Whilst the concept of a hotel that offers rooms with self-catering facilities is a good one the experience of staying here was far from ideal. In fact, it was sheer luck that we actually managed to stay there as the doors were shut on our arrival at 17:45h and the phone number on the door went straight to an answerphone. Soon other guests arrived who were in the same situation and it was only because somebody managed to get the phone number of the manager that we had some chance of getting in. The manager arrived about 20min later with barely an apology and we eventually got our room keys at last. The next disappointment came when the( more expensive) penthouse accommodation we booked turned out to be just another apartment although the manager tried to tell me that it was bigger than their standard apartments. The accommodation itself was okay although a bit stuffy and as the hotel is on the main road it was also very noisy throughout. Having booked a cot it was good to see that there was one but this was still in a bag and came with no instructions but after some trial and error I managed to put it up eventually. We also had problems with the heating not working at all which is always a little worrying when travelling with a baby. However, what concerned me most was that the smoke alarms were actually taped over with sellotape – something that I am not sure is actually legal for a hotel. Needless to say there was nobody in reception for checkout the following morning either so we ended up simply putting out key card under the door.
On a positive side the apartment was a good size, had some lovely views over the bay and a good kitchen area. There is also on site multi-storey- parking at the level of your accommodation which makes packing and unpacking much easier
Clearly this is not a place I would stay in again myself but there is room for improvement and I would certainly suggest to
1. Make sure restricted reception hours are clearly marked in your information
2. Try to contact customers that haven’t arrived by the time reception closes and make sure they can check in somehow
3. Don’t claim to offer 5 star facilities when they are nowhere close to that level
4. Don’t call something a penthouse that clearly isn’t one
5. Unblock your smoke alarms so they can actually do their job.
6. Back up your facilities with at least some customer service.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your BT48 Apartotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- BT48 Apartotel Derry, Northern Ireland