“Recommended”

Ranked #38 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Recommended”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I have stayed in the Mariner several times over the past few years. Some of the rooms could do with a bit of a spruce up, but the friendly staff and good food more than make up for this. Quiet (best ask for rooms at the back or in the annex) and only 20 mins walk from town, or 10 mins by bus from the bus stop outside the hotel.

Room Tip: A few rooms face the fairly busy road, for a quiet night ask for rooms at the back or in the annex.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thanks for the lovely review-and for taking the time to post it.

a bit like the painting of the Forth Road Bridge, we're working our way through all twenty five bedrooms with a programme of sprucing, re-design and general tarting up.

Glad the staff, food & location all added up to a good stay.

Hope to see you again soon.

Mike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Edinburgh
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Decent enough hotel, very middle of the road.

Staff were pleasant and helpful
Good parking
Nice bar and restaurant
Pretty good location

Tired decor
Noisy external doors
Very small tv in room 402

Don't think I would go back

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. Very decent of you.
As a three star, 'middle-of-the-road' sounds good to me... (then I always did have a penchant for Brotherhood of Man and Demis Roussos!).

I'm glad the staff looked after you and that you liked our Atlantis Restaurant and Cape Horn Bar.

Sorry you
short sentences...

mike
Stavanger
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights end of May. Travel agent booked a suit since there were no regular rooms available for my length of stay. The suit itself was nice and spacious and seemed to have been converted from a residence. It was made up of a small hallway where there was a fridge and sink. The bathroom was through the door straight ahead and the bedroom off to the right.

Right away I noticed a smell, like a u-tube/water lock had dried up and an odor was coming up from the sewer. Fortunately this was not a very strong odor and it was only contained to the hallway and not noticeably in the bathroom or bedroom. Bathroom was large, nice and clean. Looked to have been recently renovated with a towel heater, heated floor, large shower area and bath tub. On the negative side was a standard UK sink with two seperate taps which I absolutely hate. The sink was also very small with hardly any area for my items. There was also a small shelf next to the sink, but also this was too narrow for any more than a couple of toiletries.

As mentioned, bedroom was quite large with a corner chair, an office desk, a sitting area and a couch in another corner. I like a nice, large bedroom where I can move about. On the negative side, the carpet was not well cleaned and I found toe nail clippings on the floor (no, they were not mine). I called the front desk and they came and vacuumed the room while I was out for dinner that same evening. I also think they could have taken the time to change a couple of light bulbs that I mentioned to them my first night there, but which was not taken care off during my stay. The bed was way too hard for my liking.

One of the mornings there, the waitress was obviously stressed and not having the best day, which can happen to all of us. I did not make an issue of her getting my order wrong or forgot to bring items I had ordered. But it does not go in the favor of the hotel that they were not able to have sufficient staff there to handle the normal breakfast crowd.

Room Tip: The Shackleton suit is nice and spacious, but there was a slight stench of sewer in the hallway when...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review.

I am glad you enjoyed the spacious room and clean bathroom. Thank you for pointing out the plumbing issue, we have since rectified the problem, a broken u-bend under the floor-and it now again smells like a summer meadow!

Breakfast can be a bit hectic at times, we are normally well staffed but when all 25 rooms come down at once it can be a bit much for 1 waitress to handle. But I thank you for your patience and understanding.

I hope that you will stay with us again if you return to Aberdeen.

edinburgh
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

The Mariner is a bit dated and in need of a refurb but benefits from a nice location and good sized rooms. The reception area does not smell nice and i was not pleased to find my shower gel bottle empty!

• Stayed May 2013
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thank you for the response.

I am curious and worried to know what smell was so troubling to you, I hope it wasn’t me!

We are happy to deal with any problems you have during the stay, if you made us aware of the issue we would have dealt with it straight away.

Hope to see you back here on your next visit.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We have just spent a lovely Sunday afternoon at the Cape Horn Bar. A party of 20 people celebrating a Holy Communion. The table was beautifully set, excellent food and great service. The lounge area was kept private for us so children were able to play.
We will definitely come back there! Thank you!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thank you for your very positive review.

It was our pleasure to host the event for you and glad everything was to your liking.

If ever you need our services again, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Hope to see you back again soon.

Isle of Arran, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Just spent the weekend with my family and have never been treated so nicely in a hotel. They really are a credit to the hotel. My children were made to feel welcome and comfortable, even over breakfast with all the mess 2 children can make. The rooms are spotless and have facilities for any occasion. My husband really appreciated the coffee machine in the mornings. Breakfast was delicious and with good choices. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and cant wait to stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Many thanks for the excellent review; it was our pleasure to have your family stay with us.

As you may know we are a family run hotel and we welcome families, and their children, with open arms and I am happy to hear that my staff treated you well.
I am happy that the room, and the convenient coffee, were to your liking. And whatever the mess your children may have made at breakfast, they are still cleaner than some of the adults who stay.

Glad to know we will get to see you again, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Walton-on-the-Naze, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Really nice bar with good food and good service somewhere that was easy to relax in, the meal from the bar was good and breakfast was a just right only thing that let it down for me was a single room did get some noise from the rooms next door.Next time I will try a double room which is what I am normally used too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
I am happy to hear that you felt at home, and were able to relax.

The double rooms do offer a bit more space and being a bit further away from the walls will help with the guest noise

Thank you for taking the time to post the review, hope to see you again soon.