“Disgusting food” 1 of 5 bubbles

Silverbirch Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Omagh
“Disgusting food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I took my mother here on bank holiday Monday for a birthday meal and what a shock we had at the standard of food I could have done much better at home in my own kitchen two bries where ordered to start when they arrived they where cold and soggy there was hardly any bread crumbs on them and some of the Brie was still hard presentation was awful I think they where microwaved who on earth microwaves brie ???? i had prawns to start they where ok . For main my mum had roast beef dinner which nearly turned me when I seen it as there was about a centimetre of white fat around the dried up piece of meat and the veg was very over cooked they had lost all there colour honestly I spent a week in hospital and I would say that this dish would have been worse than the food I got over the week . My husband had fillet steak with a brandy and garlic sauce which was horrible his steak was cooked how he ordered it but tasted very strong like liver . I had sirloin steak asked for it medium and it came out very well done and dry it was like rubber the French fried onions where swimming in grease we where the shown the desert menu which we all laught at peach Melba , triffle , ice cream very old fashioned we declined and paid the 60 pound bill and left rather deflated at such a tasteless bad quality meal in this day and age nobody has to put up with that sort of rubbish won't be back and won't be recommending only plus was server was friendly and service was quick .place needs a new chef if they even have one microwave seems to be used a lot

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Linny343

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay. "I was with a group of 20 US golfing friends at this
wonderful hotel for two nights in mid August. Throughout the entire stay the
staff and management could not have been more welcoming, courteous,
attentive and helpful.
The hotel layout is modern and very comfortable, and makes a great location
base to explore the Northwest and general area. The rooms are clean and well
laid out with all the modern amenities, the food was excellent and above all
the people that work there were superb.... from the reception staff, to bar
establishment and can't wait until we get a chance to return again".

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank yeleed
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying with a group of 20 US golfing friends at this wonderful hotel for two nights in mid August. Throughout the entire stay the staff and management could not have been more welcoming, courteous, attentive and helpful. They get TOP MARKS in every category.
The hotel layout is modern and very comfortable, and makes a great location base to explore the Northwest and general area. The rooms are clean and well laid out with all the modern amenities, the food was excellent and above all the people that work there were superb.... from the reception staff, to bar staff, to waitressing staff to the owners and management, all were truly superb. They went above and beyond what we expected. I highly recommend this establishment and con't wait until we get a chance to return again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank David W
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed on business and booked on booking.com. This hotel definitely ticks all the boxes, with the exception of aesthetics. It looks like a motel type establishment or conference centre from the outside. Staff are great, especially the front desk and girls in the restaurant who are extremely attentive and courteous. The rooms are nicely decorated and wi-fi is perhaps the best I have experienced in Northern Ireland. Big flat screen TV with plenty of channels. Iron & ironing board in the room. Although the room was on the main road, I still slept very well. The room was very clean. Food in the restaurant was good, not excellent, but I would still eat here if I stayed in the future. The portions are enormous and this is not necessary but seems to be a trait in NI. I liked it that there was plug by the bed to charge my phone. It sounds like nothing but many hotels (I believe on purpose) situate the plug on the other side of the room. I will definitely stay here in future, and I am delighted that I found this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PhilExport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Great Hotel, Brilliant Staff who help with everything and always with a smile on their faces. Great restaurant for Dinner with a good variety and a great breakfast with very generous portions and always Freshly cooked to order.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TravmackzA
Sleaford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

This was another return visit (5th) to this small hotel that definitely punches well above its weight.

A family group of 10 stayed for a week. The quality of service was second to none. All staff were very friendly and attentive. I particularly recall Shirley in the restaurant, Andy the night porter, Paul the function manager and Michaela in the bar. But that may be a bit unfair to the others who were also fantastic.

I am a professional chef of 50 years so I may be a bit critical but I have to say the food is good, clean and not pretentious, nor is it overpriced; but the breakfast is outstanding. The service for all dining is first class.

It is situated a bit out of town but in many ways this adds to the feel that it is a bit like a best kept secret.

So I look forward to another visit next year to the birches. I fully agree with other reviews that feel it is a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank John S
Limavady, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a really relaxing weekend break to The SIlverbirch. Room was very clean and just big enough for the two of us for it to feel really cosy. We ate in the restaurant both nights and the food was excellent as was the service from the team there. Food isn't fine dining but what is on offer is excellent quality and flavorful; one of the few places to cook the steak as I like it. Staff on the reception desk are very approachable and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel doesn't have a great view but there is a lot of work going on in Omagh at the moment and I wasn't really bothered about the view. We had breakfast in our room, which was a cooked breakfast and not a lot of other hotels I've stayed in give you this option, usually the continental not the full Irish, it was excellent really enjoyed it. I still can't get my head round the fact that this is only a 3* hotel, should be a 4*. I would have no hesitation recommending this hotel to others. We really enjoyed our stay and hope to get back as a soon as we can, I'll be back for the Argentinian Malbeck if nothing else, it was delicious! A ten minute stroll has you in Omagh town where there are plenty of places to spend! Thanks for a really enjoyable and relaxing stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Adam M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Omagh
Corick House
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,391 reviews
The Enniskillen Hotel
The Enniskillen Hotel
#6 of 7 in Enniskillen

Been to Silverbirch Hotel? Share your experiences!