“A different expereince”

Clarence House Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Derry
Clarence House Guest House
Ranked #37 of 47 Derry B&B and Inns
Newcastle, Australia
“A different expereince”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2009

Firstly, a lot of the comments regarding the cleanliness of the place are true. Old stains on the quilts, carpets a bit tatty etc the place is also stuck in the 70's (or maybe 60's? I wasnt alive then so not sure!) but to be honest it was as I suggest an expereince, and isn't that part of travelling? I'd say the place would of been first rate 15yrs ago. I get the impression Michael is trying to do it all on his own and is struggling a little.
Michael is so confronting initially, but its just him. He is so full on at first he would intimidate lone female travels no doubt. But he is ever helpful and cant do enough for you during your stay. The breakfast he made was lovely and he is full of helpful and info and just loves to chat, and chat and chat. There are a lot of very nice touches though some people will think handing in their key every time they go out a bit odd. Anyway, its a different place but I'd recommend it for something different. At first we were a little put off, but now we are back home we talk about it and Michael with fondness.
T and A from Australia.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cataluña
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

We stayed in Clarence house this last August and it was an excellent guesthouse.
It is located ten minutes walk to the walled city of Derry, the rooms are clean, charming and comfortable, and the owner provides you all the information you need. It is very amazing to talk with the owner. He has a irish sense of humour.

I reccomend this guesthouse for your staying in Derry.

Ramon Cros

Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank joy7777777
belfast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2008

I booked this accommodation on line through a booking company and after one week I was told that the owner would not honour the booking as he was already full up.
The booking in question was for the 31st October for the Halloween season. I found it highly disappointing that the owner was clearly trying to maximise his booking potential by not moving the status of his accommodation to fully booked. I found it very disappointing that the owner did not try and provide an alternative accommodation solution seeing as we had a legally binding contract for accommodation but clearly they don’t really care about their guests once they have a full house. Or at the very least offer advice as to where best to find alternative accommodation.
I will never use this accommodation again and I write this review to warn other guests that this too could happen to them, as I would be afraid that that I could have landed at the b&b and would be told that they are fully booked and renege on providing what was booked. Perhaps in light of all the bad reviews on line that this establishment has attached it might well have been a blessing that he did not honour his booking.

• Liked — nothing absolutely nothing
  • Disliked — the bad customer service
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank visitor2009

Travelers are raving about these Derry hotels

Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2008

I stayed in this accomodation recently, and must say i wont be staying again. A friend of mine (who happened to be a woman!) booked this place for me as a 'treat' for a stay in Derry. When i arrived she accompanied me into the reception and, as stated by others on this site, the proprietor proceeded to bombard me with questions which were frankly none of his business.

He INSISTED on taking me up to my room, and told me that my friend could only spend 5 minutes in the room!! As said by someone else in reviewing this 'B&B' it was like being back at school.

My friend and i would have walked straight out if she had not already paid for the night. He also told her that there were no double rooms available when she inquired - when it is obvious that all the rooms have double-beds (including the one i stayed in!!). I can only presume that he thought that we were two unmarried people who shouldnt be allowed stay in the same bed!!

She was very upset, at having booked me into such a place. But thankfully i did not spend ANY time in the place, and therefore got to see a lot more of this wonderful city. As stated elsewhere, he insisted on the key being dropped in at all times - and i did not appreciate him entering my room to close the curtains at night while i was out. He was very very intrusive and overbearing. And a control freak.

The bad points about the actual B&B are that the carpet and upholstery needs not only a good cleaning, but a complete replacement! The bed creaked and the room had a must smell. As well as unbearable heat, but this might be to some peoples liking rather than a fault of the hotel.

The only plus point i can find is that i had a very early departure, yet there was still a full breakfast laid on for me - thanks must be given for that.

The location is ideal, but a complete refurbishment and proper management could turn this into a gem.

Stayed February 2008
5 Thank Stan76
Sacramento, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2007

We stayed at the Clarence House for two nights while on an all Ireland tour staying in B&Bs.

The good: Michael, the proprietor, was engaging, interesting and helpful. The breakfast fruit was the best that we had in all of Ireland. The room was comfortable.

The bad: Michael was overbearing, rigid and a total control freak. The room was small, drab and the bed was lumpy.

• Liked — Breakfast fruit
  • Disliked — Proprietor's rules
  • Stayed September 2007
4 Thank VeganChela
Ulster
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2007

Needs modernised, seems to be stuck in 60's with decor and furniture. Over priced, similar prices to modern hotels. Found security camera's intrusive, they where everywhere! Did not favour staff coming into room to draw curtains! Bed linen stained, carpets well past it, complimentary food and drink items where past best before dates (some by many months!), room was way too warm for time of year (couldn't turn radiator off). Positives; Michael the manager was friendly and cheerful, and put a big effort into the breakfast. Located near to walled city, upstairs balcony had a pleasant view of river and parts of the modern city.

• Liked — Location, breakfast.
  • Disliked — Value, house keeping.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Jaywiseman
London, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2007

The location of Clarence House is very convenient if you are a tourist (virtually in the city centre) and this probably explains the price in relation to the service.

The room we had was dated, the carpet dirty, the shower door didn't shut properly and the bed linens were stained (they had been laundered but whatever was on them had not come out). The breakfast is buffet style so if you come later in the morning bear in mind the food has been sitting there for ages.

The owner is very hands on and talks a LOT! We were chastised in front of other guests for going to the corner shop (we were gone about 15-20 mins) without handing in our room key - I felt like I was back at school!

All in all I wouldn't stay here again, for the money there are better B&Bs and Guesthouses in the area.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Quality of the room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank Glasker