“Great self-catering suites - but don't expect a hotel...!”

The Craibstone Suites
Yorkshire
“Great self-catering suites - but don't expect a hotel...!”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Firstly, let me say I was very happy with my stay at Craibstone Suites, with one minor exception (see later!).

This is not a full-service hotel, so if you want a bar, spare toiletries and public spaces, this may not be for you. However, if you are after a well equipped self-catering option whilst in Aberdeen, this is a good choice. First of all, the area is set back from Union Street so escapes the worst of the hustle and bustle, but do be aware there can still be some night-time noise when bars in the nearby streets clear out. It's not too bad, given this is so close to the centre of the city, but don't expect no intrusion of city noice what-so-ever.

The welcome from reception was very warm and friendly, and when it was apparent that I may check-out the following morning before reception re-opened, I was offered my bill there and then.

I was on the top floor and there is no lift. It did not bother me in the slightest, but I note others have commented adversely. Indeed I think the lack of a lift was pointed out to me on reservation, so there are no negative marks from me on this issue. If you are not good on stairs, then perhaps look elsewhere. It was only two flights to the top floor, but I guess for some people that may be too much.

The room itself was well equipped, though it did miss any kind of work-desk. There was a sofa, a low table and a well-equipped mini-kitchen. There is plenty of cutlery and crockery for all but the most ambitious! There was a micro-wave, kettle, toaster, sink and fridge. As someone else has noted, the included breakfast is a little sparse if you are used to a cooked breakfast, but it was plenty for me. You got three slices of bread (2 brown, 1 white!), butter, jam, two cartons of orange juice, two of milk and a selection of cereals. I am not sure what more they could offer really, given it's an appartment of this type!

The bed and bathroom were both fine. Not uber-luxurious, but still pretty good for the money. The only downside I found to my room was the rather low eaves. With a top-floor room, the roof cuts into the bedroom space somewhat - a fact I was reminded of rather violently when packing my case in the morning...! My fault, but maybe a little warning notice or hazard tape might not go amiss - if such things could be done tastefully..!

Having left the appartment a little later than planned, I was able to leave some luggage to collect later on in the day, and once again the service at reception was very friendly.

If you are after a decent, well-equipped self-catered appartment close to the centre of Aberdeen you could do a lot worse than to give the Craibstone Suites a try. But if you are 6 feet tall (ca. 2m), then you may want to see if you can avoid the top-floor attic rooms!

Room Tip: Avoid the top-floor rooms if you are tall (and I am only 5'8" - 1.75m) - or at least watch...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jon_069
Bowat, Guest Relations Manager at The Craibstone Suites, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to review The Craibstone Suites. We are very proud of our building, service and location so were very happy to read about your positive experience with us. If you are to come and stay again be sure to talk with our reception team who would be happy to ensure you are allocated a room with higher ceilings!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Very good location, beautifully converted within constraints of listed building status. Superb bathroom, and "kitchen" The promised continental breakfast was a little sparse. As my stay was in the nature of an emergency, it was disappointing that it was not possible to buy a toothbrush from reception, but the other toiletries provided were first rate. I would be more than happy to return, but will remember my toothbrush!

Room Tip: There is no lift as this is a listed building.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review The Craibstone Suites, we were happy to read that you had a pleasant stay with us. We do usually carry some spare essentials like toothbrushes and toothpaste but we had unfortunately run out shortly before your stay. We are now stocked up and will be happy to assist on your next visit!
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Bit disappointed on arrival when told my room was on the 2nd floor. ( I had booked a club suite for health reasons and there being not too many stairs). My room had some sort of heating problem? The nice man showed me the rooms I could have but with them all being up a couple of flights of stairs my heart sank.. On the upside I could get a refund so I could book elsewhere. I went to tell my partner and to arrange an other hotel, when I returned to the reception to get my card refunded, the strangest thing, he had just that minute opened an email cancelling the other club suite , bit of a coincidence!!! He showed me the room but I'd already arranged somewhere else.

The rooms although quite small seemed to be lovely and Ben was very nice.

On leaving, I couldn't help notice someone coming out of the 2nd club suite........... Maybe I was shown the room that was deemed inhabitable?????!!'

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Blairgowrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I regularly used this facility on business & the location in Central Aberdeen is ideal. Room sizes vary greatly but decor is good.

Car parking on the street is expensive up to 8pm & starts again at 7.30am

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bruce C
Bowat, Guest Relations Manager at The Craibstone Suites, responded to this review, November 30, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to review The Craibstone Suites. I was happy to read that you have had many great experiences with us. Be sure to speak with our receptionists when you are next staying, they are able to advise on the cheapest parking!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

These apartments are in a really promising location - in an old granite house overlooking a square just off the city's main road. But inside they are a great disappointment - cheaply fitted out and meanly furnished. They are intended for medium to long stays but I couldn't possibly face staying there for any great length of time. I would go crazy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
Reviewed October 25, 2013

In Aberdeen for a week and worth the stay here. Had a studio apartment but the cook top was faulty and got upgraded to a larger suite, now that was good. Room to swing a cat! Location is city centre, walk to everything, but try not to have a car - parking expensive for short term. 2 quid for 2 hour maximum. Would definitely come back !!!!

Room Tip: Go for the larger suite if you can - worth it !!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancashire
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We booked this room via Venere for 3 people (2 adults one child aged 17) for 2 nights at a cost of £195.00 per night, which is a bit on the pricey side for the size of the accommodation. On arrival we were shown to our room but found that there was only one double bed. The receptionist said there was no other bed available and that the place was fully booked. My son had therefore to sleep on the floor for both nights!
We asked at reception for a part refund due to the circumstances, but they refused. They said that Venere had not told them that three people had booked, which I find unbelievable. We asked to see the manager but he never appeared or even spoke to us. In the end we had to recover the money from Barclaycard, via Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, which is a shame as the Craibstone and Venere were at fault. They denied any wrongdoing, but were happy to take the money.
We were astounded at the lack of customer service in such a situation - even a token refund would of sufficed at the time, but to deny any wrongdoing was not acceptable.
Notwithstanding this, the Suites are ideally situated close to the center of Aberdeen and are clean and tidy.
Unfortunately we wouldn't return to the Craibstone due to their lack of customer service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bowat, General Manager at The Craibstone Suites, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of The Craibstone Suites. As discussed with you at the time, your reservation was for two people only - the booking confirmation we received from Venere was clear on the matter and the document was presented to you.

We are sorry that we could not accommodate your adult son. We did suggest you take the matter up with Venere directly. No refund was processed by the Craibstone Suites because we had supplied the facilities required by the booking we received.

We did not provide any refund via Barclaycard so I can only presume that Venere refunded you in some capacity.