“Location speaks volumes”

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Derry
Northern ireland
“Location speaks volumes”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Stayed at the Tower Hotel for the first time because of its central location. Nice hotel , good bar meals. Rooms could do with a bit of TLC. A hearty breakfast although we say for an age with no one taking tea/coffee order despite only 4 other tables occupied . Eventually we flagged down the maitre de type person . Otherwise service at reception and the bar was pretty much faultless

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotelmanager2013, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear NiTraveller65

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Tower Hotel, you will be delighted to know that we are currently undergoing refurbishments we have recently finished our lobby and bar and the bedrooms are next. We aplogise that there was a wait for tea / coffee and we have addressed this issue within the hotel, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are delighted you found all other service to be faultless. We do hope that you will return and maybe the rooms will be completed on your next visit.

Angela Fitzpatrick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed here for one night with my wife whilst on a fleeting business trip. The Hotel and room were very clean. My wife loved the towels on the bed that had been folded in such a way to form a swan. The bathroom and room amenities (tea,coffee, chocolate) were more than adequate for anyones needs. The breakfast buffet was phenominal and set for a king ( and a foody like myself).
Being I believe the only hotel positioned within the city walls put us in the ideal position for all the shops and a early morning stroll through the Bogside (murals) and around the walls. Although this was a business trip, my wife has requested a return trip to the same hotel so that we can explore a tadd further. All in all, we were suitably impressed and had a lovely experience of the Hotel, the hotel staff, the people of Derry and Derry as a whole,

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tannavoll

Thank you for such a lovely review we are delighted yourself and your wife had a lovely time and liked the small touches in your room. We are so happy you enjoyed our breakfast, we are indeed the only hotel in the city walls and we are really pleased that you and your wife will plan to come back and visit us again we look forward to welcoming you both back.

Cork
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This hotel appeared to be the only hotel within the city walls. Hence an excellent location - just off the Diamond, also very convenient to walk the walls. There is limited parking.
The breakfast was very busy and impersonal - all mass produced. Adequate but nothing to write home about !!
We had a drink in the bar but I must admit I thought it lacked a bit of atmosphere. We had our evening meal in Fitzroy's - go out the front door of the hotel, turn left, walk across "The Diamond," and head down towards Dunnes Stores. It was a busy venue and we got a nice meal.
I would definitely recommend the Martin Mc Crossan Walking Tour, We found the people of Derry very friendly and welcoming

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ariii

Thank you firstly for choosing to stay with us at the Tower Hotel, we are indeed the only hotel located within the City Walls, we are sorry that you found breakfast to be busy as sometimes we have full occupancy and you can find sometimes guests will all come at one time and we try to manage this as best we can. We do have live entertainment at weekends in our Lyric Bar which is complimentary for all guests we hope maybe if you return you can enjoy this. It is great you enjoyed your walking tour and we really hope you will visit us again

L-Imgarr, null, Malta
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Excellent welcome, great food and service. The glazed duck with honey was superb! Also, the prices are worth it when considering it is sitauted in the heart of the city. It has a spetacular view of the popular derry walls and is very close to several tourist attractions like the famous murals

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Bernice V
Hotelmanager2013, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Bernice V

Thank you so much for such a lovely review of your stay with us, it is great you enjoyed your meal and our location and prices were great. We hope that you will come back and visit and we are delighted you had such a great time.

northern ireland
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Overall had a lovely stay at this hotel. Rooms very spacious. We were overlooking the road and on a Saturday nite I thought it would be noisy but it wasnt bad at all. Excellent breakfast. Had a issue with the hairdryer and the welcome brochue not being there but the girls on reception were brilliant and very helpful. Had a few drinks in their lovely bar as well. Excellent location will be back to visit them again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Magot

Thank you for choosing the Tower Hotel and for such a lovely review. It is great that our reception team was helpful during your stay. It is great you will be back to visit, we look forward to welcoming you back.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed here for two nights whilst attending an event at "The Venue" just over the river. Handy central location near the walls, restaurants and bars, but the decor in the room was a bit tired, though I understand they are being refurbed soon. Decent breakfast.

As a light sleeper, I noticed that my room was facing the road, so I asked the receptionist if it was OK to swap with my colleague, whose room was at the rear (and could sleep through a war). She agreed and this is what I did. As soon as I entered the room, there was the sound of what I thought was a small motorbike coming from outside. It turned out to be the extractor fan from the kitchen. I checked my colleagues room and, as expected, due to its proximity to the road, it was noisy, so I asked at reception if it was possible to move rooms, but I was informed this wasn't possible as they were full, however I was assured that the fan would be switched off at 9PM. When I returned to the hotel at 11:30PM it was still running, so I called reception and they informed me that I had been given incorrect information - the fan ran all night. Result - very little sleep in a very hot room that I couldn't cool down by opening the window as that made the noise even worse.

The next night I asked to move rooms, but was informed the only room available was two floors below mine and therefore nearer to the source of the noise. I was informed again that the fan would be turned off at 9PM. Despite me querying this due to the previous night's events, I was assured this would happen. When I returned to the hotel at 11PM, you guessed it, the fan was still running. Result - another hot and sleepless night.

I didn't appreciate being lied to by the staff, and it's unlikely I'll be going back.

Room Tip: Bring some ear plugs!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Gary B
Hotelmanager2013, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Gary B

Thank you firstly for choosing to stay with us at the Tower Hotel, we apologise that the noise of the fan had affected your stay and I have contactedy you and hope to hear from you soon. My direct email is afitzpatrick@thd.ie should you wish to contact me.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Only stayed one night and it was okay. We managed to get the last parking spot which was great. While we were there, the lobby wifi went down. The front desk provided me free access for 24 hrs, but when my travel companion asked, they told her no and that she had to pay for it or be patient until the free wifi came back up. The next morning, one of the card readers in the elevator broke. The room while spacious and clean was quite warm. Overall, it was just okay for me.

• Stayed September 2013
Hotelmanager2013, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
IrishTravelingGirl

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Tower Hotel, we did experience a WIFI problem whilst you were here at the hotel and this was rectified shortly after we hope that your companion was able to then avail of this complimentary WIFI in our lobby. We issued you with a complimentary WIFI pass which the hotel covers the cost with an external company as this was a gesture as it seemed WIFI was an important aspect for you during your stay and we didnt want you to be inconvienced. The elevator reader did as you mentioned break but this was fixed when the Elevator Maintenance Team arrived at the hotel the same day. We are happy you found our rooms to be spacious and clean. We do hope that you would come back and visit in the future as the aspects of WIFI and Elavator were out of the hotels control but were addressed and fixed as soon as possible.