“Some of the best Irish History I have ever experienced!!!!”

Bogside History Tours
Ranked #2 of 18 Tours in Derry
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This walking tour deals with events in Bogside area of Derry City known world wide as Bloody Sunday. The company was set up by some of the relatives that were shot on the day of Bloody Sunday. This hour long walking tour will begin in the center of Derry at the Guildhall and will retrace part of the original march. The tour will the take you into the heart of Derry's Bogside area and visit the places where Bloody Sunday occurred. The tour will pass the Museum of Free Derry and finish at the Bloody Sunday monument on Rossville Street in sight of Free Derry Corner and just below Derry's world famous walls. This walking tour will cover the Civil Right era and Bloody Sunday in great detail and also cover both inquiries into the day. This is the authentic Bloody Sunday tour that no other tour guide company can offer. Political tour of Derry with an insight from family members. Derry walls walking tour. Explore derry's four hundred years old walls with local and knowledgeable guides. Taxi tours of Derry City are also offered as well as half and full day tours of Donegal and the Antrim coast.
San Francisco, California
“Some of the best Irish History I have ever experienced!!!!”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have been on many tours as a visitor to many different countries but this tour by far was one of the best I have ever had. My tour guide was very passionate about the history of his city (Derry aka the City of Culture for 2013). There were details that I am not sure you would get from a book or from the internet and he made you feel as if you were a part of its history right then and there. Paul was the guide and you could just feel something in the air when you listened to him speak about the history of his city (it's giving me goosebumps as I write this review). Not only did it keep my attention but he would field any questions you had and was a down to earth kinda guy and would crack a joke from time to time. Some tour guides I have come across in the past were very robotic but Paul was nothing like that. Because of this tour I have started doing my own research to understand the history of the culture and people. I highly recommend this tour to anyone who visits Derry.

Visited June 2013
Paul D, Owner at Bogside History Tours, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Anthony C, Thank you for your kind review and we are glad that we were able to contribute to your trip to Ireland and also in igniting your passion for Irish history, Thank you, Paul D.

Warsaw, Poland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Toured 18/06/13”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I decided to take a walking tour with Bogside History Tours earlier today as part of my visit to the City of Culture 2013 (Derry). I had known a little about the history of this iconic city but wanted to know more.

I joined the tour group now knowing what to expect. My tour guide Paul was extremely knowledgeable and was able to answer any questions I had in great and easy to understand detail. He was very well spoken and easy to understand throughout.

The tour started on schedule as advertised on their website which I was happy about as normally with tours your kept waiting and waiting before you actually set off.

The tour was not only very well structured and contained alot of information about the city but I was also able to hear a first hard account of not only what it was like to live in Derry during the Troubles but to hear it from someone who was directly effected by it was amazing.

I would highly recommend this tour to anyone visiting Derry at any point who would like to learn more about the City from the people who lived through it and where directly effected by it.

A must do in Derry!! Just make sure it's Bogside History Tours you go with as I went on a different one yesterday and I have to say it was nothing compared to todays tour.

Thanks again Paul and I look forward to seeing you again on my next visit to Derry!

3 Thank Vikas H
Dear Vikas H, Thank you for your review of Bogside Histry Tours. We are glad that your experience on the tour was rewarding for you, it is also rewarding for the guides as well to get such good feed back, Thanks again, Paul D.
Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“First hand history”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This value for money tour will give you history from someone who has lived through it as an integral part of their childhood. This is the only opportunity I have ever had to speak and learn from someone who was on the forefront of Bloody Sunday in Derry. I was given a perspective and knowledge of the events as they unfolded on 30 January 1972 that I could not have received anywhere else. I recommend this tour to anyone with an interest in the history of "The Troubles" in Northern Ireland. There is a reason U2 wrote a song about this historical event - go on the tour and learn why!

2 Thank Leslie T
Paul D, Manager at Bogside History Tours, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
hi leslie thank you for your kind review, i,m glad you chose our tour and hope to see you again in the future and good luck