“Poor service due to understaffing.”

Da Vinci's Hotel Derry
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I was at a lunch in the hotel on Tuesday 24th September, which was fine, the function staff where first class.When the function room closed, we where asked to move to the main bar. This is when the service took a massive down turn. The bar was not overly busy, but on at least three occasions I had to clear our table and take the glasses to the bar. This was also the case for all of our company (over 20 people). Half of our company decided later in the evening to go to the restaurant for a meal. The service and quality of the food they received was poor. When they complained about the tartlet started the response was "we will inform the chef" nothing further was done. For the remainder of the company in the bar, I asked for some baskets of chips to be taken to our table. I was advised the restaurant was busy and it would take a while. After two hours I went to ask where the snacks where, I was told the chef said he was too busy and we would not be getting any snacks. We left very disappointed customers indeed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RovingIrishMan
DaVincisHotel, Sales & Marketing Manager at Da Vinci's Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear ‘RovingIrishMan,’
Thank you for providing your feedback. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable lunch but I am disappointed that you had an issue with our bar service. I have passed on your issues to our Food and Beverage Manager who will investigate the matter further. I am sincerely sorry that you didn't have a good experience and I hope that you will give us an opportunity to redeem your opinion of our offering. I am confident that your experience was a one off and that our team will impress you during your next visit.
Sales & Manager

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Our 5th or 6th return visit - that says it all! Excellent room and restaurant where the staff are particularly helpful. Tiny niggle: extractor in spotless ensuite failed to work but we didn't report. Also breakfast in warmers could be kept hotter for those arriving at 9.30-10.00 am. That said we eagerly await our next visit.

Room Tip: Recommend Club Rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear ‘Philoco,’
It is lovely to hear from a loyal customer and I am delighted that we continue to impress you. It is a pity that you didn’t report your extractor fan issues because it can be easily fixed, in the future please do report any problems to reception we want to ensure all our guests have a faultless experience. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Keep an eye out on our website we have some fantastic Winter Offers available.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was a perfectly comfortable room in a newish hotel with a good restaurant. The bed was great and we slept well. The two downsides for us were: 1. the location. It's about a 25-minute walk from Derry (along the river which is nice), but it means you can't just pop back and forth into town. On another trip we would stay closer into town. 2. the wifi connection was a nightmare. My husband was in Derry on business and I was managing properties back home and we struggled with their wifi service the entire time we were there.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear ‘alisontinsley48,’
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am pleased you had an enjoyable experience. It is a pity that you found our location as a negative as many guests feel the benefit of complimentary car parking available for all guests outweighs the short walk into the city centre. Secondly I am disappointed you and your husband had an issue with our complimentary Wi-Fi service. We rarely receive complaints about this service and it is a pity the problem was not reported to reception as we could have rectified any issues. We look forward to welcoming you both back to our hotel soon.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I went to Da Vinci's Spirit Bar on Saturday night but I doubt I will return again.

As a wheelchair user the venue is far from ideal as the Spirit Bar and lounge only have able bodied toilet facilities, to use the disabled toilet one has to come through the Spirit Bar, through the lounge and to the far side of reception. This is no mean feat when the bars are packed with people and there are a couple of doors to get through.

When I went to use the disabled toilet on Saturday night, I locked the door only to have some man walk in on me, the lock on the door was clearly broken. When I reported this to one of the staff in reception I got little more than a blank expression.

As is often the case in Derry it proved very difficult to get a taxi on Saturday night and the rain was teeming down. Myself and 2 friends were pretty much the last people waiting for taxis and had taken shelter outside of reception. We asked staff if we could step inside to wait but were told by a manager that we had to stay outside, I also asked if I could come inside and use the disabled toilet but again I was refused. We stood in the rain for a further 20 minutes whilst 3 or 4 members of staff stood in reception watching us. It is baffling that such people work in the hospitality sector.

I have on a number of occasions recommended da vincis to family, friends and business associates who come to the city but I will be sending them elsewhere from now on. I am fuming that any business would treat people this way and embarrassed that it has happened in my home town.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Gareth M

Dear ‘GarethM,’
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I am shocked to hear that you found our facilities for wheelchair users not satisfactory as we have never had feedback like this before. I have made your feedback known to our General Manager Andy O’Doherty and should you wish to discuss your experience further please contact him on 028 7127 9111 or andy@davincishotel.com.

In relation to your comments about our staff being unhelpful this is completely out of character as we pride ourselves on having a fantastic team who provide high levels of service to our guests. I hope you use our property in the future as I am confident your experience will be very different.

With Kindest Regards,

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Eight of us stayed for two nights while golfing and we all enjoyed the stay. We dined in the restaurant where the food was very good, the staff were friendly and attentive, and the bedrooms were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Dear ‘DumfriesCouple111111,’
Thank you so much for taking time to review your recent stay, it is very encouraging and makes all our efforts worthwhile. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our team. We look forward to welcoming your group back again soon.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

My mom and I stayed here while on Insight Vacation's Britain and Ireland Discovery 26-day tour. We stayed for just 1 night. The hotel was very nice. The room was big and comfy. The beds were comfy. Clean and quiet. We had dinner and breakfast at the hotel and both were very good and filling. We would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank medicalmama

Dear ‘medicalmama,’
Thank you for your positive review. I am delighted that you and your mother had an enjoyable stay at our hotel. I hope you had an enjoyable tour of Ireland and we look forward to welcoming you both again soon.
Natasha

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Great hotel at a great location. Good and friendly service.
Room was clean and neat. Bed was excellent. No air-conditioning.
Free wifi only available at lobby.
Breakfast and dinner were excellent at the Da Vinci restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tiger L

Dear ‘Tigerliew88,’
Thank you for your positive review. I would like to point out that all our guests can avail of complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the hotel complex not just in the lobby so it is unfortunate that you were unaware of this during your stay. We hope to welcome you back again soon.