“Full scottish breakfast”

Ranked #36 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Full scottish breakfast”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I stayed at this hotel on the evening of the 11th February expecting as stated a full Scottish breakfast, the poorest breakfast I have had in a Scottish hotel.
I was served by a rude young waitress who when asked if there was a clean table`` stated just wait till get round to it``.
Whereby she wiped the table onto the chair I was expected to sit on and the remainder of the crumbs ECT were wiped onto the carpet.
A full Scottish breakfast consists of : Egg ,Sausage,bacon,black pudding,haggis,potatoe scone.tomato,mushrooms with fried bread.toast,tea or coffee.
Instead I was served an overcooked fried egg that was cold, bacon, sausage and diced mushrooms, whatever happened to the full Scottish?
The hotel in my opinion was overpriced and average.
Would not recommend this hotel unless your company is willing to pay over the top.

Room Tip: At the back off the hotel away from the road and the bar.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Holly1944
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Firstly let me apologise sincerely if you found my breakfast waitress rude or unhelpful - this is unacceptable.

All of my staff are aware of the importance of making all customer feel welcome & appreciated.

I'm sure, after what - I see from your reviews - was an awful Indian meal in the town the night before -- this was the last thing you were in the mood for. Sorry.

As far as the breakfast, however, I will point out that our (inclusive & cooked to order) breakfast consists of eggs, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomato, beans, black pudding & fried bread - the latter three being optional as per the menu. A fine spread, I'd suggest, by anyone's standard... and, in fact, had you enquired about haggis, we'd have happily thrown that on too!

That said, if you weren't happy with the temperature or how the items were cooked - might I respectfully suggest (and this is a very general comment to all wannabee reviewers) pulling up your big-boy-pants and asking for the situation to be rectified THERE & THEN!

The thing about good hospitality is not getting everything right - but dealing with them well when we get things wrong. There genuinely seems to be a type of person who would rather suffer in silence so that they have an interesting nugget to blog or review.

So to all you reading this - if you have a problem - tell us face to face, if we don't sort it to your satisfaction - THEN get on your keyboard.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Fantastic service and excellent food. Will definitely be back again. Had a birthday dinner for 15 adults. Was offered a fixed price set menu with plenty of different choices and with reasonable price. I had battered calamari with lime dip for my starter and mussels mariniere for my main course (best mussels I ever had!) skipped the dessert as had no more room unfortunately. All my guests were impressed with standard of the service and delicious food! Went back last night with my partner and once again experienced great service and delightful food. We had really nice corner table which made our dinner very romantic. I ordered mussels for my starter (it is a must to try!) and scallops set on black pudding for my main. Scallops were cooked to perfection! My partner had oysters to start with and veal in malacca sauce for the main (I had a bit of that, the sauce was absolutely delicious). It is very nice and worth a try restaurant which will definitely be one of your favourites.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for you 'Superb' review.

Very happy you & your party enjoyed your meal with us, as we enjoyed hosting you!

Glad to see your becoming regulars & are happy to see you sampling the wide selection we have to offer.

See you soon !
City, StateAberdeen, Scotland
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We went for a birthday lunch at the bar restaurant. Service was very good, although the bar tables have seen better days! We all chose the same items...Cullen skink (fish soup) and deep fried battered haddock and chips. The Cullen skink was definitely the best I have ever tasted.
The haddock and chips were excellent....but no-one does it as well as Ferryhill House hotel....however, this came a very close second!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thanks for your review -- glad the staff looked after you well.

Point taken on the tables (I've seen better days myself !) They've been highlighted in our on-going maintenance.

Glad to know you enjoyed the Cullen Skink, we agree George makes the best that's out there.

As for the fish -- I've got the Ferryhill in my sights!!

Aberdeen
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I've not actually stayed in the hotel as I am local to the area. However I've been here for food on quite a few occasions this year and I couldn't recommend it enough. The staff are always very helpful and friendly and the occasions I've had my baby with me they've always been very accommodating. Good food, friendly staff and a nice cosy atmosphere!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank EAberdeen
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
That you for your fantastic review.

Looking forward to having you done with us again soon.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The room was large and bright with hairdryer, tea & coffee facilities. Toiletries werent that good, could do with some hair conditioner. Shower was old fashioned type in the shower, could do with a good clean, the pipe was filthy, no shower mat so a bit slippy when getting out, other than that I dont have any complaints and this could be easily fixed. The staff at the hotel are professional, efficient and pleasant and what makes this property worth staying at. There is a nice relaxing bar and breakfast was excellent. It was about 10 to 15 minute walk to union street. Definately stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you for your feedback, it is always appreciated. We are in a continual process to update our facilities. But will put it on the never ending list.

We are very happy that you continue to stay with us and that you enjoy it so much.

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Having had a fantastic meal in atlantis we decided to stay at the hotel. Room was very clean and cosy. Just like being at home. Breakfast was a rare treat, cooked to order. Staff very efficient and helpful. Was very busy but had a great buzz. Would definitely recommend the mariner.

• Stayed August 2013
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you for your positive review and recommendation.

A homely atmosphere is exactly what we aim to provide and am glad to hear that we achieved that for you.

We aim to please & are grateful for the patience during the busy times.

Many Thanks,

Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Just had dinner with my husband at the Atlantis Restaurant. Food was brilliant as usual, service great and the atmosphere very relaxed. The food is very reasonably prived. i have never had a bad meal yet. Was driving tonight so just on water but they have a lovely desert wine The Stump Jump Sticky Chardonnay which is a must

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Allison T
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you for your very good review. We are glad you enjoyed your dinner; it was our pleasure having you.

It is great to see that you keep coming back; we hope to see you again soon.