Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition
Ranked #23 of 65 Hotels in Aberdeen
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Stayed a couple of nights while attending a conference in the adjacent Aberdeen exhibition Centre. The Holiday Inn express is behind the Holiday Inn which did cause a bit of confusion initially. Comfortable room, very clean and tidy. Staff very pleasent and helpful. Dining a bit basic but can go next door to the Holiday Inn which has a good menu. Reasonable breakfast in the morning. Could be a bit more choice on the hot food but a good choice of other breakfast favourites. Had a very comfortable stay ideal for attending events at the Aberdeen Conference Centre with plenty of parking. Would certainly stay again and recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms at rear of hotel very quiet
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
aeccexpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Oldsmiddy,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the hotel.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback.
I regret we cannot offer a wider selection of hot breakfast items but due to brand restrictions,we are limited in the number of hot items we can offer.

Thank you once again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Kind Regards

Reviewed April 11, 2014

The Holiday Inn Express is I would describe as a perfectly clean and functional hotel and adequate for a nights stopover. Fortunately I am a platinum member although I am not sure there is any difference in the rooms but you do stay on the executive floor which was a very nice floor.
I wouldn't stay here for a week but I think it is geared mainly for business people, as I was, staying just the one night and for that it is clean and functional.
I think the rooms are a tad small but after a long day you don't have time to worry about that. The beds are very comfy which is very important and there is also a nice tv in the room to watch whilst you relax before turning in. I did have free wifi and free buffet breakfast. Breakfast I thought would be more than basic but it turned out to be quite pleasant with a good selection i.e. coffe, tea, fruit juice, fruit, croissants, buns and toast along with a hot breakfast of sausage and scrambled eggs.
There isn't a restaurant in the Holiday Inn Express however there are restaurants in their Holiday Inn Exhibition Centre hotel a few minutes walk away where you can obtain an evening meal/snack.
I would definitely have no hesitation in staying overnight again but would probably not take the family for a holiday as it isn't, in my opinion, that type of hotel.
One point, the hotel is rather warm although I'm not complaining as I love warm cosy places but I know others don't so just thought I'd mention it.

Room Tip: Higher floors are usually quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
aeccexpress, Deputy Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Dear Lindyloo1

Thank you of taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen Exhibition Centre.

I am really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the standards and service provided where a nice surprise for you.

Thank you once again for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

It's been a few years since I last stayed in a Holiday Inn, and what a change it was!

Standards have improved dramatically. Staff are extremely polite and the hotel in general has a quality feeling to it.

The room was a decent size and the double bed was extremely comfortable.

My only fault with the room was the heating unit in the roof. I was in room 105 and it sounded like a jet engine on warm up even when I turned it off. Luckily I'm used to background noise but if my partner had been with me it would have been another story.

The express doesn't offer much to eat in the hotel so I went to the regular Holiday Inn next door. Again the quality of both the food and service was a pleasant surprise.

Avoid rooms above the reception area though. Mine was right above the smoking area, meaning I couldn't open the window at all and even with it shut I was kept awake by loud conversation below until after 11pm

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear RossStewart

Thank you for taking the time to write review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Aberdeen Exhibition Centre.

I am so pleased to read that you found the hotels bed comfortable and that the Holiday Inn Express standards improved dramatically since you last stayed in one.

I am sorry to hear you found the Air-Conditioning unit and the people outside to be very noisy. Next time you visit, let us know and we will ensure that you are allocated to a quiet room.

I really appreciate the kind comments you have made about both hotels.

Once again thank you taking the time to write a review and I hope it is not too long before we welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Stayed for one night in March 2014. Hotel reception area was very clean and smart. Check in was good and it was recognised that I had Platinum elete status. Room was to a good standard and very clean. Free breakfast was served from 6.30 am for hot food but as I was leaving earlier i could not get this however there was a good selection of cerials, fruit, etc for self help.Check out was quick and accurate. Would use this hotel again. Only down side for me is that it is a far way out from the city or airport.

Room Tip: My room was across from the lifts and overlooked the car park but neither of these things got in the...

Dear Raymondo1951

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express AECC.

I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel and you found every thing to fit your needs whilst you stayed with us.

Thank you once again for writing a review of your stay and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

We spent 2 nights here last weekend for a conference. Given we booked only a week before we thought the price we got was pretty good value, helped further by breakfast being included. The room was a bit small and we only had views of the car park but it was clean & quiet, the bed was comfy and we both slept well both nights and the shower was great. Breakfast was limited but did include some hot food as well as the normal buffet options and it was very relaxed. The hotel is a bit out of town and not many food options in walking distance but that is probably why it's so quiet & we had no problems driving in the city.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
aeccexpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear Cerian T,

Thank you for taking the time to write review of your recent stay.

I am pleased to hear that you had a good nights sleep with us and glad you enjoyed the buffet breakfast with hot options.
As the hotel is not located in the city centre we can be a bit quieter. However we have good public transportation into the city, which are frequent and located just outside the hotel car park.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Almost every time I stay here I get a room on the east facing side towards the upper half of room numbers.

The problem is that when the wind blows even moderately, which is regular given it faces the North Sea, the wind howls across the east face of the building. If you stand in the car park you hear it loud and clear but if you have a room ending in numbers 17 to 29 on any of the floors, then you hear this outside your bedroom window all night long.

I have brought this up every time I stay. Often I'm told that they will move me to another part of the hotel. But this time I got to speak to the Manager about it. And he confirmed that it is a serious problem, but there's nothing can be done about it as it is due to the design of the building and the nearby exhibition centre. But, most startlingly, he confirmed to me that the company forces him to let those rooms regardless, and just hopes no-one complains. If they do, move them to a decent room.

Now that's a bit like being given a rental car which the rental company knows isn't roadworthy, but when it inevitably breaks down on you will give you a proper functioning one and immediately pass the faulty one onto the next unsuspecting sucker.

So far that reason alone, this gets a bottom star rating. The underlying problem is that in Aberdeen they can indeed let any old room, as there is such high demand. Our company books rooms there on a regular basis but I shall certainly be making moves to ensure that this stops, as this is treating customers with contempt.

As for other aspects of the hotel.....it's clean. There is free Wifi but it's not very reliable. The beds are doubles, but standard UK doubles so not that big. The hotel is mostly used by crew change workers going to/from offshore, so every time you go in or out of the hotel you have to walk through a cloud of smokers who stand right outside the door. There's a free help-yourself-breakfast, but the hot food is regularly either not hot / burnt / finished. The windows in all rooms facing east don't open (design flaw again to do with the weather!); and the air-conditioning has a tendency to be noisy (gargles and wheezes a lot).

So if you still insist on staying here and are offered a room at check-in with the numbers in the range x17 to x29, refuse it and ask for ones on the west side of the building.

Room Tip: Ask for west facing side of building.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
aeccexpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Aberdeen Exhibition, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Shift agenda,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the hotel.
I am deeply sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay with us and can only apologise for the shortcomings you have experienced.
We do our upmost to ensure that all our guests have an enjoyable stay with us and I am sorry that on this occasion we have failed to meet your expectations.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write your review and if we can do anything in the future for you please let us know

Reviewed March 19, 2014

1st class and breakfast was great. stayed for only one night , but had no problems and would use this hotel again. car parking was great . it is a bit out of town , but as we had a car this was fine. food was great at breakfast. chack in and out was very good

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Ross M,
Thank you for thaking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.
I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction.

Thank you once again for staying with us and I hope it is not to long before welcome you back