“Posh Lunch”

Sand Dollar Cafe
Ranked #38 of 707 Restaurants in Aberdeen
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Sand Dollar Cafe and Bistro is a seafront restaurant serving breakfasts, lunches and dinners (Thur, Fri and Sat from 6pm to late).....offering daily specials in a friendly atmosphere, we have outside seating and always welcome children.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Friends visiting from the states on an unusually (except this year) hot sunny Aberdeen day, so we decided on a nice lunch at the beach. The food was lovely, staff very friendly and accomodating, the bill a bit pricey for lunch, but it was well worth it. My pal though says that my salad couldn't be a salad as it had bacon and black pudding in it ....... i disagreed - it was a *fine* salad

Fish-and-Steak, Owner at Sand Dollar Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

It was great to read you enjoyed your lunch with your friends from the US, I will ensure your kind comments are passed on to the staff, I hope you will come again soon, why not try our Bistro on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night....I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I am a HUGE fan of the Sand Dollar and regularly enjoy breakfast there, as well as relaxed lunches with the girls, and on special occasions, dinner in their bistro in the evenings. Food is always good and plentiful, and the specials board is always worth a look. The Sand Dollar is always busy and service can be a little slow at times, but on a gorgeous summers day, sit back and enjoy the stunning views over Aberdeen Beach and over towards the harbor. This year, the dolphins have been spotted regularly too!

Fish-and-Steak, Owner at Sand Dollar Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

We really appreciate you taking the time to write a Trip advisor Review and it is especially good to read a review from someone who has experienced the full service offerings of the Sand Dollar Cafe and the Bistro, and appreciate the effort and time taken to offer a quality service. I will make sure the staff are made aware of your kind comments and I look forward to welcoming you to the Sand Dollar again soon....

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We had a lovely lunch here on Sunday and whilst it wasn't overly busy, we felt that the staff seemed slightly disorganised and at least 3 of them walked past our empty plates. We had been looking forward to sampling the brownie pudding but decided to leave it.

I am sure this is just a small hiccup and they maybe were short staffed.

Fish-and-Steak, Owner at Sand Dollar Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor Review, I am pleased to read you enjoyed your lunch, but disappointed to read your dishes were not removed in time for you to select a pudding.

Sundays can be exceptionally busy and the staff do get a bit tied, but this is no excuse and I apologise for the inconvienence....as you enjoyed the food so much I hope you will come back soon and hopefully you will manage a pudding.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

The welcome was as inviting as the menu. We luckily had a table for 2 in the window which was great for watching the world (and odd passing ship) go by. We were off to the cinema later so had decided to limit ourselves to a main course - though this was later changed to include a wonderful chocolate mousse with gorgeous walnut shortbread! We indulged in a glass of Gavi de Gavi (my all time favourite) which was beautifully chilled. Turning our attention to the menu, my friend had the Spiced Monkfish on a bed of Sweet Potato purée, buttered Mange Tout and Baby Corn, served with Smoked Paprika Butter which, I was told, was delicious. I had the Chicken Supreme in a White Wine and Morel Mushroom sauce with crushed blue potatoes. The chicken was wonderfully moist and the sauce was definitely more'ish. The only weird thing was tucking into the blue potatoes - they lacked seasoning and were a bit on the lukewarm side. However, overall the food and service were impeccable. I would advise booking in advance as it's not open in the evenings all week

Fish-and-Steak, Owner at Sand Dollar Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor Review, it is really pleasing to know that the efforts of the staff are appreciated and you recognised the quality of the food and service. We hope you will come back soon and maybe have three courses this time.....I will pass on your comments to the staff, thanks again.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is restraurant is unique in Aberdeen. I dined with a friend yesterday evening and were welcomed by a friendly smile by the waitresses who seemed genuinely intrested in where we wanted to sit and what we wanted to drink rather than the rushed sulleness that is all to common from the the hundreds of "chain" restaurants in this city. The world class service continued throughout our visit. The food matched the service...delicious and again served with courtesy in relaxing and charming surroundings, in fact the meal was exceptional. The owner recognised my friend who had visitited before and took time to chat to us and ask about our exprience and was warm and welcoming. We finished off our meal with the perfect cappuccino and a sweet from the various selection of homebakes...wonderful. This is a top class, refereshing independently owned and run restaurant providing world class service, food and excellent value for money. Looking for somewhere to have a good meal...definately come to the Sanddollar Cafe. Excellent !!!

I was really pleased to read your Trip Advisor Review and I thank-you for your kind words, it is great to read that the effort made by the team at the Sand Dollar is really appreciated and I will make sure your kind words are passed on to the staff. I look forward to welcoming you and your friend to the Sand Dollar again soon...