“Awful! Really to avoid!” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Travelodge Derry
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Derry
Marseille
“Awful! Really to avoid!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2009

Our stay in this hotel was terrible!
Our room was in a disastrous state: unpleasant odor, curtains blackened by dirtiness and torn, lamp-shade broken and during with the top of the bed, tried fitted carpet, yellowed walls, remote control of TV broken. One could see hair and hairs on the duvet of the bed. The top of the cupboard was a true discharge: corpse of bottle, packing of condom, sachets plastic, dust… (cf Photo = obvious proof that the household is more than surface)
The housework had been done superficially in the bathroom: hair and hairs in the bath (we did not dare to use it!), suspect traces on the tiling of the wall beside the toilets, defective flush.
We requested from the reception another room and when we visited it, it was in a worse state than the first! It was in the same state at the level of the household, darker and glaucous with a window giving on the dustbins and the column of very noisy ventilation of the hotel and with TV which did not go at all. We thus indicated to the reception that this room was not appropriate. The personnel then proved very antipathetic and did not make effort to propose a decent room to us. We had to satisfy us with the first.
As for the breakfast, for an announced price of 6 £, it appears very indecent: we asked for hot milk and the same person that the day before with the reception indicated to us that it was not possible. The toasts were not roasted and not placed at the disposal in a plastic sachet in a basket. The vacuum been useful crescents are industrial and inedible!

We remained in two other Travelodge hotels in Dublin and Belfast, which them, were much more accessible, comfortable, pleasant and had strictly nothing to see with this poor hotel in Derry.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank audreyremi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Round And About
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2009

As the price of a hotel in belfast was dear i tried the travelodge in Derry - this was for an overnight stay. previous reviews had suggested that this wasn't the best place to stay. I arrived and checked in without little fuss. The room, situated at towards the rear of the building took some finding - better signage may be required. However the bed was clean, and comfortable to sleep on; the room tidy and suffered from little outside noise. I didn't partake of a meal in the hotel - usual sort of Travelodge style - as i was out for most of the evening.
Although my stay was brief i enjoyed it and would certainly go again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
LisaWalsh, Travelodge Group Revenue Manager at Travelodge Derry, responded to this review, August 12, 2009
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write your positive review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay.
I’ve sent your comment regarding the signage to the general manager – this is something we will strive to improve as we move forward.

We hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards,
Kent
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2009

This is the worst hotel I have stayed in the last 15 years. Athough I didn't expect much from a travelodge I did expect a clean room and hot water, Sadly neither were provided. After refusing the first room due to the pungent smell of smoke and the unclean carpet we were provided with a second room. Although this smelt better the sight of used bed sheets left at the room entrance did little to inspire confidence. The room was shabby to the extream and in desperate need of a full refurbishment.
The bin had not been cleaned from the previous tennant and there was pubic hair left in the bath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The carpet hadn't been hovered and there was no hot water in the morning. Needless to say I did not stay a second night and checked out.
Do not stay here if you expect a clean room for your money.
Disgusting hotel and service and I for one will will never stay in a travelodge again.
PS the hotel has a JD WEATHERSPOON beneath it and a Nightclub opposite. If you want to sleep at night dont stay here.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
LisaWalsh, Travelodge Group Revenue Manager at Travelodge Derry, responded to this review, July 23, 2009
Hi there,

Thank you for writing your review about Travelodge Derry.

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused to you and for your disappointing stay.
After reading your comments I can only assume your room was not fully cleaned and this was an error on the housekeeping’s part. I have not got your full details on the date you stayed with us so I’m unsure of the room number. Would it be possible for you to contact me directly at the hotel to discuss these issues further? At this time I can offer you no excuse just an apology.

I do look forward to speaking with you.

Lisa

Travelers are raving about these Derry hotels

leeds
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2009

We booked this hotel from Leeds, the pictures on the web made it look clean and modern, in reality it was far from that. The hotel rooms were old and tired in appearance with a number of outstanding maintenance issues. Between myself and a colleague we had two rooms booked, one was not fit to stay in due to the putrid smell and filth, the second was filthy with curtains and light fixtures hanging from their fixings.

This was supposed ot be a budget bed for the night with no frills, even so this Travelodge fell well below this standard and we left as soon as we found an alternative hotel with availability.

What may be worse is that having checked us in 30 mins earlier, the desk staff did not question why we were almost running from the place and handing in our keys so quickly. It was as if it had been expected.

And at £50 a night, you definately did not get what you paid for!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Hi there,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review about our hotel.

Your comments have been sent to the director and we have showed your review to the staff & general manager at the hotel.
I can only tell you how saddened they are.

