“Bad customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Custom House Restaurant - CLOSED

Custom House Restaurant
Cuisines: Irish, European, British, International, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Killinchy, United Kingdom
“Bad customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

I called in at noon to make a reservation for evening dinner and was advised that they did not take bookings but I would have no problem at 7 pm. When my party turned up we were asked for our booking! I related what I had been told but was advised that we would have to wait an hour and a half. Needless to say we did not wait and I will not return. Seems somewhat disorganised and made a mess of our evening.

Visited December 2013
5 Thank KenCountyDown
Liam T, Manager at Custom House Restaurant, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Hi KenCountyDown,

Thank you for taking the time to review us.
We appreciate all customer feedback as it helps us to constantly improve the guest experience here at Custom House.

booking policy here at Custom House.
At the weekends we divide our restaurant in regards to what is available to book.
We book out one half leaving the other half on a first come first served basis. This helps us to seat and accommodate as many guests that come through our doors as possible.
This is why you were asked for your booking when you arrived.

If you were unable to book it was due to the reservation slots being fully taken.
I apologise that this was not explained to you on the phone before you arrived.

We hope to have an opportunity to look after you again in the near future.
If you wish to book a table please call me on (+44)2871 373366

• Polish first
dublin, ireland
“Special occasions”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

I went as a guest so didn't pay for the meal. The food is very good: great choice on the menu, very well presented, good size portions, so two courses would be fine. It'd would be a pity to miss out on the dessert course though as the ones I tried were delicious - I was there with a group and we shared a taste of each other's food. I loved the decor too and the layout of the restaurant with a pub-style lobby downstairs and the dining rooms upstairs. It really felt as if you were being treated to a special night out. It felt expensive and somewhere you'd go to mark a big occasion.

• Visited November 2013
Hi AnneHannah,

Thanks for the great feedback about your night out with us here at Custom House.

I will pass your great feedback onto the team here.

We look forward to welcoming you again hopefully in the near future!
“Lovely Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Was shopping at the Foyleside then when for something to with no plans made when to another restaurant first but was told we would have to wait 30 minutes people were walking in past us and getting a table right away so went and checked was told that I had not booked but went I said about people coming in and getting a table that they were regulars and was told I would have to wait another 40 minutes at that we left and went to Custom House busy place staff bend over backwards to help and had a nice friendly chat with them will be back also had a lovely meal well cooked and relaxing place to be in full marks to manangement & staff

Hi CarlieM,

Thanks for the great feedback about your time here at Custom House. I will pass your great feedback to our waiting staff who strive to deliver exceptional and unobtrusive service to all guests and will be pleased to hear your great review.
Coleraine, United Kingdom
“Forget the VAT and enjoy the Custom House”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

We went for lunch recently for the second time in this restaurant which is in a beautifully restored mid 19th century Custom House which used to handle all the big VAT bills for the UK. It is situated convenient to many of the sights and shops of Londonderry.There are a number of private function rooms as well as the bar and upstairs restaurant. We had an excellent, filling and tasty meal of two courses which came to £25 for the two of us. My wife found the pork belly with raisin sauce delicious and I had one of the best beefburgers I have had in a long time. Both came with a choice of side orders and mine included salad. We both chose crème brulee for our dessert. This was a very generous portion and beautifully flavoured. The service was friendly and helpful and our overall impressions were very good. It is now firmly on our itinerary of hostelries.

• Visited November 2013
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the great feedback about your meal with us here at Custom House. I will be passing your comments back to our team here who enjoy hearing of our happy customers.

The next time you're in town we look forward to looking after you again!
Derry
“Family Meal”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

I ate here 2 nights ago with my family an friends. I won't be back!! I ordered sirloin rare. You would have needed a saw to cut it. Waitress told Chef and we were told that we didn't want to hear his reply!! And that the Head Chef was off til the weekend!! Very Poor standards and total lack of Professionalism!! Would strongly recommend staying away!! We spent £350 with no recompense whatsoever.

8 Thank joe90Derry
Hi joe90Derry,

Thank you for your feedback.
I apologise for your experience and for the lack of professionalism that you received.
This is definately not what we are about here at Custom House.
I have sent you a private message to discuss this further.