“Prime location Hotel”

City Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Derry
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Located in the city centre this hotel is ideally suited for discovering Derry on foot. Reception staff are friendly and efficient. The restaurant food is excellent value for money and no request is a problem to the staff. We stayed during the jazz festival and because of this the hotel was filled to capacity as a result of this getting a drink became time consuming as lobby was filled with jazz enthusiasts. My only gripe was the king size bed where two mattresses were pushed together and I kept finding the joint during the night. I still would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the city

• Stayed: May 2013
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear DessieDiamond22,
Thank you for your review, we are pleased the location added to your experience and you found the staff friendly and helpful, we thank you for the kind words.

Guest Relations Manager City Hotel Derry

Write a ReviewReviews (2,150)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

On Sunday 5th May, 5 family enjoyed a lovely meal in Thompsons Restaurant, City Hotel. We opted for the 2 x 2 courses for 2 and a bottle of wine for £35 and one other for £17. The setting was lovely as the Tony hendley Band were playing as we had our meal. I had salmon which was very tasty, others had steak(medium rare), pork and chicken. Everyone was impressed with the meal and generous side orders. Deserts also did not disappoint - an excellent apple and cinnimon crumble(very generous portion) hot chocolate brownies, were the best. Waitress was very attentive and made the experience all the more positive. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Bumble321,
Thank you for your review, we are pleased you had an enjoyable meal and found the service and value to be worthy of a high recommendation, we trust you will return soon.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The city of culture really lived up to it's name this weekend and the City Hotel made our weekend four really enjoyable days and nights. Most of the entertainment during the jazz festival was free. Can't wait until August when the Fleadh Cheoil (traditional irish music festival) .The staff at the City Hotel are really friendly and helpful.Food at the hotel is good and reasonably priced. There is live music as far as I know each weekend Friday and Saturday nights and no cover charge. Would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Derry it's central and plenty bars and restaurants around the hotel. No need to take taxis as the hotel is central to all the entertainment.l

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Breige A,
Thank you for your review, we are delighted you had a chance to soak in the delights of the Jazz festival at the hotel and around the city, we hope to see you return soon.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Derry is a very walkable city anyway but this hotel is smack bang in the middle of virtually everything, so couldn't ask for a better location.

Seriously busy as it was Jazz Festival weekend so great buzz everywhere especially in the hotel lobby which had a number of free gigs.

Spacious comfortable rooms, helpful friendly staff, can't comment on the food as we were on a "room only" basis but has the added bonus of a well equipped gym, small pool, jacuzzi & steam room.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear sjt63,
Thank you for your review, we are delighted you found the hotel location fantastic for exploring the city during the Jazz festival and the staff also impressed, we thank you for the kind words.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We recently stayed at the City Hotel and we had a wonderful time. The receptionist who helped us was by far the friendliest and most accommodating of anyone who has helped us during our 8 1/2 month trip through Europe. The breakfast was delicious, the room was large and well put together, and the pool / steam room were a nice addition as well.

We highly recommend the City Hotel and will definitely be back to stay again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #510 and it was spacious, clean and had a great view of the river.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear aejae212,
Thank you for your review, we are pleased to hear your vacation is going well, I believe it was Laura our receptionist that dealt with your check – in, I’ve passed your kind words on to her and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I left a good review for this hotel after my last stay in Halloween 2012. despite it being a very busy time of year for the city, and the hotel. Last autumn, I was staying as a couple, and the experience was good. However, having just returned from another 2 night stay there (April 2013) as a solo traveller, I have to say, it was not the same experience at all. Standards have definitely dropped.

I had booked myself a single occupancy, standard room, and at time of booking made a special request for a double bed as I'd difficulty sleeping in a single. On arrival, I was given a twin room, and promptly rang reception, and was told that there were double bedded rooms available and that someone would be sent up shortly to help me move. The phone then rang ten minutes later and a different voice from reception told me that couples took presidence for rooms with double beds and that they had none on offer me, as some coach parties were due to arrive. Have to say, had I known beforehand that as a single traveller I was not to be afforded the same choice as travelling couples, I'd have chosen a different hotel.

In the room, the pillows were flat and very poor quality, and in the en suite the toilet paper was the cheapest of the cheap, the sort that feels like greaseproof paper. My tip? Very unpleasant - always bring your own loo roll :-) The room was badly lit, with no decent ligting anywhere. This proved most annoying in the bathroom where the spotlights were all pointing in odd directions....a brightly lit toilet bowl, and yet no spotlights aimed anywhere you may need them, like towards the sink/mirror, or in the direction of the bath, were it felt like you were sitting in the dark. Also the shower itself was poor. Instant hot water, but no pressure, and as such the water just trickled out from above. Very lame for such a good hotel. I even notice in one of the two lifts that take you from the lobby to the upper floors, that part of the roof of the compartment was coming apart....this place definitely needs some inspectors to call, with a critical eye for detail.

The hotel blurb quotes free high speed interenet access in both rooms and in the lobby....I would query the artistic license of the term 'high speed'. I could hardly get it to work at all.

Finally, some advice on the 'free parking' quote. The hotel's car park is open to residents only, and you cannot book a space with your reservation. It operates on a first come first served basis and has limited very tight spaces. Last time when I stayed there were no available spaces and I was told to park next door in the Quayside Multistorey because the hotel had an arrangement with the owners, and that my ticket would be validated on checkout. After my stay, on checkout my ticket was validated and there was no charge. Yesterday however, having had to use this facility again, I was stung for £21 for car parking....so always query their parking charges.

Obviously the building is still well placed in its commanding position on the banks of the Foyle, near the GuildHall. The food in the hotel is good quality but restaurant menu is a bit dated, and booking required in advance if you want to eat there over the weekends. Breakfast was good with an excellent choice.

I'd say if you just need someplace central to lay your head whilst in Derry then this hotel is just about adequate...but do not be expecting greatness.

Oh and if you are a solo traveller, with a desire for comfort, check if they have coach parties due during your stay because if they have, your needs will be sidelined - solo travellers should probably look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Noisy hotel at weekends, so higher floors going be quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank BRETT M

Dear BRETT M,
Thank you for your review, and for your previous review commenting on our “service with a smile”,
We do appreciate all your comments and these have been passed to our senior management team for discussion. We do endeavour to fulfil all room requests whenever possible and would like to convey our apologies if this was not possible this time, we do hope you choose to stay with us again so we can reaffirm our “service with a smile” reputation.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for a night in October with my girlfriend. We were given a room for a disabled person as it was apparently the only room left despite booking well in advance. I understand hotels have to provide for everyone but these rooms are nothing like the rooms that are advertised and guests should be told before booking that they are getting one of these. After been out for dinner, we returned to the hotel and went to the bar hoping to get a few drinks, we had just ordered our first drink when the bar was closed. Couldn't believe how early it closed as most hotel bars would continue to serve guests well into the night. Wouldn't stay here again

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Traveljunkieforlife,
Thank you for your review, we do have rooms with extra accessibility features to cater for disabled guests which have the full service and functionality of our other rooms which we use during periods of high occupancy, or upon request. We operate our bar service times in accordance with licensing laws in Northern Ireland. The bar does indeed close to non residents at the prescribed time but this should not affect any guest that makes it clear they are a resident, apologies if this was the case during your last visit.