“Proper pub”

Grand Central Bar
Ranked #81 of 194 Restaurants in Derry
Cuisines: Irish
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Proper city pub - good Guinness, good barman and some interesting locla characters. Nice place for a pint.

1  Thank barry89

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Popped in here with my husband on a Friday night - been years since I had been in - great atmosphere, great Guinness and there is so much histroy surrounding this pub - I think it is almost 100 years old and has so much old world charm.. c

1  Thank bptravellover
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Apparently this bar is 90 years old, and is now a listed building. You'll find it on the corner of Strand Road and Great James Street. I've noticed it a few times when I was in Derry, but it was closed, so when I was passing the other day, I decided to call in for a pint [all the traveling 'round makes one very thirsty]. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised to find a beautiful old style bar through the doors. It's not big, but what it lacks in square meters, it more than makes up for in comfort and surroundings.

It's a two storey bar, with food served upstairs. One of the punters told me that they do a mean pizza, and the burgers aren't half bad either. However, I was more interested in the beer, and at Derry prices, it went down very well indeed. It's a friendly bar, and I even met a fella there who was born about half a mile away from me, whom I had a great chat with. We both used to drink in the same bar, but never met before, small world. Anyhow, he told me that the Grand Central would be one of his favorites in the City.

One of the problems of been a visitor, is that your on a schedule, and you have buses and trains to catch, so with a little tear in me eye, I had to say "see ya" to me new mate, and head off to catch the bus. But, now I know that this is a gem, I'll be getting in earlier the next time, and none of this rushing off to catch busses!!

2  Thank letterkennycaint
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This is a nice little bar that is at the bottom of the street where my hostel was. I actually found it myself during the day. It has a nice relaxed atmosphere and was a perfect place for me to sit trying to read my flann o'brien. Dont expect to get too much reading done though, as Derry people are very friendly and you wont end up sitting alone for very long reading a book without someone asking where you are from. This is a really good local bar right in the city centre. Our pub crawl went there one night and it was certainly alot livelier at night. It is a good place to go at either time. Ps.. the food was very good too.

1  Thank murraymints_13
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stopped in at 6:30 pm, hoping to have some pizza's and beer. Unfortunately they stop serving food at 5 pm. I don't know if this applies only on Monday's, or is the norm 7 days a week. We went to a bar/restaurant a half block away and the food there was uninspiring.

We returned to Grand Central Bar for a pint, and enjoyed our time there.

1  Thank Traveler714