“A bit tired.”

Ranked #38 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Crewe, United Kingdom
“A bit tired.”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed for just one night in Sept' 2012. Hotel is nicely located with plenty of parking, room was a good size, decor was fine but just a little faded, three light bulbs had blown so it was a little dark.

Didn't have an evening meal, but breakfast was a little disappointing, slow service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012

Glad you found ample parking and that the room was spacious enough for you.

The decor was 'REALLY' faded we just put out the lights so you wouldnt notice as much.
sorry...only joking!

Seriously,thank you for your input, it is much appreciated.Sorry you were left in the dark.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

My husband had a business training to attend to and we're blessed to come with, my two kids and myself. Most of the people who worked there that I had the opportunity to conversed with were all nice and very helpful. It was our first trip to Aberdeen and my kids and I were all excited! I didn't had any problem asking for help like how to take a cab from the hotel to anywhere and how much or how to ride the bus. All my fears of taking my kids out became none existed because of all the informations they gave me. The three receptionists were all wonderful! The personnels who took care of our room were wonderful, as well (rm601). We had a king sized bed and sofa bed for our two kids ages 7 & 14 yrs.. The sofa bed sits across facing the king so they were able to watch their own movies without disturbing us :-D We had a sufficient size kitchen once we got out our room and nice bathroom. The sinks on both kitchen & bathroom are low for people using wheelchairs. The room is behind but still attached from the hotel which gave us a little privacy. Our first dinner was excellent! The food that we eat were all wonderful and our waiter was very helpful and nice. Our stay in the hotel was worth the trip specially, we only had three days. We've already decided that we're to come back again! To all the wonderful personnels whom we had the pleasure to meet, thank y'all kindly!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank edu c

We are so glad the lovely ladies on reception were able to assist you. And that the room provided a little home away from home for your family.

Really hope to see you again the next time you are in Aberdeen.

You and your family were a pleasure to have as guests!!
Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

Transferred in from a chain hotel and the difference can't be stressed enough. Friendly staff, bags taken up to the room, good food and a fairly good wine menu and above all a relaxing place to be! If you have the choice... don't be afraid and make the leap and try something away from chains.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Travel-with-Phil
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your positive reccomendation. We were delighted to have you stay with us.
We stive to provide our guests with a comfortable atmosphere and it is nice to see that our guests view us as such.

Thank you for taking your time to rate us,

Much appreciated.
There is none
Reviewed May 10, 2012

The hotel itself is magnificent - located within 10 minutes walking from Union Street and the city centre.
Rooms are spacious, have a decent size bath. Central heating is excellent and breakfast is hearty and delicious.
Sea food selection is very good. The interior is very good and the design is very well thought off.
The only inconvenience I could thin off is hospitality provided by receptionist (Agnieszka I believe) - after I spent over 1000 pounds staying in the hotel, she was somewhat coarse and unhelpful.
Even small things - like folding invoice and put it in an envelope was considered an extra and she made a face doing it, after being asked.
The TV channels selection is plenty. So hotel itself is very good, but some of the servants are not yet competent I am afraid.

Room Tip: Pay extra 15 pounds and ask for a superior room! Otherwise for standard ask room #10.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Niterainbow
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Whilst I greatly appreciate your glowing report and the high rating you have given us - I still requested to have this review removed by trip advisor. They have refused; whilst it is ok for you to mention a member of my staff by name ,I may not mention yours....but that's an issue for another day!
Agnieszka is a charming, sunny, pleasant, helpful, respected ,hardworking, senior and invaluable member of my team. She is NO ONES 'servant'.
You, however, were widely regarded as curt and abrupt by many members of my staff - some even requesting not to 'serve' you.
do unto others...yada yada.
Guest Tip: if someone says "good morning , how are you" do not respond with "fine,Why?"
Redcar, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I am currently staying here for the second time on business and have found The Mariner to be an excellent base. It is a pleasant and friendly place to stay with good access to all local areas. The main attraction is that this is not some soulless hotel chain, it's a small friendly venue with very pleasant staff. The bar is always lively and worth visiting for a pint after work and although I have not eaten in the restaurant on an evening it is always busy. I can also vouch for the breakfasts being superb! Wifi is free and breakfast is included. Great place to stay, I recommend The Mariner for business or pleasure.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Joninho75
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thanks for your great review - so glad you are enjoying staying with us.
We pride ourselves on being soul-FULL - whilst we dont have the facilities of the big chains, we have a superb family of staff who take great pleasure in creating a warm and hospitable atmosphere.
Next stay you must join us for a meal in the Atlantis restaurant...
swift33
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We found this hotel by accident, and thank goodness we did. It is one of the best places in Aberdeen. The service was excellent, a good choice of menu.. We chose the 3 course meal for only £20.0o including coffee, cannot fault anything at all we shall be back.

Room Tip: We only ate there.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I stay at the Mariner Hotel regularly, when on business in Aberdeen. Service is warm and friendly without being at all intrusive. It is very efficiently run - I have never had a single problem, issue or complaint in all the times I have stayed there. Rooms are nicely furnished and very comfortable. The decor is a little dated, perhaps, but not at all tired or shabby. The bathrooms are well equipped with powerful and effective showers and baths.

For such a small privately run hotel it has an excellent restaurant which specialises in seafood and a comfortable bar that sells real ale as well as bar meals. The food is of a very good quality and the restaurant is used by locals for a special meal out. There is a reasonably priced set menu with choices and an a la carte menu with daily specials. My only slight niggle is that the food is pricey - perhaps that is the norm in Aberdeen which isn't a cheap place to stay, but £12 for fish and chips in the bar is a little steep for a bar meal. A gorgeous plate of king prawns for a main course is a pricey £17 but absolutely delicious. The seafood platter for 2 is something special.

Breakfast is served in the pleasant conservatory area of the restaurant, with a good selection of cereals, croissants and butteries (Aberdeen speciality), toast, yoghurts, fresh fruit and cooked breakfast. I don't recall seeing hams and cheeses as an option so not a full 'continental' range. Good quality nevertheless.

Ideally I would give The Mariner 4.5 out of 5, because everything is excellent but a little expensive. However, I think given the consistent quality and the attention to detail that it has shown in all my stays, it would be churlish not to come down on the side of excellent.

Room Tip: I have stayed in 4 or 5 different rooms. All have been comfortable. There are a few rooms in an adja...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank HAL11
plato42, Owner at The Mariner Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Thanks for the super review - and thanks for being without 'churl'!!
look forward to your joining us again soon - cheers!