“Great Night out in Watts & Co”

The Sooty Olive Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 188 Restaurants in Derry
Cuisines: Irish, European
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Kids, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We are an award winning casual dinning restaurant serving good food at good prices in the heart of the waterside derry
Derry, United Kingdom
“Great Night out in Watts & Co”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

A group of us went out for a meal at Watts & Co a couple of weeks ago for a friend's birthday. We were eating off a set menu but were all very impressed with the quality of the food and the standard of service. The atmosphere in the restaurant is welcoming and relaxed and a great deal of credit for this must go to the staff who were extremely friendly - attentive without being invasive. I had a caesar salad for starters. It's hard to go wrong with this but it was very fresh and well presented. The main course was steak which was cooked to perfection. The desert was particularly good - Ginger Parkin. This was absolutely delicious and I can't recommend it highly enough. I don't usually eat deserts but I'll always make an exception for this! We will definitely be back in Watts & Co.

• Visited February 2013
Kieran2011, Manager at The Sooty Olive Restaurant, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Watts and co, we always aim to produce the highest quaility of food and service to our customers, and it really means so much to us that this recieved by our customers. The Ginger Parkin in a personal favouite of mine as well, the perfect ending to your meal...looking forward to seeing you again very soon.

• Finnish first
“First time customers - treated very poorly!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband & I both live in Belfast but his job has now taken him to Derry where he has been working for 2 years. I travelled up to Derry on Valentines evening where my husband had booked a table for us in Watts & Co - which came highly recommended from a work colleague. He booked the 8.30pm sitting. We arrived @ 8.20pm & we were both given a menu & a glass of pink sparkling wine. We sat in a 'holding area' where 4 other couples were also waiting with a menu & a glass of sparkling wine. Each of their orders were taken and they were all taken into the restaurant. In our interim period another 4 couples came in & were obviously regulars at the restaurant ( good sign) as all the staff knew them by name. We still sat as each of these couples had their order taken & we're shown into the restaurant. It was now 8.55pm and we had been completely ignored for 35minutes. One member of female staff came to the couple who sat opposite us to take their order - but the couple actually said to the female member of staff 'this couple were here before us' .
The female member of staff came to us and said 'are you ready to place your order'? I replied we have been for the last 40 minutes. At this point and for the remainder of our visit - every single member of staff apologised to us when they were either serving our food or drink. This became really annoying as we had sat in the 'holding area' for 40 minutes and no- one came near us to explain why we were waiting so long. - no other customer waited as long as us and now all the staff were aware of our rather long wait. The restaurant was not overly busy so not sure why we were kept so long. My husband & I came to the conclusion that because we were the new customers - we were kept waiting!!
So come on Watts & Co - look after your 'new customers' as they too can become your regular customers!!

1 Thank Mikmary
Thank you for reviewing our restaurant, we appreciate all feedback from our customers. I am very sorry that you were disppointed with your experience at Watts and co. We would never intentially give preferential treatment to our regular customers as we value everyone, be that a regular or first time customer, and I am very sorry that you were made to feel that way. We pride ourselves on the quailty of our food and the service of our front of house staff. I would very much like to see you again to show you that this is not common practice within the restaurant and have the Watts experience that as I'm sure you have seen from other reviews that other customers have had and that you derserve.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best food in Derry”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have eaten in many restaurants, but this is without doubt one of the finest dining experiences I've had in a long while, and by far the best food I've had in Derry. A scallop starter was exquisitely cooked and perfectly seasoned, the squid an explosion of flavour.

The mains were little short of perfect; the veal was tender, succulent and extremely well-accompanied; the haddock was better than any I have tasted; the chips would have pleased Sir Walter Raleigh himself.

The only dessert we tried was the chocolate terrine, which was, unsurprisingly at this stage, a delight to eat. Every dish was a triumph in itself, and they were sized expertly. One gets the feeling that this is a chef who really knows what he is doing. He, and his restaurant, deserve to do well.

Staff were helpful and very friendly, but unobtrusive. The only minor complaint I would have is a slightly lengthy wait between courses. An excellent meal, an excellent experience, and a restaurant I will most certainly return to and recommend. Fantastic.

Derry, United Kingdom
“Went for lunch”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I had wanted to try Watts and Co for a while and decided to go for Lunch. The place is much roomier than it looks from the street. Theres a nice reception area before you get to the dining room and although we were seated straight away because it was lunch, it seemed like a comfortable place to have a few drinks before a meal in the evening.

We got fish and chips and a Steak sandwich. Before our starters came out we were given espresso cups full of the tastiest soup I think I've ever had. When our grub came I was pleasantly surprised. My steak sandwich came with pieces of black pudding in among the steak and was topped with a fried egg with a nice runny yolk in between two nice chunky bits of bread. The batter for the fish was nice and crispy and it came with mushy peas in what looked like a tiny little copper saucepan which was fun.

All the food was really good. The chips deserve a special mention. They were just the way I like them. The crispy outside fluffy middle box was ticked and they were great for alternate dunks in the peppercorn sauce that came with the steak sandwich and the tartar sauce for the fish.

Had a coffee, settled up, had a chat to the staff who had been friendly throughout.

All in all a really great lunch. Food was tasty, service was excellent and the room itself has a really..... i think the word is suave.....a really suave feel about it. Lunch menu didn't break the bank either. I had a glance at the evening menu and whilst it's more expensive than the perpetual 30% off offers in most of the "pile em high" places in town, you get what you pay for.

The food was original, it tasted good and looked great.

I will be back.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank Luke O
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Well done, again!”
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

Ate hear last Saturday - had the fillet steak special for mains. Cooked perfectly, hot side orders & lovely home made chips. Both starters were to die for. .. The chilli squid & the scallops on white choc & parmesan risotto - truely amazing! Served by the very pleasant Sarah.

Cant wait to go back. Love this place!