“Perfectly adequate”
Review of Travelodge Derry

Travelodge Derry
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed for one night at the Travelodge in Derry while on business. I turned up at noon to see if I could leave my case and I was actually able to check in early, which was a nice surprise as it isn't normally until 2/3pm. The reception staff were very helpful throughout my stay, happy to answer any questions I had.
My room was on the third floor and it was huge, one double bed and a single bed with lots of floor space.
What I would say about this Travelodge is that it is not as modern as some of the others I have stayed in. The furniture was a bit dated, but there was a lot of drawer space if you were staying there for a few more nights which is good.
The bathroom was like others had described, old with a cracked sink and a really stiff dial on the shower to turn it on, however, as the manager has pointed out on other reviews, the bathrooms are in the process of being updated, and even though the sink didn't look great, it was all clean, the towels were decent and so I couldn't complain.
The bedding was absolutely fine and I had a decent nights sleep. There are plenty of restaurants around the hotel and there is food available in the hotel too so you shouldn't find yourself too stuck.
It's about five minutes walk to the bus station and a £4 taxi ride from the train station.
Overall, a perfectly adequate hotel, for £43 a night, it's basic but meets all your basic needs and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Team Member at Travelodge Derry, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2013

Good Morning Miss Perfectly Adequate,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent business trip to Derry.
Were happy to hear you feel that the hotel was clean and comfortable and you felt we have a helpful team here. It always nice to hear positive feedback, We will pass your comments onto our Head office in relation to the refurbishment Needs, But as you noticed we are currently working on this within the hotel.

We hope to welcome you again soon to Travelodge Derry Soon !

Travelodge Team.

There are newer reviews for Travelodge Derry

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Hubby and I checked in on Sunday 13th October, first thing we noticed where how filthy the steps were up to reception. Hubby actually said, I have a bad feeling about this hotel. Steps are very steep, but thankfully there is a lift up to reception if needed.

Anyway check in was nice and simple with no problems and pleasant girl on reception. She was very helpful with directions for food and drinks locally to the hotel. We were also told we were being put in one of the bigger rooms and would be at the back of hotel so it wouldn't be noisy.

Corridors had a delay on the lights coming on, seemed to be half way down the hall in pitch black before lights came on.

There was Pringles lying outside one of the rooms in corridor on Sunday evening and these were not cleaned until Tuesday morning.

On entering our room we were surprised at how decent it was after reading other reviews. It was clean, spacious and bed linen was Snow White. The room was cold, but we put radiators on and was warmed up in no time at all. Furniture was bit dated, windows old and curtains old. But not too bad on the whole. Big wardrobe for clothes but we only got around 6 hangers, though this is all we needed for our short visit. Tv had selection of channels and room had kettle and mugs with tea, coffee, milk and sugar.

Bathroom was a different story, was extremely dated with cracked sink and bath, very grubby looking, but was actually clean. DEFINATELY in need of modernisation. Tiles on floor very old, radiator had been painted and paint had crackled and also were radiator had been attached to wall was thick with dust. Old shower curtain institue and shower head couldn't be adjusted for height. Though water was scalding on Monday and Luke warm on Tuesday am.

There was a constant humming from our room which kept me awake, but earplugs soon sorted that out. No noise heard from Main Street.

Bed lamps badly positioned and hit heads a few times.

we paid £39 per room, per night, for myself and hubby to stay overnight, so we really didn't expect much for that price. The hotels location is excellent. Witherspoons next door, lovely restaurant facing the entrance, 10 minute stroll to derrys walls, 10 minutes to guild hall and peace bridge. (May have been less than 10 minutes) also walking distance to nightclubs. Can recommend the bus tour, it's excellent and worth the money.

