“Great Hotel - Great City”
Review of City Hotel

City Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Derry
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dublin
“Great Hotel - Great City”
Reviewed August 19, 2009

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and thought it was a really nice hotel. It was our first time to stay in Derry (and Northern Ireland) and we had a really great time.
The staff were really friendly and helpful. There was always a really happy atmosphere in the hotel. The large lobby/bar area was great to just sit/drink and relax.
Our room was on the 6th floor and had great view of the river. The towels in the bathroom were shaped as an elephant, this was very different and thought this was cute. Hotel room was quite warm, but we were able to open our window.
We thought the breakfast was really tasty, there was a big range of food, our favourite was the scrambled egg!!
The hotel is beside nice bars and restaurants so its really central as well.
We didn't use the fitness centre in the hotel, but it looked good.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
CitySales, Sales Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2009
Thanks for your comments and feedback on the hotel. Hopefully you will have the opportunity to stay with us again soon.

Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (537)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed July 28, 2009

The hotel was nice but very expensice for what it is. Be advised parking is an issue. There is only about 40 spaces under the hotel which you will have almost no chance of getting. You will have to park over the road next to the river. NOTE - this is a pay and display parking zone. If you have not got up and paid your parking over the road before 9am you WILL GET A PARKING TICKET. I watched from my window the parking warden standing there chacking her watch and as soon as 9am came she slapped loads of cars with parking tickets. Lucky enough i had already gone out and paid for my parking. I would recommend the £15 upgrade which is what I did. You get a king size bed, a view over looking the river, free TV internet. Good shower with bath robes and slippers plus a fridge which you can put anything you like in - see my pics.
The breakfast....... do not expect anything nice. Its a buffet breakfast and the food looked like it had been there sometime all limp and nasty looking. Howevber you can have cerial and toast - i would recommend that only!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
CitySales, Sales Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, August 11, 2009
Thank you for your review of the City Hotel. Im surprised you found the hotel to be expensive as most of our guests comment that we actually offer good value for money. In terms of our underground carpark, this is limited to 40 spaces and is offered to residents on a 'first come, first served' basis. We would recommend the multistorey car park next door to the hotel and we do offer reduced rates.
We hope you will return to the hotel soon and we look forward to seeing you.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2009

My first time to Northen Ireland and was a little unsure about my experience and safety while staying in Derry. However, decided to book the City Hotel based on the reviews of this site. What can I say, a wonderful welcome awaited me from the top class reception staff and the check-in was a breeze.

I went to my room and was greated with a good view of the river Froyle and an elephant shaped towel display :)

I used the restaurant and ordered the Lamb which came with mashed potatoes and ordered a side order of roasted veg. When it arrived, I was amazed by the amount of meat and the quality of the meal. Top class and marks to the chefs in the restaurant!!

This was a wonderful stay and would recommend it to anyone visiting Derry, and infact, visiting Northen Ireland as this is very much an up and coming tourist destination.

Thank you to all the staff who made me feel so welcome!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
CitySales, Sales Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2009
Thanks for your review and feedback on your stay with us at the City Hotel. Im delighted to hear that you had a great time in Derry and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed July 22, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed for three nights in July. The location of the hotel is excellent, easy to find and close to town. Plenty of good restaurants nearby.
The view from our room was lovely. The room itself lacked nothing.
Reception staff were helpful and friendly the whole time. The food and the service in the restaurant for both dinner and breakfast were both faultess.
The bar staff were friendly but didn't know how to make any cocktails which surprised me.
I would definitely return to this hotel if I were to travel to Derry again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
CitySales, Sales Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay in the City Hotel. Im glad you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Athens, Georgia
Reviewed July 21, 2009

I stayed in the City Hotel for one night in July. The staff at reception were extremely friendly, welcoming and helpful. The room was lovely with a great view of the city and good amenties provided. The towels in the bathroom were put up in such a way that they looked like an elephant. Very fun. The only complaints were the that there were not enough lights in the room for reading and the room was hot and the temperature could not be regulated. This was fixed by opening the window, but a nightclub behind the hotel meant there was lots of noise into the morning hours. The breakfast at the hotel was attrocious. Barely edible. I would skip the food in the hotel. But for a well located hotel, with lovely rooms and super staff I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
CitySales, Sales Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2009
Thank you for your recent review of the City Hotel although i was disappointed to read your comments on our breakfast. The hotel has recently won an award for the standard of the breakfast and therefore i was suprised to read that you found it 'barely edible'. I will certainly investigate this further and we look forward to seeing you again.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 17, 2009

We spent one night at the City Hotel. Parking was easy and available in the hotel lot; the reception friendly and helpful. Our room was a corner room on the 4th floor with a magnificent view of the city and the river. We'd booked a standard double but since it was my birthday I think they made an effort to give us the view. The room was clean, the bed very comfortable, and the bathroom almost elegant. We enjoyed the lobby and bar but the dinner was about average. Wonderful service however at dinner and the following morning for breakfast. This hotel is perfect for walking the walls of the city and along the river. Wish we could have spent more than a night!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
CitySales, Sales Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2009
Thanks for your comments on the City Hotel. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hopefully we will see you again soon.

Limerick
Reviewed June 15, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights while attending a conference that took place at the hotel itself.
The experience was overall positive. The room was spacious and clean, and the staff friendly enough, particularly the conferencing assistants.
One problem was finding a space in the hotel car park. One of my colleagues could not park there and had to go to the pay car park located on the quay, until a space became available. The reception staff were very helpful but had the details of all our reservations wrong for one reason or another, we were lucky that things could be amended without having to try and find another hotel.
Breakfast was average. The bar is a little cramped and the bar staff managed to slip me an out-of-course banknote in change - obviously taking advantage of my not being a local person. There is no free internet access, and we had to purchase vouchers for it.
Overall, it's a good alternative for staying in Derry, central and generally of good quality. It doesn't shine though!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
CitySales, Sales Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2009
Thank you for your recent review on trip advisor in relation to your stay at the hotel. In terms of car parking, we are limited with only 40 spaces but we can offer residents special rates with the multistorey car pack next door. We also will be upgrading our internet offering to guests over the summer months.

I hope you will return to the City Hotel again in the future.