“Disappointing Stay”

The Craibstone Suites
“Disappointing Stay”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

After reading the reviews on here, my partner and I decided to book the Craibstone Suites for 2 nights. We booked the Superior Executive Suite - apparently the best available suites they have.

We were very disappointed with the quality of the rooms. For the best that they have available it’s quite shocking. We stayed 5 minutes in the Superior Executive Suite and asked for another room. The receptionist was very helpful and allowed us to view another room and decide if we wanted to move - which we did.

The problems with the Superior Executive Room - The actual room was bigger but it was not well laid out. There was only one tiny sofa facing a wall directly infront of you. When watching TV you would have to strain you're neck to look up it was that close. The bedroom was tiny and one bedside light was broken. The kitchen was bigger with a table and chairs, but again one spotlight bulb was broken. To be honest, even if the bulbs were working it still wouldn't be enough lighting. My partner had a sore head from the dullness in the rooms. There was no view as the windows were looking directly at the side of a building. We generally felt crammed into the suite. The only good aspect of this suite was the bathroom which I couldn’t fault. It had a large shower and bath which looked lovely.

The Smaller room (don't know which suite it was) - We moved to a smaller room across the hall but it was much better. There was a proper seating area with 2 sofas’ (one sofa was broken and wouldn't fold away properly at the bottom), and large TV which was more practical for us. It was a smaller kitchen but that’s only expected. It made such a difference having 3 big windows unlike the Superior suite, we didn’t feel crammed in and the lighting was slightly better.

The heating in the room was slightly pathetic. It was either freezing or roasting hot. Through the day we had to leave the windows open to let the room cool. When taking a shower it would be nice to have an extractor fan, but no. This meant that the room was stuffy and ridiculously hot even when the windows were open.

The bathroom was tiny; it was joined onto the bedroom and had a sliding glass door. The shower door was pathetic and kept collapsing when opening and closing. My partner had to come and open the door for me to stop it collapsing on top of me. This was very dangerous and quite scary. I don’t understand why they can’t get it fixed or invest in a decent shower door.

There are no balconies as described on the website. I had specifically asked for a room with a balcony but I was told that they didn’t receive my request as I booked online. Apparently, there are only 2 rooms with a balcony - one of which is tiny, judging by other travellers reviews.

I also noticed that there is a sofa in the entrance hall. At night they take away the pillows on the sofa? Really off-putting that you are staying somewhere where people will assume the guests might steal the pillows.

There are some nice touches such as milk, orange juice, cereals and croissants that are replenished daily. However, these nice touches cannot hide the faults in both rooms we were in. For the price that light bulbs and a lick of paint would cost, I really think they need to make the effort.

There is a lack of parking directly outside the hotel. If you are lucky enough to get a space, it will set you back roughly £3 per hour up until 8pm. There are other car parking facilities available nearby but this is a nuisance when walking with luggage.
Overall I will not be staying at the Craibstone Suites again, it’s a great location but not for us.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled into thinking the Superior Executive is the best. Ask for a room on the second f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AR58

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Scotland
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I loved the suites. They are in a superb location just behind Union Street, but are quiet as they are in a little Georgian townhouse square. Apartment was great. Large TV, great cooking area (breakfast croissants, orange juice etc. replenished daily) large balcony area, separate bedroom with comfy bed and a huge bathroom. It was spotless too. It was great to come back after a day out to newly made up beds etc. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Stayed in the Craibstone Suites Room 105 last month and had the best time ever in the most comfortable surroundings!

I had stayed a stone throw away the week before in the Park Inn by Radisson but The Craibstone Suites was a complete upgrade for less outlay!

I asked last minute for a room with a balcony, and of course the amazing staff managed to sort this request even thought theres only one in the type of room I was staying in and they were full!

Very welcoming staff and amazing service, the room offers a modern surrounding and is very large compared to a hotel room of similar/higher price! With a full size bathroom with bath and shower and a large living room with open planned kitchen and balcony with decking and seating, which runs the full size of the apartment and large HD tv to connect your laptop to!
The bedroom was hot too and the cleaning staff were very efficient at replenishing supplies and changing the bed etc.

I will definately be staying at The Criabstone Suites again, there is no negative points except the fact I never chose to stay longer!!! Service and accomodation amazing!!!!

Ask if room 105 (its the higher ranking room but not necessarily more expensive if you shop around) is available when booking I think it is the best in the hotel! Room 104 is smaller but has a bbq on the balcony, which is tempting lol

(Nicky!)

Room Tip: Room 105 is the Key to an amazing stay!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2012

The Craibstone suites in Aberdeen are the nicest apartments we have ever stayed in and we have stayed in quite a few in the Aberdeenshire area, the welcome you receive is very warm and friendly, fronted by a very well mannered Ben who could not do enough for us.
The Craibstone is in easy walking distance of a whole range of clubs, pubs and eateries to suit all tastes and budgets.
We cannot rate the Craibstone Suites highly enough, a thoroughly enjoyable weekend or us.
Mr & Mrs Brown
Lanarkshire

Room Tip: The rooms at the top floor give the best views over the city
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
scotland
Reviewed June 29, 2012

My wife and i stayed here recently. We stayed in room 103 which is one of the smaller rooms i believe. Very modern with large comfy bed and flat screen tv on the wall. Small kitchen area but with everything you need for a short stay. Lovely large clean bathroom with plenty of hot water. Towels provided aswell. Milk, cereal,orange juice,croissants,butter and jam are supplied each morning. If you dont want to cook a full English, Witherspoons is a 2 minute walk where breakfast is served fom 9am i believe. Free wifi is available. Couldnt connect to start with but receptionist soon gave me the password. There is a laundry room available too.
My only complaint would be that room doors and especially with our room, next door to the staff kitchen, could be heard from early morning closing with a bit of a bang. No chance of a lie in after a night on the tiles in nearby Union Street where you will find many bars and clubs.
Would be one of my first ports of call if looking to book accomodaion in Aberdeen again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank billybluenose
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Located very central in Aberdeen, we easily found the Craibstone Suites - no parking available so you better have enough change to feed the meter. Staff was busy with - probably some private surfing - and therefore the attention given to us as customers was so so - very much like the room, where the paint is cracking on the walls and cleanliness would include removing spider webs. The breakfast - consisted of two croissants and coffee - didn't quite meet my demand. To top it all, ask for a room away from the stairs as the banging door and the other guests on the stairs will keep you up all night. Besides these items - it would be a great place to stay, nice bathroom, comfortable bed and a fairly nice suite.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Path F
Aberdeen
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Stayed here with my partner when we were both off work. Very clean rooms and the room we had was huge with back patio and bbq nice touch.Cooking facilities and plenty kitchen wear also.Stayed here three times now and I would go back but would be nice to have a better choice of breakfast.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple