“Very disappointing from start to finish”
Review of City Hotel

City Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Derry
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Cork, Ireland
“Very disappointing from start to finish”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I stayed here for a conference, which was also being held in the hotel. There were so many issues with this hotel that it would simply take too long to detail them here. A few problems include:
* unauthorised charging of a debit card;
* misleading information regarding times of bar food;
* extremely poor standard breakfast, and poor quality food in general;
* basic rooms, I would class as 3-star at the most;
* poor conference facilities;
* some very poorly trained staff.
I have contacted the hotel directly and the response was a standard issue apology, with a promise my comments would be taken on board. I get the feeling that nothing will change here. It is clearly a popular hotel, though I cannot understand why, apart perhaps from the excellent location. I would recommend staying somehere else.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Exile2011
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Dear Exile2011,
Thank you for your review, I gather you have been in contact with the hotel directly, i trust you will find satisfaction by this avenue. Thank you for your comments

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 1, 2014

The rooms were okay and we paid 15.00 extra that gave us free drinks and snacks which were 3 cans a juice and 2 bottles water and 2 kit-kit and a paper that makes a total of 6.00 9.00 profit to the hotel. The rooms were nice and the bed was lovely with good firm mattress the hotel was clean and tidy and now on to the food that was a bit of a let down it said it was full Irish Breakfast my wife and Ihave been to serval hotels in Derry and that was not a full Irish Breakfast it's was served buffet style dry bacon and potato bread was cold and deep fried sausage cold scrambled eggs so breakfast was not to our liking. On Thomsons restaurant was a bit of a let down we ordered our food and they servered us the wrong food which for some else in last day of our stay we had busy day and we wanted to just stay in the hotel for dinner and give it a seconded chance I am from Gasgow in Scotland I ordered fish and chips and home made tartar sauce to be served fish on bed mash potato and about 5 small chips and a jug of sauce at a price of 13.50 I have never been served potato with fish in chips apart from that the hotel was is in a good location and for that reason I would go again as the staff were friendly and helpful and for that I would stay again if I was staying in Derry ROOM ONLY

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Steven M,
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your comments and take all feedback onboard, we do hope you will make a return visit and try our A La Carte breakfast offering.

Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Londonderry is a great city to visit with bags of history despite its bad press during the 30 years of unpleasantness.This hotel is ideally located on the foyle with easy access to the walls and the city centre.location comes first in my book,facilities second and the friendliness and efficiency of staff third when reserving accommodation and this certainly fits that bill on the first and third counts.rooms are clean and facilities good but whether I would hurry back is a moot question.

Room Tip: Upper floor recommended
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Bader54,
Thank you for your review, we are pleased to hear the staff and location suitably impressed and thank you for staying with us on your travels.

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Just back from a 2 night stay at The City Hotel and was pleasantly surprised at how clean,tidy and comfortable the hotel was. Staff were very helpful and friendly. Our room had a double bed and as we needed 2 singles..it was sorted in less than 15 minutes when there was a single bed set up in the string area. The food in the restaurant was fabulous as was the breakfast. I have nothing negative to say about the hotel and would definitely return again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Avril M
Thank you for your review, we are delighted to hear you had a “Fabulous!” stay and would return, high praise indeed, thanks again.

Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

This is a great hotel. The staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. I had a disabled room with plenty of room for my mobility scooter and a wet room so I had all my needs catered for. We dined in the restaurant and had a fabulous meal. My complements to the chef.the hotel is perfectly located to see all the sights especially The Peace Bridge which is beside the hotel . I recommend this hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Patrick340
Thank you for your review, we are delighted the room and hotel catered for your needs so well and hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stayed last weekend in room 704 - it was our first time at the hotel and will be our last.

Firstly the room was beautiful - really well finished and excellent bedding. The girl who checked us in also needs to be commended - she was very hospitable and welcoming and it was nice to get a tour of the room.

Here's the negatives!
- MAJOR POINT - THE REST OF THE HOTEL IS NOT MODERN - the 7th floor is new and nice therefore what attracted us but after this stay and the GM's attitude we will not be back!
- a coffee machine eg nespresso - at this level of room this would be a big plus - you are provided with instant coffee!!
- I was a bit surprised there was no separate shower - you also have a jazzed up plastic curtain in the bath
- car parking was not reserveable and not a priority for those in the new rooms. Although good that discounted to £12 per night - this added on £24 to the stay
- the pool is like a paddling pool!!! very tiny and the changing area etc is very dirty - plus you need to wear a swimming cap (costing £2.50 each if you don't have one!)

MAJOR HEALTH AND SAFETY ISSUE....
We used the pool facilities on the 2nd floor at approx 445pm on 22.3.14. We were told that the sauna was out of order which was fair enough. We purchased swimming caps and used the changing facilities. Most of the lockers did not work. Other clients had to assist us in getting them to work as there were no instructions.

We used the pool and the jacuzzi. At approx 1715 while I was in the jacuzzi I started to cough quite a lot and had to sit on the edge. The smell of chlorine was very strong. Another customer also remarked on this and advised there was a problem with chlorine levels. We left the area after this to have a shower in the room. We struggled to get the lockers open and I asked the member of staff to sort these. I would not say that the changing room areas were very clean. We were also disappointed with the facilities in the pool area. We both showered and when going for dinner at a nearby restaurant we both noted that we could still smell chlorine of ourselves. I also felt very itchy. I mentioned this to the 2 girls on the reception desk when we came back - they were very understanding and asked if I reported to the pool staff. To be honest they did not appear very interested in customers and it never crossed my mind. increase of chlorine in the water. Fortunately after showering on Sunday we could no longer smell the chlorine - maybe because we were used to it!

The remainder of the hotel does not come close to the 7th floor. We used the bar area once for this reason - perhaps if common areas were styled like the 7th floor this would match the rooms more appropriately.

I emailed the GM with my points raised above and his comments was that the chlorine was within legal levels. I am not convinced!

If you like hotels of 4 or 5 star standard I would not recommend this one. The 7th floor would get at least 4 stars but the rest of the hotel is very poor. I am sure that the hotel will post something on here but I did give the hotel a chance to redeem themselves as I do not post negative comments where not warranted. I hope fellow tripadvisor users see my other reviews and hotels I have stayed to see the standard I expect from this class of hotel which would not be found at City Hotel Derry.

Room Tip: If you are staying here get the 7th floor - avoid the rest of the hotel! There are some nice bars a...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear JohnnyMcComb
Thank you for your review, we are pleased you enjoyed the 7th floor, we do have a continual improvement policy and as such we appreciate all your comments and have discussed with the management team.

Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

We had our second large event here in the beautiful Corinthian Ballroom overlooking the city where we had a large craft and gift fair. From the moment of booking to the staff who helped each of the stall holders in to set up, customer service at bar, restaurant and reception we received first class service and hospitality. The events team are outstanding and nothing was too much trouble. If you are thinking of booking an event for business I cannot recommend highly enough.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Acoyle,
Thank you for your review, and for your continued business and support, we are glad to be of service.