“Central location”

Ranked #8 of 64 Hotels in Aberdeen
Buckie scotland
“Central location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stayed here for one night and only paying £64 for a double room bed and breakfast..we were going to the theatre so was great location..spotless clean, had no complaints at all, breakfast quite good although sausages were a bit hard but we did go down quite late..nice late 12 o clock check out ..recommend this hotel and will be staying again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lorraine S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

I have stayed here three times and on each occasion my complaints are the same:
1 - The level of housekepping in the bedrooms and en-suites is poor.
2 - The choice at breakfast is poor.
3 - I feel ripped off when I leave.
There appears to be no pricing structure, rates are highly variable. The location is probably the best you could ask for, right in the heart of the city with lots of restaurants, a cinema, shops, a spa and the train station and taxis literally just outside the hotel entrance. However, if you are going to charge prices akin to a 5* luxury hotel, I expect to receive a lot more than room only in an unclean environment with overpriced and limited breakfast, I certainly expect Wifi to be included in the price, which it is not. I certainly do not expect to find rubbish by the bed, I do not expect to have to wipe down the desk before I use it and I definitely do not expect to find the bread at breakfast is still frozen. In this hotel, the customer is not King. My key card stopped working, I phoned reception fromthe hallway phone to be told I would have to wat for 15 minutes until the staff meeting ended. Seriously.
This hotel needs to really improve its game before it ends up as a more expensive alternative to the Travelodge hovel on Aberdeen's Bridge Street.
Saving grace? I have submitted my complaints to the hotel on two of my three stays and they deal with the complaints professionally. Unfortunately, it seems to be lip service because I am yet to experience improvement.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room away from the elevators and the ice machines. Bring your marigolds and antibac...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mckaykarenj
Philip R, Manager at Jurys Inn Aberdeen, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback in relation to your recent stay in Jurys Inn Aberdeen. I would like to sincerely apologise for the standard of service and customer care that you received during your stay, particularly at the with regard to housekeeping and breakfast. I have thoroughly investigated the issues you raised and a subsequent meeting has taken place with both departments. Relevant procedures have been implemented to ensure that such incidents do not occur in the future. These procedures will be closely monitored over the coming months.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to speak to you in more detail and attempt to win back your confidence in the hotel. I am available at the below email. I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Kind regards,

Philip Rankin
Deputy General Manager
Jurys Inn Aberdeen

Email: philip_rankin@jurysinns.com
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

1 night. midweek stay in December. Had stayed here before and thought it was excellent value for Aberdeen - on this occasion, I had booked & pre-paid room through Hotels.com (£110 room only).

Location fine, well priced parking nearby, room was clean and comfortable, still charging for wi-fi though (poor show, Jury's!) - However, my stay on this occasion was soured somewhat by my experience at Reception.

At check-in, my key-card had a much lower room price printed on it - when I questioned this, the (male) receptionist scored through this with his pen, and said that room rate "wasn't available" - though he did say that the lowest room rate they had that day was £105 for B&B (still below my room-only rate).

Having unpacked in the room, I asked at reception again to confirm room-rate / breakfast etc - female receptionist told me quite brusquely that because I had booked through an agent there was absolutely nothing she could do. Quite surprised at the inflexibility and abrupt nature of the staff on reception here, especially compared to the staff elsewhere in the hotel.

May be worth checking the hotel's own site for room prices if you're staying here in future. I'll be staying elsewhere though.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Andrew M, General Manager at Jurys Inn Aberdeen, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review.

I would like to sincerely apologise for the standard of service and customer care that you received during your stay, particulary at the front desk. I have thoroughly investigated the issues you raised and a subsequent meeting has taken place with all front office staff. Relevant procedures have been implemented to ensure that such incidents do not occur in the future. These procedures will be closely monitored over the coming months.

Please feel free to contact myself should you be returning to Aberdeen in the near future and require accommodation. I will ensure your booking is fully looked after.

I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Jurys Aberdeen, as I am confident that you will notice a marked improvement.

Kind regards,

Andrew McLoughlin
Jurys Aberdeen
Email: andrew_mcloughlin@jurysinns.com
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel several times and have always been impressed but this time beats them all!

We booked Jurys' great deal of £49 per night bed and breakfast for two nights - total bargain. After booking, I emailed the General Manager to explain that we were visiting to celebrate our first wedding anniversary and as such if he could possibly allocate a room on a higher floor, we would be very grateful. He emailed back right away saying that he would allocate us a "very nice room" and that we'd be looked after. And were we ever!

Check in was quick and the staff on reception were really friendly and chatty, asking about our journey and our Christmas. Then we went to our room - we'd been given a room on the top floor of the hotel with a view of the sea - this was brilliant enough but they'd also left us a bottle of Moet, a box of chocolates and a card to congratulate us on our anniversary! This was such a thoughtful and generous thing to do and we really appreciated it.

We had a great stay overall, room a perfect size, bed fantastically comfortable and a great selection at breakfast.

Already looking to book up again for a few months time!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Charis7997
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Overall an excellent location in Union Square right by a range of shops, restaurants, a cinema and the railway station. Hotel itself is ok, modern and clean but with a very bland corporate like feel and no leisure club. Food in the hotel is very good, however. Definitely a recommendation for the business traveler to Aberdeen.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Travelling_Turtle84
Perth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

I was quite surprised the double room only cost £49 on a night when hotels normally hike their prices up. We couldn't really fault the hotel as its joined to the Union Square shopping centre.

No problems checking in as the room was prepaid. The room was basic but did provide ironing board, iron and have a shower and bathtub combo.

Even though we were on the top floor, the noise of traffic and people from the street level just travelled up. Aberdeen's equivalent of Big Ben also chimed every 15 mins.

I found the entrance strange as the reception is on the first floor and as the shopping centre was closed late night and on the 1st, we entered / exited at a conspicuous door next to New Look from the street.

I'd consider staying here again but much prefer the Hilton Garden Inn which was fully booked.

• Stayed December 2012
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

On arrival I was asked to put an extra £50 on my card 'on hold'. When I asked for an explanation the (Scottish) woman at the reception was rude and abrupt, "I told you! we are just holding it!" was her reply. No explanation.
The air con in my room blew cold air during the day, even though the temperature setting was at 22 degrees.
Breakfast was good, with lots of choices. Room was large, and clean, high standard.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo