“FAKE Chateaubriand”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Well served by both bus and rail links.
Description: Carmelite Bar & Grill in Aberdeen's Merchant Quarter is a fabulous venue adjacent to the transport hub, and surrounded by FIVE of the City Centre under-cover retail centres. Known for our Intoxicating Afternoon Teas, with cocktails served from Vintage Coffee Pots into china cups, Saturdays also offer Mad Hatter Tea parties the private setting of the Library, and Rock & Roll parties in a 4 Poster Bed located in our lounge and our Waltzer with your own spinning booth. An extensive range of menus, from Breakfast & Brunch, "Wake Up till Noon" menu, a full A'la Cart style "All Day Menu' from noon till 10pm, complemented with a superb Cocktail, Champagne, Wines & Bar menu complete with "Lounge Food Nibbles" to choose from as well as afternoon teas. The antique revolving door leads into a hip lounge and informal bar & grill with floor-to-ceiling windows and sleek open plan design – a perfect backdrop for the warm service and uncomplicated cuisine.
Reviewed August 22, 2017

My partners purchased this deal through groupon, I have been before and I was quite impressed as the chateaubriand was lovely, however on this occasion what we got was definately not a chateaubriand and do not appreciate being given a lesser substitute.
The FAKE chateaubriand was rubbery and chewy and did not melt in the mouth as it should have. When we questioned the waiter he went back to the kitchen and came back out and told us that it was a chateaubriand style.
We told the waiter that we had paid for a chateaubriand and not chateabriand STYLE and we wanted what was advertised and not what was currently on our plate.
The waiter then apologised and went back to the kitchen and came back with wait for it exactly the same thing!!.
This is a total insult, I do not know how many other people have been deluded by this restaurant but it is a shame as we had previously enjoyed a really nice chateaubriand steak in this restaurant.
Perhaps they ran out, but do not insult peoples intelligence and offer a lesser version and think that they will not notice. False advertising at its finest.

GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2017

There is nothing 'fake' about our Rump Chateaubriand, which is clearly outlined on our menu.

We used to offer Fillet Chateaubriand, but received comments it was too expensive. We therefore sourced great Romp joints from a local butcher, prepare and marinate them, before cooking in the exact way - sealed in hot pan, then roasted in am oven till medium rare. We have received many positive comments as the rump is a much meatier taste, at about £30 saving of the fillet.

We do hope this will not deter others visiting for it, as it has proved very popular for it's excellent price and flavour

Reviewed August 17, 2017 via mobile

I have had many gluten free Afternoon Teas and to be honest none really live up to expectation....until visiting Carmelite! Very impressed with presentation...arrived on slate tray with sandwiches and cakes arranged in a tin lunch type box...how nice! Sandwiches were freshly made with selection of thickly cut ham, cheese with spring onion, and egg. Also in the tin were two cakes...a lovely lemon polenta sponge and a yummy rich choc brownie. At the front of the tin on the slate tray were two lovely fresh cream meringues topped with fruit and two macaroons. Thoroughly enjoyed! Well done Carmelite for making a fab GF Afternoon Tea...10/10!

Thanks for your positive review. We present this fashion so as you know it's been prepared completely separate and is clear these items are gluten free.

Reviewed August 14, 2017 via mobile

Partner and I hadn't been here in a long time so when I spotted the Groupon voucher promoting 2 x 2 Course meals for £18 ....well, why not revisit?
For starters I ordered the grilled peaches with Parma ham, mozzarella & sun dried tomatoes.I have to admit I'd expected the peaches to be hot and juicy, but sadly not - they were I'd say , just out the fridge ,and cold and hard and appeared to have been just marked by the grill.However, there was a generous amount of Parma ham to make up for the lack of succulent peach , and the rest of the salad was nice.Partner had the pate ,and it was very rich and tasty.
For mains I ordered the local Scampi with chips and was not disappointed - it was delish , though could've done with more of the piquant chunky tartare sauce.
Partner opted for the burger, and was well impressed.
For what we paid it was excellent value for money, though I'm not so sure if I'd have been quite so enamoured of paying full menu price.
Service was very attentive and amenable, and there was a friendly buzz about the place.

Please you enjoyed your ain courses, and we have listened to your comment about the peach and although not served hot, will not be served straight from the fridge.

Our revised Autumn all day menu is due out in two weeks, and do hope you will visit.

Reviewed July 22, 2017

The best fish and chips in Aberdeen without a doubt.The staff very attentive although I hope the pianist and singer were doing it for free as they were dreadful and very loud, in fact very rubbish unlike the Fish and Chips.

GAaberdeen, Owner at Carmelite Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2017

Thanks, pleased you enjoyed it - must be the beer batter....

Reviewed July 21, 2017 via mobile

What a great place for a family birthday afternoon tea.
On arrival we were asked if their was any food preferences. We had one vegetarian and one vegan in the party and they made up stands specifically for them.
I'd booked the normal afternoon tea as at least half the party couldn't drink but it was no problem to add cocktails etc to the order.
The waiter we had was a lovely lad and nothing was too much trouble.
The food was varied and delicious. I do a lot of baking and I'm quite often disappointed in scones when I go out but these were a scrummy.
The classic afternoon tea =
4 savoury sandwiches/wraps
1 large scone with Jam & Cream
4 cakes/ fine pieces
Ample amounts of tea and coffee.

We also had fun in the ladies toilets with the trick sink! I'm telling you no more - you'll just have to visit to see for yourself!!

Thanks for your positive comments and delighted you worked the 'tap' out......

Our Classic Afternoon Teas are very popular, and we do change the selection seasonally, having just agreed what our Christmas version will include - yes December Aberdeen Teas.....

You should also try the Scrumptious Afternoon Teas, and we also have a Breakfast Brunch Stacker too which is great for a catching up BEFORE hitting the shops.