“Disgusted”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Derry
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Derry
Reviewed January 14, 2006

Although the Hotel itself is a a really nice place and situated in a wonderful city, I found the staff, ESPECIALLY the manager to be very unhelpful, ignorant and rude. This certain manager I refer to was not willing to discuss my issues and walked away and ignored me. All I wanted was a drink from the bar, and in every Hotel i've been to, you are entitled to be served drinks as long as you have a residents card, which I did and even at that I was refused because apparently I was abusing him for asking why I wouldn't be served. I mean, it is a service I had already paid for when I paid for my room. I won't go into detail but one thing is for sure is that I will never stay in The City Hotel again. All I can say is that I am disgusted.

• Stayed: January 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, we have made many improvements since your review, we do hope you may return and let us know how we have improved.

Reviewed January 12, 2006

Myself and my husband stayed in this hotel for a weekend shopping break. Everything with the stay was good, except the parking facilities in the hotel are very poor for such a big hotel. The carpark under the hotel has only spaces for approx 30 cars. There is carparks beside but it costs £10 for the weekend.
I think the hotel should contribute towards the cost of the carpark. The bar is quite small no real atmosphere with it. Would probably stay again.

• Stayed: November 2005
4  Thank PrivateCoTyrone
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2016

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, we appreciate comments and take on-board all feedback, so that hopefully next time we can earn a 5 star review, thank you for taking the time to review, we hope to see you again soon.

Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed August 24, 2005

I stayed with my friend and her sister and her little boy for 3 nights. The hotel was beautiful, spacious room and very friendly hotel staff. Very central location. The only issue that we had with the Hotel was when checking out. The Booking Centre in Dublin had quoted the price verbally in Euros but upon checkout we found that the price was recorded as Sterling. This issue was taken to the Manager and we came to a compromise however it did put a slight dampener on the whole experience. It wouldnt stop me using the City Hotel again just next time I will be very careful to have everything confirmed in writing before the stay.

• Stayed: August 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2016

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your comments and hope to improve to earn a 5 star review for your next visit, thank you for taking the time to review, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 10, 2005

I stayed in this hotel with my football team for The Foyle Cup. Every member of the team loved the hotel. Very central and perfect for shopping and seeing the city-No taxi or bus fares required. The staff were friendly and helped with everything. However a few commodities(toast, milk etc) appeared to be short supply every morning and had to be asked for...(however we were being cathered for in a seperate room so this may not be the case for normal guests in the restaurant) Having won the cup we feared that the hotel may not have been too keen on our"celebrating" that night however they joined in and there was no trouble at all(they even filled our cup"on the house" for us!) Pool, Jacuzzi, Steam room anmd Gym were all lovely(very relaxing after some hard matches!) Rooms were cleaned every morning. Rooms were very nice-spacious with air condition that you can control. Showers were very powerful-perfect! Food was decent and rather cheap too. I nor any of my team mates or managers would hesitate in going back to this top class hotel!!! :-)

• Stayed: July 2005
9  Thank kathjnr

Reviewed June 27, 2005

I was looking at some of your hotel reviews this evening and was shocked to read of anyone having negative comments about the City Hotel and its surroundings. My family and I travel quite a bit and have stayed in some beautiful hotels around the world. We have been guests at the City Hotel for the past few years, and on every occasion, we have been more than pleased with its staff, accomodations, food, and other amenities. I should add that our home is in New Orleans, so we're used to good cuisine. We shared some memorable meals at the City Hotel with our family and friends. As for the reviewer who was concerned about the safety of the area outside the hotel, again, I must say we walked about freely and never felt threatened. Granted, the crowds exiting the local pubs may be rowdy, but I've never seen any passers-by threatened or even approached.

• Stayed: July 2004
7  Thank neworleanslady1

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your kind words and are happy to be of service, thank you for taking the time to review, we hope to see you again soon.

Kerry
Reviewed June 1, 2005

We stayed in The City Hotel in Derry last weekend, and felt that we should share our wonderful experiance with your customers. Our first visit to the north we found derry to be a lovely city and the hotel was well situated to access town. From the minute we got into the hotel we found every member of the staff friendly and helpful. Our room was quite luxurious as was the lobby area. Great value for money, plenty of options for breakfast, nice bar and a leisure centre with all that you need for a rainy day (as the 3 days we stayed were). The staff made our first break away with our 5 month old baby one of the nicest hotel stays we've had. Highly recommended!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed April 17, 2005

My wife and I stayed in this hotel in April 05.The hotel staff were very friendly and attentive.The restaurant food was average.The hotel location is very central.Derry itself is very run down and the city centre area is not very safe at bar closing time.I would not recommend drinking at night time in any of the local bars-the Hotel Bar is quite good itself.

• Stayed: April 2005
3  Thank bobIreland

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, we appreciate comments and take on-board all feedback, thank you for taking the time to review, we hope to see you again soon.