“Fantastic”
Review of Serendipity House

Serendipity House
Ranked #4 of 44 Derry B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Me and my mum stayed one night here in May 2013, around the time of the Derry Jazz Festival. Whilst the weather wasn't great, the B+B was fantastic, friendly welcome, lovely, clean room, with plenty of coffee, tea and biscuits. We had the use of a private bathroom, with a super hot shower.
The breaskfast included was ample, (continental) with loads of selection of cereals, fruits, cheese, muffins, irish bread, toast.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: All rooms were amazing:)
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We are just back down in Dublin after staying in Angel House, Serendipity's sister across the road. We were up for Other Voices, the amazing music festival and spent two nights in this great little spot. Our room was lovely, the shower was better than our own at home so we loved it and the staff are just little gems. We really felt at home there and would defo advise people to book in. Paul and Charlotte are great hosts and they gave us travel advice and told us about some great little pubs to go to. The breakfast finishes too early on the weekends though, i think ye should push it to 10am or 1030. X

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 15, 2012

My Aunt and I spent two night in a lovely room overlooking the street. Initially we only intended to stay one night but after information provided by Stephen we changed our mind.

Stephen met us and showed us to our room which was spotlessly clean, beautifully appointed and with a great ensuite. Stephen assured me that the water pressure was good and that I would not run out of water....he was true to his word. The ensuite was a good size.

Stephen is a credit to his establishment, his city and country. He provided us with information on where to go and what to see and was engaging and knowledgable about his home city.

Whilst a cooked breakfast does cost a few Extra Euros, we were not looking for this and where well pleased with toast, cereal, yogurts and fruits.....and a good stong cup of tea.

I do not understand the negative reviews. I found that Serendipity delivered all that it stated on various sites. The information on credit card charges and breakfast are there for all to see. For a budget conscious traveller, Serendipity delivers.

As women travellers, safety and security is paramount and Serendipty delivers in this respect also.

I hope to bring my daughter back to Derry and we will be staying here.

Room Tip: The front room is fantastic
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Noeleen S
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Pro|: owner very nice, nice room, very flexible, great shower, nice toilette
Con: no toilette paper, we asked for it, for Irish breakfast you should pay more, is not included, if you pay with credit card is more expensive

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amelie123_12
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have just returned home from a two night stay at Serendipity and am somewhat disappointed with some aspects of my stay. Firstly I would say how clean the room was on my arrival with regard to bedding and ensuite however my room was not hoovered, tea, milk etc replenished and had very little hand soap in the ensuite. There was neither a liner in the bin ensuite and no bin at all in the bedroom - not very hygenic!!! My biggest disappointment was breakfast, having paid £40 per night this did not include a cooked breakfast. The quality of the 'continental' style was really quite dibolical. The fresh fruit was well past being edible, the cold meat was clearly of the cheapest cuts and left on uncovered plates and a sliced tomato which was so limp fell apart when I tried to lift it off the plate. This really is not good value for money when you are paying £40 per night. I had a four day stay in September travelling in the South of Ireland and paid £25 for a nights stay with a fully irish breakfast included in all my accommodation, therefore in comparision this is a complete rip off. I would not recommend this B & B as value for money.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Christina B
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I fail to understand how this Bed & Breakfast has earned itself the accolades it apparently receives, from Trip Advisor and the Times. There’s no way this is one of the 12 best B&B in the UK! I’ll give it the following, the staff are agreeable, the place is clean and tidy and the view of Derry from the dining room and bedroom are very good, but that’s all. The attic double room we were allocated cannot by any stretch of imagination be described as luxurious, it is tiny, with an on-suite shower room that is even tinier and not a single cupboard or chest of drawers to store clothes. Talk about swinging a cat, two people hardly fit in, what with the inevitable suitcases on the floor. Once you’re in, the shower is a good one, but the basin is about 25 cm in diameter and you have to open the bathroom door in order to be able to stand in front of the mirror to shave. However, the main complaints are that the breakfast doesn’t include hot plates unless they’re ordered the day before and they come with a surcharge; first night admittance is limited to 20.00 hours (although this cut off time was stretched to 21.00 after a telephone call); and, worst of all, payment has to be made in cash with a 5% surcharge if you insist on paying by credit card… totally unacceptable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Maignon48b
paulderry, Manager at Serendipity House, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2012

I would like to thank the guest for there review, however i do feel that the guests expectations may far exceed the product that we offer, the guest must have missed the two lockers and the dresser which in total as 9 drawers, we do not pretend to be a five star establishment, we are offering budget accommodation to the middle market and value for money prices, we are a converted town house and as such some rooms (not all) have been limited in size to accommodate en-suites, we pride ourself on our standard of finish in each room to compensate for our shortfalls eg, excellent showers, top end beds and fitting and furniture, The guest has failed to mention a lot of detail and has somewhat embellished the shortfalls, we offer continental breakfast as standard with the option of cooked at a mere £3.50, which guest quite often do not wish for as we include but not limit to, 6 cereals, fruit salad, yougarts, pate, fresh cut ham form the local butcher, two cheeses, salami, tomatoes, freshly baked scones, pancakes and muffins, orange juice, 4 different tea's, coffee, white and brown toast,
Im sorry that this guest felt so disappointed with there stay, however i do feel people who want five star accommodation should book 5 star accommodation.

many thanks

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Myself and a friend visited Serendipity House for a long weekend at the end of May. Although slightly on the small side, the room was fine - it suited our needs, was very clean and the bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in away from home! Breakfast was very nice and set us up for the day. The owners and staff made us feel extremely welcome and went out of their way to help, giving us tips on where to go and what to see. I would definitely recommend Serendipity to anyone visiting Derry and will be sure to return there if I visit again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends