“Cheap midweek stay with Supervalu vouchers”

Maldron Hotel Derry
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Derry
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Travelled up by car on Monday 26th Nov, the small carpark had a few cars parked but there is only one Disabled space. At the reception I requested a room that looked out over the river and a room that would be quiet at night as I am a light sleeper. The young lady on the desk noticed my walking stick and suggested a room close to the lift as there were no rooms available at the back of the hotel. We were given a large room over looking the street. In the room the 2 seater settee and coffee table faced the door which meant you had your back to the flat screen TV. It was'nt possible to turn the settee round. The wardrobe had only 4 hangers and only 4 tiny drawers in the room. The towels were changed daily. We had booked one evening meal as part of the deal and decided to eat in the hotel the first night. My wife ordered the minute steak and I ordered the pork belly. The waitress then told us that potatoes and vegatables were £1.95/ portion each, so be warned! The steak was ok the pork belly was tough and the crackling would not crack it was like an ice hockey puck. All in all the enening meal was rubbish. As the room overlooked the street we were awake shortly after 6 am, the road noise was horrendus.
The breakfast was as good as I've had it was fabulous. The next night there was a party for 150 people so the people who smoked congregated at the front door until 2am. I complaned but it was a waste of time. Because of the location I would stay again but on a bed and breakfast basis and no I would not reccommend this hotel

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
MaldronHotelDerry, Manager at Maldron Hotel Derry, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2017

Dear Valued Guest,
I appreciate you taking the time to post your review.
On behalf of the entire team , I would like to sincerely apologise that you found us lacking on this occasion , I can assure you it was not our intention to disappoint .
Since you last stayed , We have now re branded to Maldron Hotel and undergone a refurbishment .
We do hope you will consider giving us an opportunity to restore your faith in us ,

Reviewed November 19, 2012

stopped at the visitors center in Derry and they recommended this hotel. As we had a car, available parking was important. The hotel was very nice, the lobby was impressive as was the dining room where we had breakfast the next morning. The location is central to everything and our room had a lovely view of the Peace Bridge. The only problem we had was the AmEx got declined at the front desk. They do take it, but the girl who signed us in put the numbers in wrong. The security numbers are on the front of the card, not the back like most cards. We did not use the fitness room. This was a very nice hotel and the staff were very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rocketdog

Thank you for your fantastic review on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted that you fully enjoyed your stay . Our entire team pride themselves on their customer service and I am delighted that you experienced this first hand.
Since your last stay , we have had a refurbishment and we are now re branded to the Maldron Hotel.

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Although there were some minor problems, we enjoyed our stay.

The hotel has credit card style keys which you also use in the lifts. We had to have ours reprogrammed at least 3 times over the weekend.

Another hotel with an excellent buffet breakfast - I love Irish sausages! There was plenty of choice for meat eaters and vegetarians too. I particularly liked the fresh fruit & yoghurt selection.

there's only space for 20 cars in the car park but there are on street and paying options close by.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't look onto Buvcher Street
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank auntiemags

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed here before and this hotel has improved so much . The staff were always friendly . The food is four star and the flavours Devine breakfast is amazing well done .the hotel is in the centre of the city with shops and pubs near by Great location and great value for money .

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Elsa798

Dear Valued Guest ,
Thank you for your fantastic review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted that you fully enjoyed your stay .
Since you last stayed with us , we have undergone a bedroom refurbishment and we have re branded to Maldron Hotel.

We do hope we can welcome you back again soon,

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed for 1 night in the Tower Hotel on 30th Oct 2012. We picked the Tower as it was within the walls of Derry city.
Firstly, the staff were exceptional, from the phone booking, through arrival, receptionists, dining room staff, everyone was very pleasant and helpful.
Getting the car into the car park at 1pm was great and we left it there until we were leaving Derry at lunchtime the following day.
Our room was perfect with a lovely view over the Peace Bridge.
We had a dinner in the hotel restaurant and it was very tasty, well presented and not too expensive.
The receptionists suggested a few pubs and we took her advice which worked out great.
We came back to the bar in the hotel for a night cap, it was grand but I can't say I liked the gaming machines in the bar.
Breakfast was self-service and tasty.
All in all, a lovely place to stay

Room Tip: Get a view over the Foyle
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kevin1812

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I went along with a load of my brothers/sisters/nieces/nephews etc to a family bash at the Tower Hotel a year ago. It was very quiet in the main dining room so that didn't look too good. The place itself was faultlessly clean and the staff were quite helpful. The food I ordered wasn't great insomuch that the meat was quite tough but, other than that, it was a reasonably decent din dins. The service was pretty good but I was a little disappointed with the main course.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank sduddy1

Dear Valued Guest,
I appreciate you taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed at this hotel with a group of young people taking a cultural visit to Derry. we dealt with Angela Fitzpatrick and from the outset were looked after really well. We got a fantastic deal to cater for our group, nothing was too much trouble and were even provided with details of local tour companies which were fantastic- Martin McCrossan City Tours a must (especially if you get Garvin as your tour guide!!). Rooms great size, clean and food great. The 2 main sellers of this hotel though are its central location to all historical sites, pubs and shops and the hospitality and humour of the staff that Derry people are famed for. I will be back with my family before Christmas and cant wait.

Room Tip: Martin McCrossan City Tours an absolute must!!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business