“There was just one thing that baffled me...”
Review of City Hotel

City Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Derry
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This hotel is fantastic, almost. The staff were brilliant, they could not help me any more. Every time I asked them a question they were extremely accomodating. I lost my phone charger and they charged my phone for me. The breakfast was great - at only £7.50 you get a massive selection and can eat as much as you like. The beds were huge and very comfortable. he Leisure facilities are great. The only slight gripe I had was the showers. I was originally in Room 212 (which is a massive room with a bay window overlooking the River Foyle and Queens Square) and I reported that the shower was faulty. The staff sent someone up and he agreed it seemed faulty and said he would get maintenance on to it. It was late in the day so they offered me a new room which I accepted. However the shower was exactly the same in there. The problem with the showers is that it is basically like a massive tap, probably the only way I can describe it. As they were fully booked one of the night I was there four of five nights (I was there on business and stayed Sunday to Tuesday and then again on Thursday) and on the Thursday I had a third room and still the shower was the same. Overall though I was extremely happy with my stay - but the showers baffled me. To clarify I just turning the head and it made no difference.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear gersmad44,
Thank you for your review, and for staying with us again, we are pleased to hear you ejoyed your stay overall and i'll be sure to discuss our eco-friendly shower heads with our management team.

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,109)

Reviewed September 22, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here on 21 September on a room on 6th floor. The staff on reception were lovely and very helpful. The room had amazing views across the river and was of a very high standard. When we returned from a meal the foyer was crowded with people enjoying themselves. It was a real party atmosphere. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Amy M,
Thank you for your review, and for recommending us, we are pleased you and your daughter enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Treated well and fed well. Away for a weekend as a group couldn't be more pleases. Rooms clean and tidy and food great. Would be back in a heartbeat. Great views from the room of the foyle and guildhall. All local conveniences within walking distance. GREAT :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jonnie C

Dear Jonnie C,
Thank you for your review, we are delighted to hear you had a great time and would return again in a heart beat, high praise indeed.

Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here several times, and never been disappointed by rooms, staff, or facilities. Lovely central setting, with great views over the Foyle estuary. Nice function rooms, and decent bar food. Friendly bars.

• Stayed: September 2013
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Dear MadDocNI,
Thank you for your review, and for your continued custom and support, we thank you for taking the time to post.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

The City Hotel is perfect for a visit to Derry. It is central to everything. Staff so helpful and welcoming even during our stay with Celtic Festival and over 200,000 visitors to city. Nice breakfast. Riverview for us with large room. Note no air conditioning but small fan in room. Windows open. Walk easily to walled city and beautiful pedestrian bridge. Near shopping mall and lots of bars and resturants. A real value for the dollar and the best location for concerts on the nearby stages. It was a great find for us on our Irish adventure. Check it out !

Room Tip: Request riverview on upper floor for view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Darinda H,
Thank you for your review, we are delighted to hear you had a wonderful time on your Irish adventure and time spent with us during the Fleadh, we hope you take home lovely memories and speak fondly of us, so that friends may visit in the future.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

This hotel is well worth a vist. It's in a prime location, with lovely views of the river/peace bridge.
Had a lovely room, with great kingsize bed, overlooking the river. Breakfasts were nice and of good quality. Staff couldn't of been more helpful and were very friendly.
The only problem I found was with the lighting in the room - not bright enough, and most difficult in the darker mornings/evenings when trying to apply your make-up!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear 998Lelly21,
Thank you for your review, and lovely comments about our staff, we also are addressing your lighting concern, so thanks also for that, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Comfortable with friendly and well-meaning staff, what could be wrong?

First, the lighting in the rooms is dreadful (except in the bathrooms!). Snazzy pretty lights, but not one is bright, and reading is difficult. I know some people like it fairly dark, but they should have one good light per bedroom, which people who do not want strong lights can just turn off.

Second, the restaurant staff, especially at breakfast, do not listen to what you say, do not bring what you ask, but clear things away before you have finished. Well-intentioned no doubt, but unresponsive and inefficient.

Room Tip: Great views over the river!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear David S,
Thank you for your review, and for staying with us, i've passed your comments to our breakfast and maintenance staff for review, thanks again.