“Seems to have lost something”

Chinatown Restaurant
Ranked #159 of 726 Restaurants in Aberdeen
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I've been to this restaurant many times over the years and it used to be a firm favourite, however, there seems to be something missing. As with most chineses restaurants in Aberdeen, there seems to have been a decline in both the standard of food and the premises. Our recent visit was on a Friday evening without a reservation. The premises were initially busy enough for us (5 persons) to be shown upstairs, which lacks the atmosphere of downstairs. We ordered a mixture of the special Chinese banquet and one of the lower priced set meals. Unfortunately, the ribs and chicken satay for the starters were both lukewarm and should have been much hotter. The Aromatic Duck course was good and the selection of main courses was nothing inspirational and were a bit on the bland side. By the time we left, which was not late, the premises were entirely empty, which was not a good sign on a Friday evening. One downside for the gents toilets is there is no hot water (don't think this has ever been any different and is not particularly hygenic!).

Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

A warm welcome greeted me at the restaurant, it wasn't busy though. The starter was tasty but not 'sticky' as the menu described. Portion sizes weren't great which was a let down. Overall it wasn't a bad meal. I may go again.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We came in for Dim Dum which is extensively advertised outside the restaurant. Unfortunately the restaurant has stopped doing this and now only offers it as a starter. We had this for two which was very good, but quite heavy for a starter. We also had a crispy noodles with beef, chicken and king prawns, and a Tsing Tao chicken with egg fried rice. All were excellent, with the beef being especially tender. Service was very pleasant and efficient and the food came at exactly the right speed. Value was good.

Despite our initial dissapointment about no dim sum, we came away very happy with the restaurant, and would recommend.

1  Thank DavidA689
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Don't know why this place isn't full every night. I've eaten here virtually every time I visit Aberdeen (and that's a lots of meals) and I've never had a bad one. They staff are quietly attentive and the prices are good - just over £30 for my 2 course meal (which included a bottle of wine).

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Popped in here having last night needed an interesting meal in a quiet restaurant on my own.It was very quiet but then it was a Tuesday, and that is exactly what I wanted. Extensive menu with some very enticing dishes to choose from. I chose the King Prawn Delight and Singapore noodles. Service was efficient and very polite. The king prawn dish certainly was a delight! About 9 really large prawns butterflied and cooked in a lovely light batter served in a gorgeous chilli coconut cream sauce. Just enough kick to it. I forgot that the Singapore noodles would be like a dsih on it's own with prawns, duck and pork mixed through so that was rather filling and I didn't manage to finish it all.
The prawns were £9.80 which I thought was good value for the size and number of the prawns and how good the dish tasted. The Singapore Noodles £4.00 and I had a glass of house rose for another £4.
All in all a very enjoyable experience in a nicely decorated restaurant with good service, pleasant up to date background music, what more could you ask for?
When I go back next time I shall ask for a finger bowl as the only way to eat those gorgeous prawns was to pick them up by the tail which was a little messy but Oh so worth it!