“A fab stay!5 year anniversary” 4 of 5 bubbles

City Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Derry
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Belfast, United Kingdom
“A fab stay!5 year anniversary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

I would recommend this hotel, I can honestly say that for my stay I cannot flaw one thing!! This is because me and my partner had booked a night away for our anniversary. Due to this upon arrival we had received an upgrade! The 7th floor is fab! The hotel had left us a card and some treats! The staff were extremely helpful providing information and evoked a friendly manor. The rooms were first class. The breakfast the next morning was beautiful, and plenty of it! As we we not expecting of this we were truly delighted! The hotel facilities are compact with the reception,bar and restaurant all side by side, the hotel is extremely central. If there was anything to say was not great was car parking has hotel car park is limited spaces but we didn't do too bad we were lucky to get a space in public carpark near by and it cost us a pound!! We will be back!thank u for making are stay special and looking after us!! Kate

• Stayed April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, we are delighted to hear you had a lovely stay for your anniversary and thank you for taking the time to post, we look forward to your return

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
  • Polish first
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

Great hotel situated right in the centre of the city where all the activities take place.Great value for money especially when the special offers are on. Rooms are very comfortable and clean with friendly staff and great food. Been there before and will go back again

Room Tip: Keep an eye out for offers. Check their website and send an e-mail address
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, we are delighted to hear you had a lovely stay and thank you for taking the time to post, we look forward to your return

Staffordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2014

I stayed for 1 night for work and for the price was pleasantly surprised. Despite check in being busy I was quickly checked in and given a warm welcome. The room was spacious, clean, had a super comfy bed and best of all was quiet! There was a great view of the peace bridge and if I'm in the area in the future, the City Hotel will be my first choice.

Breakfast was lovely although I have to agree with an earlier comment regarding the staff repeatedly asking whether we wanted tea/coffee refills. I think we were asked 3 or 4 times, but its better to be asked than not at all!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear HighlandWomble,
Thank you for your review, and for choosing us for your business trip, it's great to hear we are your 1st choice, we hope to see you again soon.

Downpatrick, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

Stayed at this hotel at the beginning of April for the weekend. The staff on arrival were polite and we got booked in. The room we were given was spacious but the lighting was very poor and the artificial lighting within the room did not substitute for this problem.
We left the room for a while on the Friday afternoon and were greeted with plastic glasses of ice upon our return - this I must emphasise I did not ask for! On the Sunday when I went to check out I voiced my concerns regarding hotel staff entering our room and was told by the receptionist that it was the policy of the hotel to be able to enter the room at any time. This I questioned as surely it is a breech of privacy and I have never experienced the likes of before. I went as far as saying "what if I had been in the shower?" and the reply was well we can still enter the room........ what more can I say? this will be one hotel that I will not be going back to! I would however like to see the policy which she referred to!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear CathJohnston
Thank you for your review, We are disappointed to hear your comments and apologise for any inconvenience caused by such a mistake, if you would like to contact me personally I’d be glad to investigate further. operations@cityhotelderry.com

Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I stayed at the City Hotel over Easter Weekend for a family event in the city as the location was ideal for things planned in the city during the stay.
The welcome at reception and check-in process was fine and we were looking forward to seeing our rooms. We were lucky in that our room overlooked the river and peace bridge, whilst other members of the party (on the same booking arrangements) received a much less appealing room overlooking a nearby multi-storey car park. The rooms are fair-sized but there were many unsatisfactory things about them. The rooms (and in fact some of the communal areas) were so stuffy, the air was stale and warm which made for a really uncomfortable stay. Opening the window during the day is fine, but impossible at night due to the main road right outside the window so I suffered from two restless nights. The condition of some of the fittings in the room leave something to be desired: the carpets are in poor order, the furniture was in fair condition and the shower was appalling. The lighting in the bathroom was so poor you couldn't possibly shave / apply make-up in there, the lighting in the bedroom was little better. There was damaged plaster work on the corner of the walls and bathroom grouting was quite dirty.
We didn't make use of many of the facilities at the hotel but the gym looked well equipped and the bar lounge areas were always packed. The next big disappointment was the breakfast.
The first issue was one which could be simply resolved. We were approached by 4 or 5 different members of serving staff offering us tea or coffee. It became very tedious after about the second to say that we have already asked one of your colleagues to get us something. Assign zones to staff perhaps? The staff were all very pleasant, helpful and friendly but their roles were badly defined. The actual quality of the breakfast was also disappointing. Horrible deep-fried sausage things with no sign of meat, and equally terrible white pudding (a speciality I was looking forward to as I don't get to return to Ulster very often). The danish pastries were also of a decidedly average quality.
I gave feedback to the hotel at the time of stay with the same issues flagged as I have done here and I hope they are able to make some improvements as the hotel, given its prime location, should be the foremost hotel in Derry and at the moment is being let down badly by the quality of rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear dh334
Thank you for your review, we are pleased you enjoyed the location, we have a continual improvement and renovation policy in place for rooms and public areas therefore we appreciate all your comments and welcome all recommendations, hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised upon your next visit.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

My sister and I have just returned from a 'Night with the Stars' and overnight stay at this hotel and I can honestly say it was first class from beginning to end! We had booked our parents a weekend stay for their anniversary and we were arriving as an added surprise. The hotel ensured everything was in place and managed to get us booked in the room next door to our parents and ensured we were seated beside them at the cabaret evening -all with superb 'secrecy'! They also went one step further in that both parties were upgraded and our parents received chocolates, wine and a card! The food was fabulous, the rooms were superb and the friendly staff dealt with everything we asked of them, nothing was a bother (an extra thank you to Aine who constantly emailed and phoned us to ensure our requests for the surprise were being met!). The car park is first come first served basis and indeed it was full but, yet again, a staff member came out to our car, took all our bags and directed us to a nearby car park (a few feet away). Thank you to everyone at City Hotel!!

• Stayed April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Dear Julie K
Thank you for your review, we are delighted to hear all the work done behind the scenes worked out perfectly for you, I've passed your kind words on to Aine also.

Winter Springs, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

Could not believe this hotel was 4 stars! It was outdated and the floor of our room had a bump-i guess thats how they ran the electrical into the room?? the internet was not available in the room...We were disappointed...only advantage close to peace bridge and wall city

Room Tip: get the king size bed
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Gene F
Thank you for your review, We have complimentary WiFi which is available in all guest bedrooms and public areas, if any guest has a problem logging a device on the staff are more than happy to help when asked. We endevour to fix any guest issue the moment we are made aware, please let us know where you found the bump so we can rectify.