Indian dishes, must visit curry house in Aberdeen. I have been eating from Ammu's kitchen for last 5 years. Never had an issue with the delivery.

1  Thank Shinoj B
Reviewed June 4, 2013

The restuarant has got a very classic south-indian decor and a wonderful ambience with very cheerful waitress and counter representative. The food is very tasty and reminds of typical indian food. The butter garlic naan with chilli on it is delicious and it goes along very well with the curries. Perfect combination of lovely ambience , wonderful staff and finger-licking indian food.

2  Thank Ankita P
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Ammu's Kitchen is our local Indian restaurant and we have been visiting it since it first opened several years ago. We have sat in to eat and had takeaways, (which we have always collected rather than had delivered so I am unable to comment on the delivery service). We have introduced Ammu's to friends and family, who have also been impressed with it.
When we eat in the restaurant the welcome is warm and the service prompt and efficient. They are willing to tweak dishes to suit individuals preferences. When we go to collect take-aways they are always ready on time and well packed.
The menu is fairly extensive, with all the traditional dishes you would expect to find in a British 'Indian' restaurant, plus a some house specialities. The quality of ingredients used is good and the food is properly cooked. On top of all this the prices at Ammu's Kitchen offers great value compared to some Indian restaurants in the centre of Aberdeen.
I have no hesitation in recommending Ammu's Kitchen as a great place to eat.

2  Thank Gavin F