I would really like to discuss these issues & get a little more information from you. Would it be possible for you to contact me directly at the hotel? We can look at ways of satisfying your concerns & compensating you for your bad experience. On behalf of all the staff at Derry Travelodge we do apoligise for any inconvenience caused to you & your colleague.

belfast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2009

The hotel looked nicer than other travelodges i have stayed in from the entrance and the reception area....... But once got out of lift it was DISGUSTING!!! The corridors smellled of urine and vomit and there was a constant smell of smoke in the corridors.
The room was disgraceful there were sectarian slogans etched into the wall, which was our first view anf to be honest if you cant remove that when cleaning a room then what else could we expect??? There were no cups in the room and the inside of the kettle was living with mould.... There was no soap in the bathroom and tv did not work. The place was disgusting... we paid nearly 100 for the room and yet i have stayed in other travelodges in similar city centre locations for a lot less. Just wont forget the smell of the place such a shame as it really looks nice when you walk up the stairs in.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank belshaft
LisaWalsh, Travelodge Group Revenue Manager at Travelodge Derry, responded to this review, June 16, 2009
Hi there,

Can I just say how saddened I was to read your comments! I can offer you no excuses for your bad experience at our hotel.
I would really like you to contact me directly at the hotel to discuss these issues and look at ways of satisfying your concerns.

England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

I stayed in a family room at the Derry Travelodge for two nights, a Friday and a Saturday.
Parking the car was a bit of a pain as the website recommends you use the Quayside carpark which adjoins the hotel, and advises you that there is a special rate for travelodge customers parking on the third floor. However when you go to check in, you are advised to move it to the unsecure Waterfront carpark a minutes walk away which does not charge for overnight parking (unlike the Quayside) and is also far cheaper during the day. Nor does it have set opening and closing times (unlike the Quayside), so you can still move your car 24/7 if you need to. Good advice and it saved us quite a bit of money but this would have been useful to know prior to arrival and not once we had already parked in the Quayside. Doh.

This was the first family room at a Travelodge I have been in which had a double bed and a single bed (as opposed to a little sofa bed) and the room was enormous, so whilst the bathroom was old and a bit grotty we were not unhappy with the accommodation. However, there were only two sets of towels and we had booked for three adults, so had to go down to reception to get another set.

The location of the hotel is 5 minutes walk from the centre but surrounded by bars and restaurants - and actually sits above an enormous Lloyds pub which from 6pm was busy on both nights and the outside pavement full of smokers. We were on the third floor of the hotel at the back so did not get any noise from the pub/its clientele but I would advise anyone thinking of staying here to request a quiet room on checking in.

We went to bed at midnight with no background noise at all but were woken at 3am by a very loud, drunken man banging on the door opposite and demanding to be let in for several minutes before the door was opened. Then from 4.45am, the fire alarm went off 6 times over the course of the next hour and a half. When we got up, all cross and tired, at 8.30am and went to use the shower, there was no hot water at all. Not a drop. The queue of people complaining about the fire alarm and the lack of water was quite something. We went out of the hotel to have breakfast (very limited and expensive offering there) and thankfully by the time we returned at 10am the water was back on - brown, but hot!

On the Saturday night we had no problems at all so perhaps we were just unlucky with the alarm and the water but this really did put us off. I would stay here again if I were with friends on a budget but if I really wanted to be guaranteed a good nights' sleep, I would look elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hi there,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We can never improve unless we get feedback from our customers.

I will pass the car parking information onto the web developer – sorry for any inconvenience, we will get this changed.

I can tell you I was not aware of our fire alarm going off during the night. I spoke with the GM about this and she has advised me they had some problems with the smoke detectors in one section of the rooms. This caused the alarm to go off they way it did and they had to call the alarm company out to get this under control.
In relation to the hot water – not only did the water go in our hotel but it went on the whole street for one hour. There was major road works going on and it affected all local businesses in the area. I can assure you this is not a typical Friday night in our hotel.

Hopefully we will see you again soon and your experience will be a lot more enjoyable.

Northern Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2009

NEVER AGAIN! Went to see a comedy show and stayed at the travel lodge. Chairs are old, bath cracked and dirty. Windowsill had sick and some chinese noodles on it, windows dirty, smelly and fire escape not clearly visable.

Whats worse is the staff didnt care! We were told it was £12 for overnight parking, then were charged £15 the next morning...

dont get me started on the food...lets say we stayed out as long as we could before heading back!

yuck! So dissappionted!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
LisaWalsh, Travelodge Group Revenue Manager at Travelodge Derry, responded to this review, April 28, 2009
Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review about our hotel. We can never improve unless we get feedback from our customers.

On behalf of the staff at the hotel, I can offer you no excuses for un-cleanliness. I’ve sent your comments onto the hotels general manager to take action immediately.

If you wish to contact me directly at the hotel regarding your issues, I would be more than happy to discuss further.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.