Overall the hotel is in need of some tlc but it served a purpose for us. Overall our room was clean and decent, just the bathroom let it down, but it didn't spoil our stay. Staff were friendly and helpful and would stay again if away with the girls of for hen weekend etc. If you are going for a night or too, couples, cheap weekend, hens or stags etc then this is the place. If you are wanting a bit of luxury then pay a big more money and stay in city hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Derry, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear weemocky,

Many thanks for your recent review for Travelodge Derry. We are pleased that you had great time here in Derry. I will pass your lovely comments on to staff that was on duty last Sunday.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Stayed Saturday 12th October and when arrived (13 of us on stag night) and the checkin was effortless due to efficient female receptionist who was excellent in getting our rooms sorted so promptly. My room was on the second floor and no noise from outside streets could be heard (however a strange humming noise heard but to be honest not so bad that I couldnt blank out). The room is dated in that the chair had holes in it, the shower head is fixed so if tall like me you have to bend a bit to use, the bath had some hairs in it - switch on shower and there gone though. The bathroom did let the room down because it needs freshened up and modernised, rarely in room so didnt mind the dated facilities. However I must say the bedroom was spotless and bed linen was fresh and clean (as was towels). The wardrobe is well stacked with hangers and clean, the double bed very comfortable and tv has usual amount of channels. The same receptionist allowed to store bags in a room in reception for a few hours on Sunday afternoon. Breakfast next door in Ice Wharf is good value so advise to visit there. The hotel needs some care and attention but would have no problem in using again if in Derry as its location is excellent to Guildhall.

Room Tip: Second floor and at rear of the hotel is quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Derry, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Rory C

Many thanks for your recent review for Travelodge Derry. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we will look forward to welcoming you again. I will pass your lovely comments on to staff that was on duty on Saturday and Sunday. In relation to you comment about the bathrooms, are rooms are undergoing a refurbishment process to freshen up and modernised the look of both bedrooms and bathrooms, on your next visit to Derry we hope to be able to show you a different side to our hotel.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

While the hotel facilities are basic the room was clean and very spacious, the beds very comfortable and I had requested a room in a quieter part of the hotel and my request was granted. On arrival Leanne in reception could not have been more helpful to the point of even directing me to carpark accross the street which worked out really well. As travelodge hotels go Travelodge Derry in Northern Ireland was more than adequate for my stay and I will be returning.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Receptionist at Travelodge Derry, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Good Evening Brigidmnenagh,

We really appreciate you taking time to post such a positive review. Its always good to heard great reviews. We can only hope if you choose to visit Derry again you will choose to stay with Travelodge !!

Looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Travelodge Derry.

Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a few hours to sleep. Our b&b was evacuated due to a bomb scare which apparently turned out to be a hoax. This hotel was very clean and beds comfortable. Would stay here again!
Several restaurants and shopping within a few short blocks.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Reception at Travelodge Derry, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Dear Nickamc80,

Thank you so much for taking time to forward us such great feedback following you recent and unexpected stay with us, I will ensure your comments are fed back to our team here in Travelodge Derry.

Kindest Regards,

Travelodge Derry.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

The hotel does have a great location but I would only ever stay here again if it was for a night out and you just needed somewhere to drop your head. This place is not for relaxation.I found that the hotel lacked attention to detail on many things, the lights in the hallways were automatic but you were through the doors into the next hallway before they came on, so I was always in darkness walking around. The curtains in my room were half on and filthy, I got an awful nights sleep here due to the noise outside the hotel that went on all through the night, which I know is not the hotels fault but I didn't pay money to be kept awake all night. The double bed in my room would not have fit 2 people it was more like a large single bed. The light in my bathroom also did now work.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Manager at Travelodge Derry, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Dear CannonL,

Thank you for your review and please accept my apologies for the issues you experienced.

I am sorry your stay wasn't as it should have been and am dissapointed to hear you had problems with your room. If you had let us know we would have certainly arranged a room move for you and provided you with one of a higher quality to the rear of the hotel so it would be quiter for you. As I am sure you understand, our prime central location in the city means we have little control over street noise, unfortunately.

Should you wish to return to the city I would be delighted to show you a different side to our hotel.

Kind regards,

Management

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Great location, slightly noisy at night as on the main street but this is bearable. Had a lovely stay. So convenient to everywhere. Breakfast wasnt included in the price of the room but we just popped next door to the Ice Wharf. Service was great, staff where lovely

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
TRAVELODGEMANAGEMENT, Receptionist at Travelodge Derry, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Good afternoon,

Thank you so much for taking time to forward feedback after your recent visit.

We greatly appreciate your positive feedback and will pass all your comments onto our team here in Travelodge Derry.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.