“Great Accomodations, Authentic Irish Hospitality”

Clarence House Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Derry
Clarence House Guest House
Ranked #34 of 46 Derry B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I spent two wonderful weeks at the Clarence House in May 2012 and was treated with true Irish hospitality. I slept in Room 6 on the third floor. My room was well decorated and very spacious with a nice LCD TV to catch up on BBC news at night. Michael Slevin, the innkeeper at Clarence House is a very kind man, he took very good care of me and my friends. Every morning I was welcomed to a HUGE Irish breakfast with every breakfast food I could imagine... The tea and coffee were so wonderful and the quality and choices could not be beat. The highlight of my day was to come down to breakfast, drink my coffee and listen to the radio Michael would play. Michael spent so much effort into my breakfast and cleaning my room (once in the morning and again around 5pm for turn down service). I was very impressed!

If you are looking for an authentic Irish experience with a great Irish breakfast, this is the place for you! If you are looking for white glove service and something similar to a Hilton... Then GO to a Hilton! The Clarence House is owned and operated by a homeowner, therefore, you are a guest in his home. Treat Michael with some respect, and he will do the same. I have nothing but great things to say about Michael. I would highly recommend to anyone staying in Derry to stay at The Clarence House. I look forward to staying there again on my next trip to Derry!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Victoria K

Reviewed May 16, 2012

I was lucky enough to stay in the Landsborough Suite at the Clarence House and I have to say, this has been one of the best experiences in a bed and breakfast I've ever had. The keep, Mr. Slevin is kind and humorous and will go out of his way to help when asked. Mr. Slevin prepares a full Irish breakfast every morning and cleans the rooms meticulously every day. He even took me and 3 other guests on a personal tour of the area, seeing a fort built in 300 B.C., Donegal and a lovely island called Inch Island. The accommodations are well kept and clean and absolutely stunning in the way they're set up. I HIGHLY recommend this B&B to anyone and everyone.

Room Tip: The Landsborough Suite is absolutely lovely.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank StephaneeB
Reviewed May 12, 2012

Our trip overseas was 99% pre-planned. The only night we left open was when we eventually landed in Derry. The wonderful lady at tourist info told us there was a huge jazz festival on, plus a bank holiday weekend,and tried her best to find us accommodations. She succeeded finding the four of us rooms at Clarence House. It's a beautiful, old Victorian guest house. We found the rooms clean, and what can we say about Michael? He certainly entertained and welcomed us warmly. We have absolutely no complaints.

Room Tip: On street parking and reasonable walking distance to restaurants. Even the uphill climb walking back...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Nancy B
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I came to Ireland with a study abroad and we stayed at the Clarence House. I cannot believe ow overwhelmingly wonderful the inn keeper is. Every morning he cooks a full hot breakfast complete with multiple types of meat and eggs along with pastries and homemade porridge (the best)!! There is a bar downstairs, and the rooms are clean and quaint. I had my own bathroom with wonderfully hot water in the shower. The bed was comfortable, and the room servicing was fantastic. Every day my shoes were lined up neatly and my jackets hung up. If I come back to Derry/Northern Ireland, this is the only place I would stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank karotop02
Reviewed May 7, 2012

The Clarence House and it's proprietor, Michael Slevin, exemplify all that is warm and wonderful about Derry and his beautiful homeland of Ireland. The Clarence house is Charming and beautiful, the rooms are clean and quaint, the beds unbelieveably comfortable.On cold nights the heat is perfect. He transforms the living area into a gorgeous dining room for a delicious full breakfast in the morning, even with a full house, every person is so well cared for, why would you stay anywhere else? It is conveniently located to all you would want to see in this lovely town of Derry, the new Peace bridge over the river Foyle, both colleges, North West Regional University and the University of Ulster, the shops and wonderful restaurants along the waterfront. I can't reccommend this wonderful guest house highly enough!! Cheers and Enjoy!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Alongfortheride47
Reviewed March 5, 2012

I stayed for two weeks because my employer was paying the bill The place was filthy I had to ask the owner to vacuum my room The milk in the room was replaced only when it became curdled After having words with the owner about deliberately keeping me waiting at the front door before he let me in , ( a little game he plays to amuse himself) the quality of breakfast changed The bacon tasted like it had been lost in the back of the fridge for years Apart from that , it is in a good position and within easy walking distance to central Derry The owner told me that he was sick of being in the business and wanted to sell up and move away It shows The sooner the better

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank ken v
Reviewed August 22, 2011

It was a curious experience. We arrived there one evening at around 9 pm or so, after a few b&b had already turned us down for being fully booked. I asked the price and I went to the car to tell my boyfriend on the price, since it was a bit more we expected. When we came back the two of us with our luggage the owner told me he had no room anymore, he told me he had seen me already leave to see another hotel, we had just merely parked the car and maybe it had taken me 3-4 minutes. He must have been peeping out from a rear window to see us move the car, anyway. So with our luggage in there the owner happened to have a double room but he did not want to give it to us, because he had just talked with a person on the phone (during the 4 minutes I was gone) who was interested. After a bit of ponder, he gave us the room, poor the guy who had just inquired if they had rooms left. The place looked honestly a bit crampy and he told me to pay in advance, so I asked to see the room. The owner asked me: "Why do you want to see the room? Has someone told you anything about it? Because I've heard things". I swore him I had heard nothing, I answered it was common practice for me, I think it's quite usual with b&b you have no reference of, they look shabby and you have been asked 78 GBP. He reluctantly showed me the room, it was crampy but it seemed enough, I was a bit desperate at that time about finding a room for that night so I was about to accept almost anything with no rats in it. Then I gave him my credit card to pay. My surprise was that my credit card was rejected!!! I don't understand, I had been using my card everyday in Northern Ireland and later that evening I used it for dinner and the next morning for the hotel we finally ended up in (Ramada Da Vinci, cheaper, new and nice, no issues). So adding up everything that had happened for those last 10 minutes we decided to leave, we were certainly not welcomed at the Clarence.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple