“Excellent History”

The Apprentice Boys Memorial Hall
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Well worth a visit very informative and lots to see. learned a lot about the history of Derry/ Londonderry its celebrations and the burning of Lundy

Date of experience: September 2012
in 4 reviews
"parts"
"event"

Reviewed August 19, 2012

i took one of their guided tours and found it interesting, if not somewhat bizarre, the ritualism of this semi-secret organisation were a bit quirky to me but the guide was very interesting and it gave me a chance to learn about the protestant culture and viewpoint in Derry or Londonderry. I think anyone interested in history will want to visit this attraction

Date of experience: July 2012
4  Thank MaximillianKolby
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This was our first trip to Derry and we got a nice day so strolled along the walls and found this little gem. I'm a Scot with several Irish branches in my family and grew up near Glasgow so had a bit of knowledge about the seige - or so I thought!

Our guide was just brilliant. He had us entranced - even my 16 year old! Although we are on holiday I'm combining it with a bit of family history research which he was really helpful with in giving me pointers about where to find things.

We didn't get a chance to visit any of the other museums so will be making a return visit to the city but I'm so glad we popped into this one!

The club rooms are very interesting not just in terms of layout but also the background to the various orders that use the building and the 18ft Lundy was quite something. But the wee one was quite cute.

If you visit the city, start your walk of the walls here. Get the background before you wander round.

Date of experience: August 2012
4  Thank Sheffield51
Reviewed August 4, 2012

It was only £2 a pop, so not expecting much. The best bit was watching the 4 shorts films which filled in my knowledge gaps about what the siege of Derry was all about, and for this reason alone I'd recommend a visit. The rest of the exhibits were of some interest, but there weren't many of them. Was interesting to see the various Appentice Boys Club rooms - something a bit creepy about them, being set up like courtrooms - all too Dan Brown for my liking! We also saw this year's doomed effigy of Lundy. You might want to consider starting off your walk of the Walls here since you get a free "Siege Heroes Trail" book that has a useful map and plenty of pictures. Felt a bit like I was taking sides by visiting this attraction, but the closing of the city gates was the defining moment for this town

Date of experience: July 2012
4  Thank Hoohoobug
See more reviews
Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

I took some relatives from Scotland to the Apprentice Boys Memorial Hall as it was 40+ years since they were in it lasted.
It was a very very wet day, we didn't get the tour of Derry's Walls. The visit to the hall made up for it. The Guide (Stewart) was young, but was very knowledgeable on the history of the ABOD and The Siege. The amount of artifacts is unbelievable and the models and displays in the museum on the first floor is a hidden treasure.
Very well done, would encourage anyone who visit Derry/Londonderry to make their way to The Apprentice Boys Memorial Hall.

2  Thank Paul472