City Hotel
$81
$78
Agoda.com
2,200 results
All reviewspeace bridgeseventh floorriver viewcar parktrouser pressguild hallsuperior roomleisure facilitiessteam roomcentral locationexcellent hotelcourse mealsaturday nightreception staffboth nightsjazz festivalweekend break
Reviewed March 25, 2008

I stayed in this hotel in Derry as I believed that it was a nice 4 star hotel in Northern Ireland. The location was fine and at first the hotel seemed nice. That was until we got our room. Very basic and much more like a budget 3 star than a 4 star hotel. On the first night we were told we had to move our cars at about 11pm as the car park was flooding. The annoying part was that the staff really didn't help us in any way to move the cars and pointed down the road to another car park. An apology instead of an order would have been nice! Plus it would have been more of a problem if we had been drinking for longer in the bar. Spent the next day touring Antrim, which was fantastic. That night we came back to the bar in the hotel and as while I was waiting for drinks I watched as the hotel manager told two guests, that lost a card for their room, that if they lost another he would gladly let them sleep on the streets. They laughed it off but the manager was serious and in my opinion very unprofessional. This is NOT a 4 star hotel and many others on this site agree. The staff are very unmotivated and the rooms are very very basic, with tiny double beds. For the price (it was expensive) I highly recommend looking elsewhere and I want to know how to the AA rate this as 4 stars!!

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank Wiggles1312
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, we have made many improvements since your review, we do hope you may return and let us know how we have improved.

Reviewed January 28, 2008

I booked this hotel due to the reviews on this website.
I was not dissapointed the hotel is in a great location and the rooms are really spacious and nice.
We had a lovely meal in the restaurant (apart from the 3 hours it took in total) but we weren't complaining as they had a wonderful singer on in the background (joke!!!)
But yes it was really nice and we would stay at this hotel again even if we would never go back to Derry....

3  Thank Monkeyman2003uk
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2016

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, we appreciate comments and take on-board all feedback, so that hopefully next time we can earn a 5 star review, thank you for taking the time to review, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 20, 2008

stayed for one night at City hotel Derry. Stayed with my partner. It was my first visit to the city. The hotel is in a good location by the river. we were lucky to get into the hotel car park which is free. There is only limited space. Onsite parking is not ideal but there are car parks near by which you can pay to use. The reception is bright airy and comfortable. it consists of the bar area and restaurant. the reception staff were very friendly. our room was modern, clean and comfortable. i would not rate this as a 4 star hotel. yes it does have a leisure centre with pool but the room was not of 4 star standard i felt. eg no biscuits on the welcome tray. very few complementary shower gels etc and really bad loo roll !! you may laugh but it all counts. prices at the bar are average. the food at dinner was good although service slow. the breakfast was buffet style which i am not a fan of. we didnt really enjoy our breakfast.My one grudge was the room was so hot and i could not find any air con so ended up opening the window. all in all an average stay.

5  Thank sealink
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2016

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your comments and hope to improve to earn a 5 star review for your next visit, thank you for taking the time to review, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed January 20, 2008

Booked into Hotel on Saturday evening around 7pm, Staff were very pleasant and helpful. We had tickets for a show in Millenium Forum so headed straight there.
Room was clean, fresh and well decorated.
Fully recommend Breakfast - Filling and not greasy.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank smartangel1980

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, and for your kind words, we are proud to be of service, thank you for taking the time to review, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 25, 2007

My wife and I stayed in the City Hotel after I looked at the reviews from TripAdvisor. The BEST decision on a hotel I've ever made. We stayed here with my newborn for 3 nights in mid-December to discover Northern Ireland. The staff was very helpful, allowed us a late checkout, early checkin, and recommended the best massage, hair place right up the road. The location couldn't of been better as there is a Tesco a block away and many many pubs.

During this stay we also had the hotel staff babysit. The girl who watched our son was awesome and only charged £7 an hour, so quite the deal when it came to £21 for the evening.

Although this is a star hotel, I would classify it as a 5 star compared to other hotels I've stayed at in the UK. The pool facility and rooms were extremely clean. The only thing I would recommend is to get a king size bed if you are sleeping more than one. The bed was a bit small for 2, but very comfy.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me before you travel to the City Inn as I would be honoured to pass along some honest information on this wonderful place.
angusboy02@yahoo.com