“Good clean budget hotel, great location”
Review of Travelodge Derry

Travelodge Derry
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Devon
“Good clean budget hotel, great location”
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Was stopping in Derry for one night as had business to look after up that way,,, this hotel suited my needs and after a good nights sleep I had a great hot shower took breakfast (continental ) which was spot on and back on the road. £49 how could you beat that,,

• Stayed September 2013
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Derry, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear Cityhopper1234,

Many thanks for taking time to review our hotel. I am delighted to hear that you had a great stay with us. I hope that we will be seeing you again on your next visit to Derry.

Kindest Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My brother and I were in Derry for a Saturday night and booked a twin room to share, breakfast wasn't included in the deal.

It took an age to check in (three lads ahead of us) and I listened to the young girl in reception advise the group to park in the multi-storey outside - bad advise - it only cost a couple of pound to park in the strand road car park and after 6pm it was free until the Monday morning.

The room was a good enough size, the beds were ok, we were facing the street so there was a bit of noise at most times - fair enough for a city centre I suppose. The bathroom while small did the job.

No iron in the room - I had to ask for one and lug it and the ironing board upstairs to the room, very tight corridors.

Overall this is a very basic facility, definitely more hostel than hotel. We paid £60 for the room for the night, relatively cheap, but I've paid half that for better hostels in the past.

Would I stay here again? No.
Would I recommend you do? Err ...budget travellers only.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Receptionist at Travelodge Derry, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Rokan72

Thank you for your review, we are disappointed we were unable to meet your expectations during your recent stay. We do however appreciate your comments and have passed this onto the management team for further discussion. We hope that you would choose us again on your next visit to Derry and we could show you a different side to our hotel.

Kindest Regards

Travelers are raving about these Derry hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I don't know how Travelodge can put their name to this hotel as it is a dump. First impression is not good with the entry lift having letters missing from the signs. Then there are the well-worn corridors, room door missing paint to a cracked basin where the cracks were black. The only toiletry provided for 2 people was one small bar of soap and there was no bathmat. When you sit up in bed your head hits the bed lamp - poor design. There was no one on reception – a person appeared from a back room when the bell was rung. There is no car parking at this hotel so this, wifi and breakfast are additional charges

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Manager at Travelodge Derry, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Lird5,

Further to your review for the Travelodge Hotel, I appreciate your feedback and comments.

I am sorry your stay was not as pleasant as it should have been. We are currently in the process of updating and renovating our hotel to modernize it and refurbish the rooms.

With regard to your comments about the lack of toiletries, the reason we do not supply these items is so we can keep our rates the lowest in the city and provide a budget accomodation at the best price for our guests. There is car parking available across the street from the hotel at a rate of £5.00 for 24 hours. We also provide free wifi in the reception area.

I hope that you would choose to stay with us if you are ever in Derry again and we could show you a better side to our hotel.

Kindest regards.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed for one night at the Travelodge in Derry while on business. I turned up at noon to see if I could leave my case and I was actually able to check in early, which was a nice surprise as it isn't normally until 2/3pm. The reception staff were very helpful throughout my stay, happy to answer any questions I had.
My room was on the third floor and it was huge, one double bed and a single bed with lots of floor space.
What I would say about this Travelodge is that it is not as modern as some of the others I have stayed in. The furniture was a bit dated, but there was a lot of drawer space if you were staying there for a few more nights which is good.
The bathroom was like others had described, old with a cracked sink and a really stiff dial on the shower to turn it on, however, as the manager has pointed out on other reviews, the bathrooms are in the process of being updated, and even though the sink didn't look great, it was all clean, the towels were decent and so I couldn't complain.
The bedding was absolutely fine and I had a decent nights sleep. There are plenty of restaurants around the hotel and there is food available in the hotel too so you shouldn't find yourself too stuck.
It's about five minutes walk to the bus station and a £4 taxi ride from the train station.
Overall, a perfectly adequate hotel, for £43 a night, it's basic but meets all your basic needs and I would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Team Member at Travelodge Derry, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Good Morning Miss Perfectly Adequate,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent business trip to Derry.
Were happy to hear you feel that the hotel was clean and comfortable and you felt we have a helpful team here. It always nice to hear positive feedback, We will pass your comments onto our Head office in relation to the refurbishment Needs, But as you noticed we are currently working on this within the hotel.

We hope to welcome you again soon to Travelodge Derry Soon !

Travelodge Team.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Hubby and I checked in on Sunday 13th October, first thing we noticed where how filthy the steps were up to reception. Hubby actually said, I have a bad feeling about this hotel. Steps are very steep, but thankfully there is a lift up to reception if needed.

