“What a lovely place to stay”

Da Vinci's Hotel Derry
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed December 11, 2013

I arrived early from England and my room was available already which was great as I could get my head down for a few hours. I did ring the night before and they said they would do there best and they kept there word. The staff were so friendly to me and this was great to see. This was my first visit to Ireland and the whole experience was incredible. I met my girlfriend later that day who is a Derry girl and we had a few guinnesses in the bar as you do :-). We ate in the restaurant that evening and even though it was busy they still found a table for us and the service and food was incredible. The rooms were lovely and clean too. This made my visit to see my girlfriend very pleasant and I would definatly stay at da vincis again. Thanks.

• Stayed: December 2013
DaVincisHotel, Sales & Marketing Manager at Da Vinci's Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear ‘WayneB’,
It is lovely to hear from you and I am delighted that we made your visit to Derry so enjoyable. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on this forum. We are lucky that we have a great time and I will be sure to pass on your kind words to them. We look forward to welcoming you back to Da Vinci’s Hotel soon.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Bed felt a bit worn- but still the best choice!!
Best hotel in Derry by a mile... Ive stayed in them all for business.

The food and service at this hotel are second to none, the only thing it lacks is the gym. You can use one 'up the road' but it is too far away.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear ‘loopysilvette’,
I appreciate you taking the time to review your stays at Da Vinci’s Hotel. I am delighted that you have had good experiences during your many stays and that you continue to come back. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

just back home after a lovely stay in Da Vinci's Derry, Excellent service by all staff made to feel very welcome, Stayed in an executive room on 4th floor, little bit noisy from music below but not disturbing as it finished by 1.30am Breakfast was very tasty and the choice extensive, only complaint tea and coffee removed on the dot of 10.30 before residents left the restaurant
Da Vinci's really was another shining light on this "Luminere" weekend. The parking at the hotel is brilliant. We parked up and walked or taxied.

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms excellent

Dear ‘joanmacca’,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on this forum. I am pleased that our rooms and staff impressed you so much and you really picked a great weekend to visit Derry, the Lumiere festival was amazing. There are lots of events and festivals planned for 2014 so keep an eye on our website for event/festival packages. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

I've stayed in many hotels - but I always enjoy going back to DaVinci's as it never ceases to amaze me. The attention to detail and care shown by the staff and management of DaVinci's is exceptional.The executive rooms are beautifully decorated and spacious.The restaurant is superb, the bar staff are very friendly and the Guinness is excellent.
I happily recommend DaVinci's as one of the best (if not THE best) hotels in Derry.

Room Tip: 4th Floor Executive rooms
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TJKDublin

Dear ‘TJKDerry’,
It is great to hear from a loyal customer and I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences on this forum. It is always encouraging to receive comments from guests that stay with us often, it is important for us to ensure we are providing consistently exceptional service and product to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

As part of a pre wedding party my fiancee and I thought it would be a nice idea to get all of our families and friends, along with their partners, up to Derry for a few drinks and some nice food to help us celebrate.
From the very first phone call I had a terrible experience with the staff at Da Vincis. The plan was to phone and reserve 12 rooms for friends and family. I phoned and at the same time asked if it would be possible to get a deal as there were 12 rooms being booked....well, you would think I had seriously offended the front desk receptionist for asking such a question. I was told the rooms were normally £150 per night at the weekends and that the best they could do was £100 with breakfast. I agreed with this 'deal' even though the girl seemed more concerned with my booking being for a stag do "hotel policy is not to accept stag bookings", in reply to which I confirmed it was not a stag booking (does this hotel ever take bookings from male customers??). The rooms were to be reserved for one week. Later on, a quick website check revealed that the hotel was actually available for £100 per night for that weekend with breakfast!! So in fact the 'deal' she offered wasn't a deal at all!! Great deal, thanks for your honesty.
Less than one week later I received another call from an eastern european member of staff who wanted to first question why I had not yet booked in.... I said it had not been a full week yet, but actually could she help me out with the price, as the 'deal' was the same as the currently listed website price. I also stated that some of the current deals were £35pp with breakfast (£70 per room with breakfast) and asked could she bring our rate down to somewhere in between....£90 was the best she could do and she basically said if you can get it cheaper, go elsewhere....and secondly I was again questioned about the booking being for a stag do...!!...I repeated "no this is not a stag do, it is for a couples night out". At this point I'm thinking what have I signed up for, because I know my friends have high expectations of hotels and of this place considering what we had told them about it. Unfortunately our opinion was based solely on the experiences in the Spirit bar and front bar which we have enjoyed many times in the last 3 years.
My friends began to book the hotel and they were NOT quoted the £90 rate and apparently it was a "struggle" to find the reservation under my name.....
A few days later I received a phone call from the 'hotel accommodation manager' stating that she was giving me notice of cancelling my booking. I asked her why and her response was "it is hotel policy not to take bookings for a stag do".....This is not a stag do I repeated to her...talk about frustration.... She continued to refer to it as a stag do and I continued to correct her. Her attitude was appalling as she talked over the top of me each time I tried to explain. Then the sarcasm began from her "oh I know you must be very very disappointed, but I think we've given you enough notice to find somewhere else"...The attitude of this woman was ridiculous, it's almost like she believes she owns the hotel. From what I can see and hear from the general public, the last thing they should be doing is turning down bookings. It is even more outrageous that they actively encourage hen parties (online deal for hens....NOT stags!) to fill the place each weekend! I can only assume that as it was mostly guys phoning up to make the bookings on behalf of their partners, she has taken it upon herself to judge the booking as a stag. Then to top off her stinking attitude, the notice she refered to in that call was the duration of the phone call, because as she set the phone down she immediately phoned my friends/family to inform them of the cancellation.
My fiancee then phoned to complain and got the same bad manners from this woman. She was put through to the general manager who appeared to be understanding and said he would investigate as there appeared to be a misunderstanding and that he would call back....Instead the same 'hotel accommodation manager' phoned my fiancee to remind her that the booking was cancelled and they "do not accept stag do bookings". It would appear the GM had no authority over his staff.
Seriously, have these members of staff ever completed any customer service courses in their careers? We have stayed in many hotels over the years, but I have never met such a group of unmotivated, unfriendly, unaccommodating staff who had such inability to listen to the customer.

