“The perfect night”
Review of The Marcliffe

The Marcliffe
Ranked #34 of 671 Restaurants in Aberdeen
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dundee, United Kingdom
“The perfect night”
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

I had high expectations when booking The Marcliffe for out anniversary. It was fairly pricey and any reviews I'd come across highly recommended the hotel.

Our room was ideal. Great size, excellent furnishings and a comfortable king bed.

However, the experience truly started when we went for dinner. The service was impeccable from start to finish and the good was out of this world. If you are a meat eater, the quality of the product is absolutely fantastic. I had a burger for main course and it was without doubt, THE BEST burger I have ever had in my life. Accompanied by a quality red wine, it certainly made for one of my most memorable meals.

The portions for each course were generous to say the least which is something that is fairly uncommon in restaurants of that quality.

A memorable stay and it is a real shame to hear the hotel will cease to exist later this year. I feel privileged to have experienced it and I'm sure the chef (and all of the hotel staff) will not struggle to find jobs elsewhere.

1 Thank Bear1872

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Wow”
Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

Always an a amazing meal! We had our company Christmas dinner and it was incredible! Would go there again in a heartbeat.

Visited December 2013
aberdeen, scotland
“Afternoon tea - nice but poor selection of tea!”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I'm not a tea drinker but my husband is so he was very disappointed to find the only 'real' tea on offer is English Breakfast (he doesn't consider the fruit infusions as tea!) We would've expected there to be at least other teas such as Assam, Darjeeling, Lapsang Souchong on offer as it is after all Afternoon 'Tea'! To be fair the waiter did manage to rustle up a Darjeeling tea bag for him and the service was very good - but to be even better take a tip from some of the London hotels where there is a better selection of teas on offer.

1 Thank sfcAberdeen
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Superb food quality and service”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We ate here twice during our stay and the food was superb in every way. There was also no trouble in ordering slight variations to the menu. The plates were piping hot so that the food retained its heat while eating and the service was timely and pleasant. the range of food was exceptional and the quality of the meat and fist very high. This was some of the best food i have ever had in a restaurant.

Kincardineshire
“Sadly disappointing”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Visited here again with a group of girlfriends. Initially, the staff were very attentive with drinks orders and nibbles. I asked for a salad with Caesar Salad dressing with tempura prawns but I only wanted the prawns, so that was fine. The tempura batter was not as light as I had hoped and the prawns were slightly over done. Now onto my main course of fillet steak cooked medium rare, on the rarer side if possible. My steak arrived and it was black, and cutting into it was more very well done. I sent it back and the waitress agreed this was not what it should have been. By the time my second steak arrived, everyone else at the table had finished. Cutting into a fillet steak should be like cutting butter. This steak was served medium with what must have been a huge amount of salt for seasoning. It was in edible - I had one small fork.I told the waiter, when asked if everything was okay that the amount of salt on it was too much and asked for the steak to be wrapped so that I could take it home to my dog, although I had to soak it in water before giving it to her.
This experience marred what should have been a good night out. One of my friends said that she didn't enjoy her steak either, it being very dry, but was too shy to send it back.
Perhaps it was just an off night for the chef cooking the steaks as the ladies who had fish dishes were all pleased. I do hope that when the Marcliffe closes, the next restaurant in there will revert back to their former glory