“LOVELY AND CLEAN AND THE CLEANER WAS BRILLIANT”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of City Hotel

City Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Derry
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bristol, United Kingdom
“LOVELY AND CLEAN AND THE CLEANER WAS BRILLIANT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2012

stayed in the city hotel for 3 days, and i must say, it was brilliant, the man who was incharge of room service, and cleaning, was so helpfull, he was superb.
ive stayed in many many hotels, and this one is in my top list, great food, lovely rooms,. great service, and very central to the town, i think the room service, was the best ever.
would def stay here again. and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: rooms are clean and tidy, and have plenty of room. very well done
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank pauline77-11
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, It may interest you to know we have made many improvements since your review. Including opening our 7th floor of suites and penthouse rooms. We hope you choose to make a return visit in 2014.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Polish first
Antrim, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

I booked a junior suite. The suite was stunning and luxurious, the bed was very comfy, the view out the windows were amazing. I definitly would stay here again, no doubt about it. Thompsons restaurant was well staffed as was the whole hotel, the food was delicious for both dinner and breakfast. The bathroom is huge with a large bath and large power shower, the shower is fantastic.

Only negative is the bathrobes were not luxurious as was advertised, the quality of the robe was poor and felt rough on the skin.

Room Tip: As a special treat, book a suite, you will not be dissapointed, I will definitly be back.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Newfoundland, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

My family and I recently completed another long stay at the City Hotel. Having stayed at several properties in the city in the past, I can confidently say that City Hotel is still the best of the bunch.

The reception staff are among the best I've experienced anywhere -- courteous, genuine, pleasant, and professional. John, the porter, is great guy who is eager to assist guests. The food and service in restaurant is excellent, and the same is true in Coppins Bar. The bar staff are top notch, especially Feidhlim and JP, and the bar manager, Ciaran.

We had two small children with us, and the hotel staff were very helpful and accommodating.

The fitness facilities are great. And they're well maintained.

The hotel's location is also second to none, right in city centre.

Our rooms on the 6th floor were very spacious and clean.

I highly recommend City Hotel.

Room Tip: Highest floors are best when the hotel is busy.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SteveNfld

ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

We stayed three nights at this hotel. its location is perfect adjacent to the city centre. rooms lovely and clean with beautiful view over river foyle and guild hall. food was very good. all inall the best hotel for a citybreak in derry,. also all the staff were great and helpful and welcoming.

Room Tip: get a room on the higher floors with a view of river and peace bridge
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kalysty

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

stayed in this hotel for hallow'een, terrific service in dining room,bar and reception. fireworks display over river Foyle was very imaginative.to quote the TERMINATOR,I'll be back!!!

Room Tip: rooms looking out over the river give a beautiful lift to the senses
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

Wonderful new years weekend at the Derry City hotel. Great staff and facilities. And location couldn't be better for a night in the city. Recommend as best option by far in Derry.

• Stayed December 2011

Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

This is my second time staying at this hotel - to first remind my reader that it is a very decent place. The last time I was here was on Spring break (USA time) and Thursday of that week was St. Patrick's day.

I am writing this review in my hotel room. I am here for business this week. What I didn't know is this is the week before Christmas so they had parties down on the ground floor for the last few nights. The music and the bass vibrate all the way to the third floor where I am staying at this time. If I would had known this, I would had requested a much higher room because it's hard to wake up when you can't sleep until 1:30AM in the morning. So, if you decided to stay at the City Hotel, first, know why you're here, then ask the attendance appropriately. Who knows, maybe at "other" time, not on St. Patrick's week and Christmas week, things should be tamed(?). But, it never hurt to ask.

Other than that, things are not at all bad:
- The place is very quiet when there's no celebration down stair. Unlike some other hotels where I can hear the people walking outside and on the floor above me. Faint noise, yes, but when your mind already thinking about the long day ahead, it makes a big difference!
- Friendly, and helpful staff. Usually took them less than a few minutes to bring me a pitcher of water when called
- Taxi arrangement is just a simple dial to the front desk
- The restaurant has decent food. Here in the winter, it rains almost all the time so decent food in the restaurant is a plus.
- Geographical location for the hotel is also nice. It's by the river, and if you're lucky enough to have a river view room, perfect!
- Being the only hotel down by the Peace Bridge, and yet closer to all the malls and shops uphill, you know you can't get lost. After half a day treading from shops to shops, you might forget your way back. No problem, just head downhill until you reach the river and then find your way back to the hotel.

What to watch for:
- They said on the printed card that they "change towels every second day"; But for both of my stays, they change it every day. Messy room sometimes is good because at least I know where I left my things :)
- Your power cord might be too short ... to reach your bed from the outlets. In both of my stays, *ALL* of the outlet are on the opposite side of the bed. Thinking of charging your phone and leave it by the bedside, forget about it!
- There's no space in front of the toilet! I'm 5'4". And on my last stay and this week, I banged my head on the wall in the front of the toilet! Comical, yes, but true. If you bang your head, remember - "I told you so!" :)

Other than that, if I come here again, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the City Hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay higher up if you come in around a major holiday. The week of St. Patrick's day is a *major...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Kevin D
CityHotelDerry, Guest Relations Manager at City Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, you may be interested to know we have made many improvements since your review and hope you choose to stay with us again so we may have a chance to impress.