“Afternoon tea for vegetarian and vegan FAIL”

Carmelite Bar & Grill
Ranked #252 of 757 Restaurants in Aberdeen
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Well served by both bus and rail links.
Description: Carmelite Bar & Grill in Aberdeen's Merchant Quarter is a fabulous venue adjacent to the transport hub, and surrounded by FIVE of the City Centre under-cover retail centres. Known for our Intoxicating Afternoon Teas, with cocktails served from Vintage Coffee Pots into china cups, Saturdays also offer Mad Hatter Tea parties the private setting of the Library, and Rock & Roll parties in a 4 Poster Bed located in our lounge and our Waltzer with your own spinning booth. An extensive range of menus, from Breakfast & Brunch, "Wake Up till Noon" menu, a full A'la Cart style "All Day Menu' from noon till 10pm, complemented with a superb Cocktail, Champagne, Wines & Bar menu complete with "Lounge Food Nibbles" to choose from as well as afternoon teas. The antique revolving door leads into a hip lounge and informal bar & grill with floor-to-ceiling windows and sleek open plan design – a perfect backdrop for the warm service and uncomplicated cuisine.
Reviewed September 3, 2017 via mobile

After being served 15 mins after the rest of the party, I was so disappointed. They should just say they can not cater for vegetarians and vegans. My sandwich had tomato and cumber in bread...that was it. Then packaged bought cakes and a small bowel of pineapple chunks. The crazy thing is my vegetarian friend could have had everything from the normal afternoon tea, apart from some of the savoury items but instead she also just got the packaged cakes and the excuse for a sandwich! Certainly left very hungry. I did enjoy my coffee though...when it eventually arrived.

4  Thank mhjm43
GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2017

Apologies for this poor service. I have investigated and we so have a pre-agreed vegetarian and vegan offer for our afternoon teas. It would appear you had a trainee server trying to assist, whereby poorly communicated with our chefs. Apologies, hopefully you will allow us another opportunity in revisiting Carmelite in the near future.

Reviewed September 2, 2017 via mobile

We had to return 2 cold teapots , it was 3 rd time lucky before we got tea that had been boiled , we were told problems with the boiler but we suggested they use the kettle this time, disappointed as not much apology and we had nearly finished our sandwiches and cakes by the time hot tea arrived . Cakes and scones were lovely but disappointed with cucumber sandwiches we felt cucumber and butter was a poor effort at a sandwich, the ham and onion chutney sandwiches were lovely as were the chicken wraps . Don't plan returning for afternoon tea but it was lovely atmosphere with the piano playing in the background .

1  Thank Julieanne M

Disappointed to read of your decision not to return.....

Cucumber sandwiches are a classic for traditional afternoon tea, however we do rotate the various sandwich fillings by the season, so a new selection of savoury sandwiches will be presented.

Apologies for the boiler, apologies, but the pot may still be hot to our touch, it may not be boiling, and we won't know till we are advised. Sorry it took 2 attempts, and yes, we do have back up kettles.

Reviewed August 25, 2017 via mobile

I left here just about in tears. After having an operation I decided to book a brunch "stacker" for some family members and my 1 year old to thank them for all their help. Wish I'd stayed at home and made them toast. Arrived at 11am for our table and seen it was at the bar. I assumed it was because it was too early to be put in the nice restaurant but soon after seen people getting sat in there. The highchair for my daughter smelled of sick. We were then given a pot of tea and coffee which were both cold. Replaced them but informed us that the kitchen didn't know we were coming so would have to wait for them to bake bread from scratch.... this was hard to believe as id called the day before to book and this morning to double check . After nearly an hour's wait I asked my family to drink up and I'll take them somewhere nicer as my daughter was getting really restless by this point. The food arrived then so we decided to stay. The cooked breakfast that my mum had was fine but the stacker wasn't great. I don't believe the bread we were waiting on to be cooked was made this morning as it was dry and stale . The granola was also stale and soft and the blt wrap was lacking in bacon. 1 rasher.... I feel so sorry for the waiter we had as he was lovely but this is really really poor organisation and I will never be back. Nearly and hour travel each way and a whole day ruined.

I am so disappointed to read of these shortcomings and apologise, I am sorry we let you down, especially having brought your family for a thank you, after your operation.

I would like to maker it up to you, please email me direct - gary.atkinson@carmelitehotels.com

Reviewed August 22, 2017

My partners purchased this deal through groupon, I have been before and I was quite impressed as the chateaubriand was lovely, however on this occasion what we got was definately not a chateaubriand and do not appreciate being given a lesser substitute.
The FAKE chateaubriand was rubbery and chewy and did not melt in the mouth as it should have. When we questioned the waiter he went back to the kitchen and came back out and told us that it was a chateaubriand style.
We told the waiter that we had paid for a chateaubriand and not chateabriand STYLE and we wanted what was advertised and not what was currently on our plate.
The waiter then apologised and went back to the kitchen and came back with wait for it exactly the same thing!!.
This is a total insult, I do not know how many other people have been deluded by this restaurant but it is a shame as we had previously enjoyed a really nice chateaubriand steak in this restaurant.
Perhaps they ran out, but do not insult peoples intelligence and offer a lesser version and think that they will not notice. False advertising at its finest.

There is nothing 'fake' about our Rump Chateaubriand, which is clearly outlined on our menu.

We used to offer Fillet Chateaubriand, but received comments it was too expensive. We therefore sourced great Romp joints from a local butcher, prepare and marinate them, before cooking in the exact way - sealed in hot pan, then roasted in am oven till medium rare. We have received many positive comments as the rump is a much meatier taste, at about £30 saving of the fillet.

We do hope this will not deter others visiting for it, as it has proved very popular for it's excellent price and flavour

Reviewed August 17, 2017 via mobile

I have had many gluten free Afternoon Teas and to be honest none really live up to expectation....until visiting Carmelite! Very impressed with presentation...arrived on slate tray with sandwiches and cakes arranged in a tin lunch type box...how nice! Sandwiches were freshly made with selection of thickly cut ham, cheese with spring onion, and egg. Also in the tin were two cakes...a lovely lemon polenta sponge and a yummy rich choc brownie. At the front of the tin on the slate tray were two lovely fresh cream meringues topped with fruit and two macaroons. Thoroughly enjoyed! Well done Carmelite for making a fab GF Afternoon Tea...10/10!

Thanks for your positive review. We present this fashion so as you know it's been prepared completely separate and is clear these items are gluten free.