“High standard food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Browns in Town

Browns in Town
Ranked #6 of 186 Restaurants in Derry
Cuisines: Irish, European, British, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Browns group newest addition to the restaurant scene sees Ian orr opening up in the heart of the Ciy of Culture 2013.Browns in town offers contemporary fine dine food in comfortable & fashionable surroundings.Well worth a visit!
Derry, United Kingdom
“High standard food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Delighted that Ian Orr has opened a restaurant in the city centre . We love his Waterside restaurant and this new one seems to be of the same high standard.We went for a special birthday celebration so the three of us ate from the a la carte menu . My starter of quails legs and egg was amazing ( but small) . The others had mushroom linguini which was quite ordinary and not as special as mine. My main of lamb cooked different ways was also amazing but I realised after I finished that I hadn't got the lamb curry and apricot chutney promised on the menu . My daughter had sirloin steak and my husband fillet steak and they thought the flavours were wonderful. We just shared a browns selection of desserts but it was unremarkable. It was a good meal but at £95 for the 3 of us with just 2 courses each and no drinks was expensive . When we go again we will try the set dinner for £20 which looks like good value. Service is efficient . It.s great to see something different in Derry as the other restaurant all tend to have the same boring menus .

• Visited May 2013

Northern Ireland
“Upholding the original standard”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

As Cityside dwellers it's great that Browns has come over the bridge to us ! We visited with friends from London on their first time in the city who, like ourselves, have travelled extensively and appreciate a good restaurant. Derry doesn't have a lot to match their usual standards of fine dining but Browns didn't let the city or us down at all. We had the set dinner and the choice and standard was fine - well up to our experience in the original location. The location is good, the ambience too with enough space but also a sense of privacy for each table. A good wine list, friendly and well-informed staff and no hurry even though we had been advised our table was needed by 20:30 and that hour approached. We will be back.

Visited May 2013
Derry, United Kingdom
“Falls slightly short of its namesake across the river.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Got in, took them 15 minutes to seat us despite us being bang on time for our reservation. That would be fine had we been asked if we would have liked to buy a drink while we waited.

Staff are friendly, the place looks really nice inside, location is ideal which is the one thing the original place falls down on.

I went for fritto misto prawns. I don't exaggerate when I say that it was either 3 good sized prawns dissected and scattered across the plate or 6 or 7 of those really tiny ones. Either way they were too salty. Cooked perfectly though. If only they had tasted good and there had been more of them.

Fiancee had beef shin potato cake to start. It tasted really nice. One thing that irritated slightly was that it came with a smear of barbecue sauce. That in itself wasn't the issue, in fact it tasted good with the potato cake. It's that they called it 'tomato gel' on the menu. We were excited to see what tomato gel could possibly be.

Don't be flash with the words, be flash with the food. It would have been really exciting to see BBQ sauce listed on the menu and then to have gotten something I could only have described as 'some sort of strange tomato gel!'

I had steak for main. Cooked absolutely perfectly but under seasoned. Fiancee had duck breast which was faultless. Only complaint about the duck was that there wasn't more of it.

Having been to Browns over the river a few times, I was expecting the same quality given that the price hasn't come down. I do think it falls down in comparison.

Still, early days yet, its only been open a few weeks, but based on last nights meal I think I'll take a dander over the bridge and leave Browns in town to iron out the creases before I'll be back.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Luke O
Fahan, Ireland
“Beautiful food!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful food! Very nice place, very spacious!
Handy when you are in the centre!!
Delighted to see browns doing well and improving standards of food in the area!!
Didnt give it the 5 stars as the portions size could be bigger. I dont particularly enjoy them buffets/carvery food but if starters and side orders were bit bigger it would be great!otherwise i could give it top marks!
Well done!!!and keep up the high standards!!!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank n c
“Browns In Town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

All that can be said is that it was fabulous, recommended, I' m a bit biased Browns is our favourite Restaurant. Fabulous food, which given all the accolades that Ian has collected over the past couple of years, will no doubt have you booking your next visit before you leave.

Visited April 2013