“Delightfully stylish hotel with friendly and cheerful service”
Review of Bauhaus Hotel

Bauhaus Hotel
Ranked #30 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed here for a total of six nights. The first night we were shown to our room on the 5th floor and within two minutes we had a phone call from the manageress apologizing for the lack of storage space. We didn't understand what she meant until we opened what looked like a large wardrobe. One side contained space for only four coat hangers - the other side, when we slid the door open, showed a large blank wall! with no shelves or drawers for any storage whatsoever! Whoever designed this room (505) must have been out of his mind! It was just about adequate for one person for one night and we were a couple staying for several nights. Anyhow she said she had only realized her mistake after we had checked in but as the hotel was full she could only move us the next day when we were installed in a spacious room with bags of space. I liked the efficient free wifi with code given automatically at check in. Also the cooked Scottish breakfasts were excellent - in particular I enjoyed the smoked haddock with poached egg and brown toast. A minus was that only full creamed milk was on offer at breakfast with no skimmed milk. Overall this is a nice little family-owned hotel with its own very special ambiance and it would make a good pilot for a chain of similar hotels throughout Scotland or elsewhere. The staff in particular all seem to be local with a cheerful, open, helpful manner. The central location was also a very big plus. One of the previous reviewers mentioned the seagulls which are a curse over all of Aberdeen (not just the Bauhaus) including the outskirts and something should certainly be done about the noise and mess they make.

Reviewed August 1, 2011

Stayed here with my youngest daughter aged 14 - she loved it, especially the drench shower!
It was clean, comfortable and an easy walk from the railway station. We arrived before 10am and our room was ready. Reception informed me that it had been empty the previous night - worrying in that Aberdeen is such a busy city and had a major festival on that week.
Our twin room was modern and had plenty of room for the two of us. Modern art throughout the hotel - painted squares and circles etc ok if you like that sort of art!
One point that I did not particularly like was the windows of the room were set into a very high ceiling and the room had no view whatsoever. Windows and blinds were operated by remote control which my daughter found entertaining. I prefer a view!
Bathroom was well set out with a huge walk in shower - no bath but the shower was more than adequate. Problem with the sink draining very slowly made for a very quick brush of teeth incase the sink flooded!
TV was good - no problems with the remote!
Beds were really comfy and I thought that this would mean a great nights sleep, unfortunately I had not factored in the seagull effect!!!! These blasted birds and their squawking kept me awake most of the night - yes I know its on the coast but there are preventative measures that can be taken to prevent nesting in buildings and I would suggest that this is undertaken sooner rather than later.
Our breakfast was ok - just ok..... an open kitchen is not always a good thing and I really object to cona coffee decanted into a cafetiere - do these people think we are stupid?
Lukewarm soggy toast and not much of a selection of cold buffet was on display. My scrambled egg with smoked salmon was hot and straight from the pan to table but lacked lemon - although it was edible. Breakfast room was very quiet when we were there but still mistakes were being made and I saw 3 breakfasts going back!!!!!
All in all it was a nice stay, I got the impression that the hotel was very quiet and also that if it had been any busier it may have been a bit shambolic at breakfast.
I would stay again if I got good rates for the suites.
Or I might try the Park Inn by Raddison across the road.

Room Tip: Phoned hotel direct and checked rates on internet
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2011

After deciding to go to Aberdeen to visit my family with my new partner, I frantically tried to decide where to stay & decided to give the Bauhaus a go as it looked interesting. My expectations have been exceeded in every way! The room was fabulous, the bed beyond comfortable and the shower was the piece de resistance as far as I am concerned. The breakfast was exactly what I needed to help with my hangover, the choice available was a pleasant surprise. A special mention should go to the fantabulous receptionist called Lynsey (apologies if I have mis-spelt the name) as she was friendly, professional & extremely helpful (thank you for being so splendid). I will definitely be staying again & would urge anyone looking for a central hotel in Aberdeen to go for it!!! Thank you Bauhaus- Vanessax

Reviewed July 26, 2011

Stayed here for five nights, and have nothing to complain about. Room was nice and clean, and the service in the resturant and bar/reseption was excellent. The hotel is just off Union Street, the main street of Aberdeen, so its really central for shopping and dining. Friendly staff in the bar/reseption that I want to send my thanks to. If you want something different from the big hotelchains, this is for you. If I ever return to Aberdeen, I am gonne stay here again. Free wi-fi and breakfast included is always a big plus in my book.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We love this chic hotel friendly helpful cheerful staff, and our meal was superb one off the nicest meals we had in a long time! Will be back for a meal open kitchen was good also! Thank you ! Great location to shops pubs ! And to stay the night !

Reviewed July 21, 2011

Had a great stay here. Really impressed with the staff and standard of rooms. Only gripe was getting up early for breakfast on my holiday and the single staff member seemed overwhelmed. To their credit she rounded up help and they all worked with a smile on their face!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed June 27, 2011

I travel to Aberdeen a lot on Business and I've started staying at this hotel each time I go now.

The rooms are a great size and all large and bright, Showers are magic and just what you need to wake you up in the morning.

Food here is really nice and I love the fact that you can see the chef cooking everything in the kitchen form your table.

Great location for the city centre.

Good friendly hotel!!!!!