Anyway check in was nice and simple with no problems and pleasant girl on reception. She was very helpful with directions for food and drinks locally to the hotel. We were also told we were being put in one of the bigger rooms and would be at the back of hotel so it wouldn't be noisy.

Corridors had a delay on the lights coming on, seemed to be half way down the hall in pitch black before lights came on.

There was Pringles lying outside one of the rooms in corridor on Sunday evening and these were not cleaned until Tuesday morning.

On entering our room we were surprised at how decent it was after reading other reviews. It was clean, spacious and bed linen was Snow White. The room was cold, but we put radiators on and was warmed up in no time at all. Furniture was bit dated, windows old and curtains old. But not too bad on the whole. Big wardrobe for clothes but we only got around 6 hangers, though this is all we needed for our short visit. Tv had selection of channels and room had kettle and mugs with tea, coffee, milk and sugar.

Bathroom was a different story, was extremely dated with cracked sink and bath, very grubby looking, but was actually clean. DEFINATELY in need of modernisation. Tiles on floor very old, radiator had been painted and paint had crackled and also were radiator had been attached to wall was thick with dust. Old shower curtain institue and shower head couldn't be adjusted for height. Though water was scalding on Monday and Luke warm on Tuesday am.

There was a constant humming from our room which kept me awake, but earplugs soon sorted that out. No noise heard from Main Street.

Bed lamps badly positioned and hit heads a few times.

we paid £39 per room, per night, for myself and hubby to stay overnight, so we really didn't expect much for that price. The hotels location is excellent. Witherspoons next door, lovely restaurant facing the entrance, 10 minute stroll to derrys walls, 10 minutes to guild hall and peace bridge. (May have been less than 10 minutes) also walking distance to nightclubs. Can recommend the bus tour, it's excellent and worth the money.

Overall the hotel is in need of some tlc but it served a purpose for us. Overall our room was clean and decent, just the bathroom let it down, but it didn't spoil our stay. Staff were friendly and helpful and would stay again if away with the girls of for hen weekend etc. If you are going for a night or too, couples, cheap weekend, hens or stags etc then this is the place. If you are wanting a bit of luxury then pay a big more money and stay in city hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Derry, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear weemocky,

Many thanks for your recent review for Travelodge Derry. We are pleased that you had great time here in Derry. I will pass your lovely comments on to staff that was on duty last Sunday.

Armagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed Saturday 12th October and when arrived (13 of us on stag night) and the checkin was effortless due to efficient female receptionist who was excellent in getting our rooms sorted so promptly. My room was on the second floor and no noise from outside streets could be heard (however a strange humming noise heard but to be honest not so bad that I couldnt blank out). The room is dated in that the chair had holes in it, the shower head is fixed so if tall like me you have to bend a bit to use, the bath had some hairs in it - switch on shower and there gone though. The bathroom did let the room down because it needs freshened up and modernised, rarely in room so didnt mind the dated facilities. However I must say the bedroom was spotless and bed linen was fresh and clean (as was towels). The wardrobe is well stacked with hangers and clean, the double bed very comfortable and tv has usual amount of channels. The same receptionist allowed to store bags in a room in reception for a few hours on Sunday afternoon. Breakfast next door in Ice Wharf is good value so advise to visit there. The hotel needs some care and attention but would have no problem in using again if in Derry as its location is excellent to Guildhall.

Room Tip: Second floor and at rear of the hotel is quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Derry, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Rory C

Many thanks for your recent review for Travelodge Derry. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we will look forward to welcoming you again. I will pass your lovely comments on to staff that was on duty on Saturday and Sunday. In relation to you comment about the bathrooms, are rooms are undergoing a refurbishment process to freshen up and modernised the look of both bedrooms and bathrooms, on your next visit to Derry we hope to be able to show you a different side to our hotel.

Nenagh
Reviewed October 14, 2013

While the hotel facilities are basic the room was clean and very spacious, the beds very comfortable and I had requested a room in a quieter part of the hotel and my request was granted. On arrival Leanne in reception could not have been more helpful to the point of even directing me to carpark accross the street which worked out really well. As travelodge hotels go Travelodge Derry in Northern Ireland was more than adequate for my stay and I will be returning.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Receptionist at Travelodge Derry, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Good Evening Brigidmnenagh,

We really appreciate you taking time to post such a positive review. Its always good to heard great reviews. We can only hope if you choose to visit Derry again you will choose to stay with Travelodge !!

Looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Travelodge Derry.