I should have gone with my gut instinct on the very first call and advised friends of a different hotel. Well, we found a hotel that does actually listen and they've taken a booking for 15 rooms. We actually spent a little more also, due to the nice upgrades on offer.

I actually resent having to score this hotel 1/5 for service as I would mark it much lower.

4  Thank 79Gareth
DaVincisHotel, General Manager at Da Vinci's Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

Dear 79Gareth,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your comments regarding your recent booking experience with Da Vinci’s Hotel. Feedback, whether positive or negative from our guests is greatly appreciated – it is a very important tool for us in helping to continually deliver the best customer care we can for our guests (and potential guests like yourselves). It is disappointing that you feel the booking was not handled to your satisfaction and I don’t think it would be prudent to go through each of your points to clarify the situation as this was already done over the telephone. I think it is suffice to say that you are very unhappy we could not accept the booking and I understand but there was a clear reason for this. Furthermore I must disagree with the overall thrust of your submission in relation to my staff and the service at the hotel which I believe is a consequence of the hotel not accepting the booking. We receive very favourable comments consistently about our staff and our service resulting in huge repeat business and a very high satisfaction rating across many platforms. However once again I thank you for taking the time to submit your opinions.

Andy O'Doherty

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Well what can I say.

I cannot praise this hotel enough.

I have stayed at this hotel in the height of one of its busiest periods and can only compliment all the staff for their professional approach.

I would like to praise the restaurant staff especially the restaurant manager who was a credit to her profession.

We as a race are quick enough to complain, but reluctant to compliment.

I spoke to the restaurant manager and complimented her and all the staff she managed, from her own words "When some one wants a quiet word, its normally not a good quiet word"

Praise people where praise is due.

Well done all staff.

I will be back this Sunday 1st December 2013 for another 4 days.

Thank you - one and all.

Mr Wallis Room 406

Room Tip: Try to book the exucutive rooms as they are on the fourth floor and the view of Derry is beautiful.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Eric W

Dear ‘Eric W’,
It is lovely to hear from you and thank you for kind words. I will be sure pass on your kind compliments to our staff and Restaurant Manager. We look forward to welcoming you back to Da Vinci’s Hotel very soon.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

I was amongst a group of couples who booked to stay at this hotel for a family couples weekend in Derry. What we encountered was very unpleasant. Our bookings, after being reserved and paid for, were cancelled by the hotel with no rational explanation. We encountered awful customer service from day 1 with this hotel. The staff with whom we dealt had extremely poor customer service skills and, in fact, what can only be described as a bad attitide, in particular, the supposed "accommodations" manager "Amanda" who clearly was on some sort of power trip. Very unpleasant experience - the hotel staff clearly have no customer service skills. I would strongly advise anyone to think twice before they book to stay in this hotel. As a group, we are disappointed that this is the first contact which we have had with the supposed "welcoming city of culture" and sheds a very poor image of the city, which is unfortunate. A very unpleasant experience. Still awaiting a call from the "General Manger" who advised that this was a misunderstanding and would be resolved.

3  Thank Naomi S
DaVincisHotel, General Manager at Da Vinci's Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Dear NaomiS,